Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yep. Jamaica is the litmus test. He can't use travel, club commitment, etc., as an excuse. On the other hand, if he just comes out and says that he just needs more time to decide his int'l future I can deal with that. Committing to a national side is not always an easy decision for dual nationals.

yellowbismark repped this.
  2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those that can read German, its clear how committed Chandler is to FCN. He had an opportunity to sign with a big club, but he chose to re-up with a team that has a chance of being relegated year after year. I can't blame him. Without them, he wouldn't even be in USMNT contention.

3. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, it pretty much sounds like "at this moment I am not 100% sure I am committed to the USA". But, then, that's just me.

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? He has no wish to play for any national team. Sorry, did he turn down Germany and we just didn't hear about it?
    Also, I don't think Lichaj has the same type of upside as Chandler.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  5. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well whatever, I am willing to wait and see re:Chandler, as is apparently Klinsmann, with, presumably, the backing of US Soccer at least tacitly given his position. For what its worth I think Klinsmann is probably making comments based on what he feels is best for the player, and the US, who lets be honest does not seem 100% sold on bringing in German-Americans at some levels, or perhaps its just those people who have to gripe about the national team coach and the players he's picking being whiny. Not sure really.

6. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    If nurnberg's sporting director has to call klismann to smooth things out then one thing is for certain he wants to play for usa. Either as a first choice or eventually if Germany never calls. The hypothosis of chandler deciding he does not want an international career anyway is likely eliminated.

7. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    WE should rename the thread into "Timmay who?"

8. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion Timmy needs to cast his lot with us prior to the two October qualifiers otherwise he can kiss the 2014 World Cup goodbye (and maybe he doesn't care...I don't know).
    Germany will have played two matches by this point in time and he should have a good idea where he stands with them. From the U.S. perspective, the October matches are the final matches before the Hex. If he were to decline multiple call-ups and then decide to hop on board well into qualifying I don't think that will sit well with teammates.
    We've already witnessed what poisonous chemistry can do to a team with the Harkes/Wynalda saga prior to the distrastrous 1998 WC. Not that this compares but the U.S. team generally doen't outclass most opponents. When playing well our team is generally greater the sum of its parts. When those parts aren't on the same page, things fall apart.

9. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Chandler: "The journey would simply be too long. I'm in the middle of the best preparation ever since I'm at the club and the national team journey would pull me out of this. Jürgen Klinsmann of course wasn't happy and a bit disappointed but he understood it."

FCN manager Bader: "Timmy wants to fully concentrate on Nürnberg."

Newspaper speculation: The German American could still switch to Germany and he is not averse to playing for Germany.
    http://www.abendzeitung-nuernberg.d...nberg/Artikel/1203259/Club-sticht-Klinsi-aus/

10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think his team mates would want nothing to do with him on the team, regardless of what us Fans, coaches or US soccer want.

I thought some players made remarks last time when he turned us down that they don't want him on team.

11. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    the journey is not too long for jones, boyd, or williams. do they have faster planes in england, us, scotland?

as a teamate i'd be really annoyed if he came in eventually. what a prima donna, somebody needs to remind him a call-up is an honor and privilege.

12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't hear anything like that publicly. I would think they would want players that help them win unless they are outright a-holes to other players. Chandler hasn't done that by anyone's account that I've heard. Well, Preston Zimmerman hates him because he's not a "real American soccer player" but I don't think Zimmerman got the callup this time.

13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess you didn't play much team sports

adi21 repped this.
  14. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi, not the right forum for going after people with personal snark when they disagree with you. Just a reminder.

15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What part of my post was incorrect. Have you heard something out of the team that I haven't? Also, why be a jerk about it. I have played team sports and people are nice or mean to others on the team for all kinds of reasons or none at all. Until I hear differently, I'm not making any assumptions about this situation. If you prefer to do that, go ahead since you clearly like making assumptions about me.

16. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My personal opinion on all this is that he deep down prefers to play for Germany if all things were equal, considering the Germans chances at prestigiuos silverware and the ease of travel instead of flying to the US 5+ times a year. Also, with Joachim Low reportedly stepping down soon (I thought I've heard this during the Euros), TC might feel he has a legit shot with a new manager (new ideas and opinions on player pool).
    I'm sure he's trying to keep all his options open, at least publicly, but my guess is based on Klinsmann's comments that at least privately he's stating that for the time being he's unsure on his national team commitment.

17. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Löw will coach through the World Cup and then step down.

http://www.zeit.de/sport/2011-03/joachim-loew-vertragsverlaengerung
    http://www.tz-online.de/sport/fussb...r-joachim-macht-nach-2014schluss-2366102.html

18. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Most of the members of the team probably see this for what it is, a player who truely wants to play for Germany and is being recruited by the USA. They saw it with Torres, Rossi and Corona and a few others. I think if he decides to go with the US he will be welcomed by most of the players.

19. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree..., but if he's not in the picture for the 2014 WC does he risk waiting for 2018, theres a lot that could go wrong i.e. injuries, and more competition. Playing for the US nearly guarantees that he will play in the 2014 WC. OTH maybe playing in a WC for the US isn't enough motivation

20. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on everything I've read, it seems like the conflict is between Nurnburg (which he is extremely loyal to) and the US National Team. I don't see anywhere where he's said anything about wanting to play for Germany or of Low being at all interested in taking a look at him. I doubt Low would want to anger his friend Klinsman by calling up a guy like Chandler who isn't any better than what Germany already has at his position anyways.

I'm thinking Chandler will be with the team in September and we can move on to worrying about some other dual national. Having him along with Lichaj and Johnson, our outside back positions should be set for years.

sakibomb523 and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well they got Boateng, Howedes, Jung and Lahm who can play both left and right. And any of those guys is better than Chandler.

deuteronomy and 22SteveD repped this.
  22. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wants to keep the door open, so if Germany never calls he has a fall back option. That is all. He is trying to be nicely non-committal. If Germany calls within the next 2-3 years, he is gone.

The kid is 22. He is still very young, and often in the German system, young players have to wait for opportunities... so he will wait. He will be 24 in 14, and 28 in 18, plus with Germany he has the chance to play two Euro Cups in 16 and 20. I don't fault the kid. He probably thought last year, that the US was a pretty good idea, but then at some point realized that he actually might be good enough for Germany and so he wants to play that out. He most likely has family, an agent, and other people telling him the same thing.

He obviously believes that he can work himself into contention for a Germany spot... maybe not now, but eventually. So he waits, and avoids an American cap tie like the plague.

He isn't coming to play any qualifiers for us this year. Maybe he will get a change of heart in 2013, but I imagine he will wait out 2014 and see if Germany needs him for Euroe 2016. If that doesn't happen he will contact whoever is the US coach after JK and get on the team.

The easy thing would be for US soccer journalists to do their job and ask the obvious questions of JK and Chandler... i.e. what is the plan here? But, most of our journalists are too much of a fan to really go after Timmy on this.

So, Timmy uses his club as an excuse and says things like he can't wait to play again for the US, then won't show up because of "club" issues, when all along JK points out that he hasn't really decided on his international future between the US and Germnay.

The proof is in the pudding, which is avoiding being cap tied. He has had the opportunity to cap tie himself to the US twice now, both during important games, and he has declined. At this point, the ball is in his court, JK ain't calling him in, until Chandler contacts him saying he is set. We will continue to hear rumors that he wants to play and that he is coming... but 10 gets you 20, he isn't coming. My gut tells me he won't play again for the US till after 2016.

orcrist repped this.
  23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what you are saying and understand that it's likely more a club situation than it is a country situation.

My point is Chandler has already played this same card, even when it counted. He has a history of not supporting his country when his presence would have mattered. When he has this history and when his national team coach says that "he's not 100% committed", how does said coach call him so soon and risk being declined yet again......even if the player has promised he'd be there for the team if called.
    Personally, I believe that JK puts his reputation with the rest of the team at risk playing this game with Chandler. I just don't see there being a September reward for Timmy.

Of course, it's very likely that the two have an understanding and that has been communicated to the rest of the team. No one really knows.

What it comes down to for me is American players see callups, even for friendlies, as an honor. They show up and sacrifice for the team. Timmy Chandler doesn't. I don't want that element added to our team, plan and simple.

I hope he eventually proves his committment and convinces me otherwise.

24. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think its a club vs country issue.
    TC has specifically avoided cap-tying callups. He accepted callups during the Nurnburg season when they were friendlies, but in their offseason he has declined twice!
    Plus you have to take into account what Klinsmann has said about this issue about the internal conflict all dual national players have when it comes to national team choices. It was in the context of the questions asked to him about Chandler. I doubt Klinsmann pulled this stuff out of his butt, but relayed it from conversations he had with TC himself.
    Just let Chandler be and down the road if he never ends up on Germany's radar, we can always bring him back in if he is willing and can contribute.

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm that was way it used to be, Euro 2012:
    D Holger Badstuber 23
    D Jerome Boateng 23
    D Bendikt Howedes 24
    D Mats Hummel 23
    D Philipp Lahm 28
    D Per Mertesacker 27
    D Marcel Schmelzer 24

Misc young guys on team, 22 or younger:
    M Mario Gotze 20
    M Ikay Gundogan 21
    M Toni Kroos 22
    M Thomas Muller 22
    F Andre Schurrle 21

Its simply a pipe dream if he would ever get to ride the bench for Germans, becuase as he ages, younger more talented players will arrive as well.