Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure Chandler cares about what Nuernberg wants.

If it werent for Nuernberg giving him a chance to play this year, you wouldn't even be in the position to be outraged right now!

2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the official announcement of the roster for the Gold Cup set to come within the next month, Chandler nevertheless remains focused on the more pressing matter of helping Nürnberg push up the standings towards a potential Europa League spot, leaving any thought regarding his summer activities until after the final weeks of the season are through.

"Nobody knows for sure," he maintains of the likelihood of his inclusion in the Gold Cup roster, concluding, "we'll have to see what the coach does, but we'll see. We'll leave it for the future."

From an old YA article.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chandler was called in by Bradley and he initially accepted

Chandler is just listening to his club like a new young player that just broke into the team

Hopefully Bradley got something in return. Olympic + qualifying release

4. SteveD22

SteveD22 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second this, no big deal this go around.

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Thank you. I was hoping you'd chime in. I'm outta rep for you.

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if this was the Euro Cup if Germany would give a #$@% what Nuremberg thought?

And isn't Olympics a FIFA competition for U23s?? Bradley should not have to trade for it.

7. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bshredder: Calming BigSoccer posters since 1999

Thank you once again!

8. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A player switching from one national team where one is wanted (and played in most recent game) to another that has not shown much interest is very rare.

Chandler publically said some bad things about playing for Germany. Seems unlikely that would change

9. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    And Convey did the same to the US. But it wouldn't surprise any of us if that relationship is eventually repaired. That's the nature of international soccer. I really won't feel comfortable with this until he's cap-tied, but there doesn't appear to be another opportunity to do so in the near future.

10. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just hope he has a rough Fall for Nurnberg :p

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Next fall in the WCQ semis. I too am pretty concerned, but BShredder's words are probably the most reliable we'll hear until he actually accepts a competitive call-up from one of us.

12. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We'll have to wait until Germany names it's 2012 Euro squad next summer.

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No-- Olympics in 2012 will be first. Good question whether they will want him to play then. Regardless, we are waiting a year and if Tim continues to progress, he could get interest from Germany. Unlikely, as they are stocked, but you never know.

14. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I hate to say it but I'm sure they were like Gold Cup Panama Guadalupe what? The German team would have raised the biggest stink.

He seemed to really enjoy his time with us. I'm hoping he is just satisfying his club and will be with us soon. Cause I am super bummed - he could have made a huge difference this summer.

15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany's approach towards dual nationals is not the same as the US approach.

We panic and fret over every player with another passport. Germany doesn't. They produce lots of players of Chandler's talent-level.

Germany lets players make their own choices. They may start to push harder if its clear that the player is world class. Chandler is good, but he's not that good.

This case had nothing to do with Germany vs. USA. This is all about Nurnberg trying to protect its asset. Chandler was invited by Bradley and Nurnberg put some serious pressure to stop it. Chandler would get zero time off heading into preseason that begins June 26.

Would their reaction be different if it was a German player trying to play for Euro 2012? Of course. They are a German club and it's a European competition. They would lose that battle on the PR front.

In this case they are trying to pick a fight that they can win.. and they did win.

I believe that Chandler will be a US player as long as the US is interested. How many players has the US ever lost that have played for the US senior team and that never fell out of favor with the USMNT coach?

When a player is playing with a senior national team, it is VERY rare for that player to switch to another national team unless he falls out of favor with the coach. It's not worth being paranoid about.

16. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Brian always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Just saying though...first your tweet in jest and then the roster announcement didn't look very good

17. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I just wonder though...if that's all it was, why didn't Bob just come out and say it. Seemed like he was being purposely vague

19. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't vague to me.

20. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Bob got pwned by Nurnberg.

That's the last thing you want to say publically is that some European club pushed you around. He'd never get any player released from Europe in the future.. even when he is allowed to have the player on a FIFA date or tournament.

21. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isnt that pretty unacceptable for a MNT coach? To get owned by a Club coach like that?

22. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree with all of this except that Chandler as someone earlier noted was th 4th best defender in the BL this year ( Kicker ratings). That's damn good and if he continues to improve he could be WC.

23. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that we tried to hire Jurgen; lets see a German club turn down a German legend :cool:

24. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Bob trying to be like Bill Belichick, unfortunately Bob doesn't understand the nuances of talking in code

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I absolutely agree that Chandler's in no danger of going to Germany and it was a simple a matter of his club pushing Bradley into letting him get some rest. I would like to think that Bradley would come down a bit more firmly and call the player in anyway if he were more important to the US and as much as Nuremberg was picking a fight they could win, Bradley was avoiding one that wasn't really necessary.

Chandler may well be important in the future. But, right now with Dolo at right back and Donovan playing right mid...well..he's kinda squeezed out anyway beyond a squad player for depth. It's a shame we don't have him as he is excellent for us in that role. But, it's not like we're letting a guy go that was penciled in as a key player for this tournament. I could be wrong, but I'd like to think if the player in question was a regular starting guy and a big part of our team that Bradley would step up and demand his release.