Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.abendzeitung-nuernberg.d...202812/Kiyotake-im--rot-schwarzen-Wunderland/

The German version is: Chandler and clubmate Timm Klose (Switzerland) turned their national team invitations down and their coach Dieter Hecking was very pleased about this because of the German cup game on Sunday (see Lascho's post for further explanation).

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  2. katara

katara New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    It's going to be very interesting to see what happens in September.

3. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as it is alluded to in the article you link to and mentioned directly in this one
    http://www.nordbayern.de/nuernberger-zeitung/nz-sport/club-maks-traum-muss-noch-warten-1.2267367
    Kiyotake will not be making the trip to Japan for the friendly against Venzuela. Of course he just played in the Olympics.

"We of course made the effort and spoke to the Japanese federation, and were very pleased that national team manager Alberto Zaccheroni followed our line of thinking," said FCN Sportdirektor Martin Bader.

And to further support my belief that Hecking is playing at least playing somewhat of a role in Chandler turning down so many call ups, here is an article in which Hecking rails against the August 15 Fifa date.
    http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/d...erspiel-termin-schwachsinn-25564708.bild.html

"This Fifa date right before the season is complete idiocy."

Regarding Mak and Slovakia: "After being out with injury, I warmly recommended to him that he turn down the call-up."

sakibomb523 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  4. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Klinsman's response to a question about Chandler not being on this August roster is truly, "he's not 100% committed", then I dont see how he'll be representing The US in September.

He's going to become 100% in a month? How?

JK may be Americanized German, but he's still German. I think Timmy's going to have to more than just say " ok boss. Now I'm ready."

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok. which one runs first, our qualifiers or Germany's?

6. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA dates are the same.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That means Chandler has some decisions to make if JK asks him next month.

8. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    teams have to release players on fifa dates. if he declined it's 100% player decision.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it takes much to stretch the imagination about how to bring that number below 100.

10. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He simply isn't going to cap tie himself to the US until he is sure that Germany isn't going to come calling.

He has all the time in the world.

He can wait till the middle of next year and still have a good chance of making the 2014 WC for us or Germany, especially if he has a good season and gets transferred to a better team. Heck, he can wait till after 2014. He will still be in his prime for 18.

He must have a fairly good inkling that there is some interest from Germany... some. So he will work hard and avoid the caps, if Germany comes calling then he will suit up for them. If not, he can call JK up, he is assuming that we need him more than he needs us.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing it's Klinsmann's decision, and he doesn't want to call him back up until he can cap tie him (ie vs Jamaica). If Chandler is hedging his bets I'm not sure why he would keep publicly saying "I want to play for the US not Germany" when plenty of lesser players have publicly said "I'll play for either the US or country X" (Diskerud, Corona, John, etc. etc. even Omar Gonzalez) and it has not harmed them.
    IF Chandler is healthy in September and still doesn't get called in, it will look like it's Chandler's decision, and it's probably time to stop spending time thinking about him as an option.

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks give it up, We don't want him if he can't figure out what he wants to do. US players should revolt if he somehow decides he now wants to play for US. We gave him the chance that Germany never was willing to give and he looked like he belonged at that level, now he wants to play for Germany...

Speaking via a conference call ahead of the United States' Wednesday friendly against arch-rivals Mexico at Azteca Stadium, Klinsmann confirmed what most American soccer fans have suspected for some time: Chandler just is not committed to the U.S. team.
    There was no more talk about fatigue nor about Chandler needing to rest. Simply, Chandler just is not sure whether he wants to cap-tie himself to the U.S. team that has already begun its 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.
    "There's nothing new about Timmy," Klinsmann said. "Timmy is not sure yet if he wants to commit 100 percent to us and we don't stress it out. Simple as that. I told Timmy, 'Whenever you made up your mind, let us know. It's no problem.'

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...tted-klinsmann-discusses-roster-and-more.html

13. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So one of them is lying. Chandler gave an interview a few days ago where he clearly said he hasn't regretted it yet to play for the USA, it's a dream etc bla bla. It has to be Chandler then who's the liar, I don't see any reason why Klinsmann should do so.

14. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    As much as I love the guy as a player for Nürnberg, his communication strategy generally is a bit questionable, isn't it? First he said that he loved playing for the US and had "bad experiences in the German youth system" (when he attended what, a grand total of one U15 training camp?) and that he doesn't regret playing for the US and then he goes and skips the cap- tying games and Klinsmann says he's not committed.

It's all a bit strange. Perhaps he just has a bad (media) manager.

15. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yes, it is indeed strange. Chandler's agency is Pro Profil, it's one of the better player's agencies in Germany. Something doesn't add up here. He will never play for Germany if he continues to talk like he's done so far. He'd only manage to piss off both Germany and the USA.

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Or perhaps he's simply not very bright, as is sometimes the case with professional athletes...

adi21 repped this.
  17. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    flem16 and EXALIFTIN repped this.
  18. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a no or an "injury" in September then it's over, case closed. The worst thing JK could do would be to allow him on the team later down the road. That would send a horrible message to the players who bust their ass and are committed to the program. Doing such a thing could cause internal conflicts in the locker room.

BarcaLover and adi21 repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's too late already. Tim Chandler has been talking from both sides of his mouth for a while, already. Before he said he was excited about being called, and JK said he needed a break from the USMNT to figure out his identity and what not. The guy is playing everybody, IMO, and seems to have no wish to play for any national team. So be it.

As I said before, Lichaj can be just as good, if he gets the chance with AV.

kba4life1, adi21 and soccerusa517 repped this.
  21. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree that there's any arbitrary cut off point for Chandler. The only thing that will count Chandler out is if he gets cap tied to Germany. If he doesn't accept a call up to the upcoming qualifiers, then yes, we shouldn't assume he's ever going to play for us. But if he makes up his mind eventually - even if it is years from now - then I think we should take him back (provided his play warrants it, of course).

Am I annoyed that he chose to play for us and then waffled on his commitment? Absolutely. But players like Johnson and Jones committed to team USA at ages older than Chandler is now, and only after failing to make the German team. He can still contribute to us down the line, and if he chooses not too, so be it. We gain little by putting a line in the sand.

xbhaskarx, jaxonmills and yellowbismark repped this.
  22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    We must remember that Chandler is extremely loyal to FC Nurnberg. If his coach tells him not to go, he won't go to this game.

23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    I thinks its easy because Chandler declining this one has more to with his coach and loyalty to club then anything else. he tells Klismann something along the lines of "at this moment i am not 100% sure i am commited to the USA" sounds like a don't bother me for this game but call me back in a month to hear my answer.

24. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of regulars are staying in Europe for club reasons, I am not going to give Chandler any crap on the basis of his decision to skip the Mexico friendly.

If he skips the Jamaica WCQs, I'll have a different opinion.

xbhaskarx and nbarbour repped this.