Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, still rate Boca as our current best center back. Unlike Cherundolo, he doesn't have three young bucks starting in top leagues breathing down his throat.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could have more than three soon:
    Cameron, Ream, Hines, Gonzalez, John, Whitbread, Parkhurst
    (okay I'm reaching)

I think the smart move post 2011 Gold Cup would have been to assume that both Cherundolo and Bocanegra would be out of the picture by 2014 and find their replacements. If it turns out one or both are still good enough to start or even just play, excellent.

3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Age in and of itself means nothing. The concern with older players is the gradual loss of their physical ability. So put aside age and ask if Cherundolo ad Bocanegra are physically keeping up with the game around them? Sure seems like it to me. I'd take Boca's physical ability over Goodson's in a heartbeat. And Cherundolo keeps quietly going about his business.

No harm in grooming their successors, too, but let's be careful to write off guys because of a number.

COMtnGuy, Balerion and TinManJoshua repped this.
  4. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Cherundolo didn't have a particular good season last season. Especially in the Europaleague there were some games were he made some bad mistakes. Though he was struggling with an injury he picked up with the USMNT before the season, if I remember correctly.

Hannover have also finally sold Adil Chihi and gotten in an exciting 22 year old Japanese right back, Hiroki Sakai. Of course Sakai is not just going to replace Cherundolo now and they'll have to see how he adapts to Germany, etc, but I do think Hannover are preparing for life after Steve.

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    IMHO, Boca could lose his starting spot and still be valuable as a backup. He's going to Brazil. Steve on the other hand will likely go from the starting lineup to the outside looking in. Lichaj, and his ability to play both outside back positions, is a much more valuable bench player

6. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

In that case, Lichaj & F. Johnson are on the team. Who else? Chandler, if he decides to play for the US.

After that, who is better than Cherundolo? Castillo? I'd rather Cherundolo, unless another young guy steps forward by then (assuming Cherundolo doesn't completely lose it, suddenly).

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw H.Sakai vs Mexico and the kid as tough as nails with a good set of wheels. I think DOLO's days as a starter are numbered.

8. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Alfredo Morales.

9. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    Possibly, but he hasn't even really begun to create much of a professional resume. Klinsmann seems to like him as a young prospect, but he hasn't capped him yet. Morales still has a ton of work to do.

10. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is expected to be the starting RB for Hertha BSC this season and with Parkhurst and Spector injured I see him getting called in next month.

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Maybe it's just me, but Cherundolo looks like he's been having his hands full when he faces pace. Not totally overmatched, but it's taking everything he's got.

My feeling is that he's still fit to start, but that his days truly are numbered.

RevPOWA repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope Lichaj can lock down a starting spot at AV, as I am not even considering Chandler for a damn thing until he's officially tied to us.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    September it is then.

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, you are probably too young to know what a broken record is......

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is the saying....'Do me wrong, shame on you, do me twice, shame on me"

17. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The saying is "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

LouisZ repped this.
  18. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    on waybto be officially ties is to PLAY in an OFFICIAL match

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I Can't Get Started?

20. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was "fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

babieca, Grumpy in LA, xbhaskarx and 2 others repped this.
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Give them time.

"Our kids is learning ! "

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, no s***. Given he's played friendlies for us and then resisted playing in official matches on two separate occasions, I'll wait until he is playing in an official match before I consider him a contributor to our program going forward. If you'd rather get your hopes up again, go for it. But, all you have is blind hope at this point. Have fun with that.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't told the German media that he wants to to wait for a callup to play for Germany and said last month that everything is good with him and Jurgen so it isn't blind hope, but I understand that you wont believe it until he plays in a WCQ game that will finally cap tie him.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I hope he doesn't show because when he's cap tied we'll never get rid of him and much better fb's will appear but we'll never know because of all the silly hype about a middling fb which means the others will not get a chance. Poor Donovan having to play with this mule.

25. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's with your inane bias against Chandler? I can understand someone being upset that he snubbed a call-up, but to think he's not one of the most talented prospects in the American pool is asinine. He's a 22 year-old in the Bundesliga playing at a position in which the USMNT is thin.