Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For TC to make it he needs to be invited to the 30 man squad "sight unseen" not sure if JK will do that but IF he does and the kid makes it then we got more options in the back 4 because TC can play either back position, thus Cameron can be moved around to where he may also be needed. TC has about 4 weeks to make his case.

2. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at this point im only looking at chandler as a lb (assuming klinsmann insists on johnson in the midfield). ideally i would start cameron/johnson with chandler backing up both, but that doesnt match the reality of what klinsmann wants to do.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he makes it, then JK can take away one less position from defense and add another player in either the midfield or up front. Waiting for a TC latest status.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAP HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Collingsworth and raza_rebel repped this.
  5. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope he recovers and gives his all for the team like he did in Honduras!!!

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Said it before: it's high comedy that the guy who spent 3 years dragging ass and citing every possible excuse to stay with his club is now busting ass to get healthy so he has a shot at going to the World Cup.

I almost want him to get rostered and play okay, just to see the excuse-a-thon fire right back up in time for the 2015 Gold Cup and thus enjoy the resulting meltdown.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm really torn with Chandler as I feel like, at this point, I have to put all my personal feelings aside on his sketchy actions during that whole situation and just say, "I want the best players on the field, period." At his best, he's our best RB (or at least second best but I want Cameron at CB).

It feels a little dirty saying that in a way but with less than 2 months to go I don't care.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    See, I'd rather see Cameron at D-mid, since I think he's a lot better than Beckerman, and I don't trust Jones to stay on script.

I do understand your thought process, though. We're in a spot where Cameron could conceivably be the better option at 3 different spots and it would be great to be able to plug him in wherever the greatest need is.

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Chandler from soccer player's prospective but I have reservations that he can come through for us in the Portugal game vs. CR7 simply because he hasn't shown that he can handle the heat with humidity and that game will be played in the jungle.

11. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I'd invite him to the 30 and see what he does in training and send him out at least for the first game at least as a sub. I'm not sure that he should make the 23 or much less start against Ghana, all things considered, but I think it's worth it to bring him in. I mean, even if Cameron starts at RB, would you rather have a known limited player like Evans waiting in the wings or an unknown higher potential player like Chandler? Granted I'd have Yedlin over Evans to begin with, and Parkhurst could slot in at RB as well, but I do feel like Chandler certainly is worth bring in. I mean if we are looking at someone like Green because we are well aware of the limitations of Shea and Davis, why not look at Chandler as well?

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, unlike the one-off Honduras game, he will have a training camp, hopefully under like conditions, to adapt.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This cannot be repeated enough. It's almost maddening to see it happen over and over and over. Hopefully 3 warm-up matches is enough to get this figured out. He's talented, but the man needs to get it through his fluffy-haired skull that he's simply *not* Michael Bradley.

14. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I soothe my conscience by remembering that there would be 22 other players on the roster who are wholeheartedly dedicated to the team, and who are going to be happier if the team does better, even if one sketchy player is partly responsible for successful results.

15. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    It's borderline humorous how little some fans know about JJ. Michael Bradley still has a lot to do to match the professional career of Jones. You guys can gush all over yourselves about MB, but save it for when he does it against the big boys this summer. This is the same reason Chandler is still even in the discussion.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Ideally, Chandler can use this training camp and World Cup as stepping stones to regaining full fitness. :)

17. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JJ's career, which is better than MB's so far, isn't the point. We don't have the JJ of five years ago, or even two years ago. We have the one who had to drop from Shalke to the Turkish League to find his level. It's still a decent level, but I don't believe it is as good as the level MB is at now.

russ repped this.
  18. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Its not the Club Resume World Cup, though.

The concern with Jones that I have, is that there's no middle ground with him so far with the NT. He's either really, really good, or really poor. When he plays within his role, he's excellent. When he starts wandering around the field trying to do everything, he's a net negative to the team, leaving gaps in behind himself and Bradley.

I like Cameron alongside Bradley because there's no doubt about whether or not Cam will play his assigned role.

LouisZ repped this.
  19. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Really, as far as the 'no middle ground' goes, the same could be said of Bradley. Albeit he has a lot more good games than bad. Don't think the attacking elements of the teams in our group aren't noticing Bradley's defensive liabilities as well as Jones'. That over -chasing... Ronaldo will eat that alive when he cuts inside.

My original post was more to the over the top assertion that Jones is no where near the level of Bradley.
    All three of Cameron, Jones, and Bradley will be in the starting 11 for Ghana, so how and where??

20. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Hmmm. Turkish League v MLS. I'll admit it's close, but I have to say Turkish league is a bit stronger.

21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo, MB dropped from Serie A to MLS to find his level? I agree that this statement doesn't fully represent the facts of the case, but neither does your statement that Jones had to drop from Schalke to Besiktas to find his. That argument doesn't truly represent the reality of finances, relationships, ego, etc. that direct transfers, not to mention Jones needed a place that would buy him and start him, not rotate him. I don't think Turkey is Jones level right now any more than I think MLS is Bradley's level. Personally, although I don't like saying it, MB is faaaar too good right now to be playing at Toronto. No one asked me though before his transfer went through oddly enough.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you bring up past accomplishments to defend a player's current form. Our concerns are valid, don't forget where he is at now, there is a reason for it.

23. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Half the Squad are mercenaries.

24. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree he does look good for his club team, and works well with them, but in just the converse of what you were saying, JJ seems to actively hurt the National Team as much as he helps. He tries to play MB's position, which he's simply not as good at as MB. It reduces the total effectiveness of the team. Again, don't get me wrong. He's very good, but he needs to play a well-defined role to make the USMNT better, otherwise, he hurts the team on balance.

Back to the subject though, I'd really love to see Chandler make a quick comeback. I honestly don't care much about his commitment, so long as he's committed to playing well, period. and if he does enough to make the team come June, I'm doubt the kid would have the arrogance to not be a team player in Brazil. He looked great the one time I saw him play in a friendly. Would be nice to see that again, very soon.