Pre-match: Time to invade Ze Germans - The 2012 CL Final Pre-Pre Match Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Yaroni, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling this will be a just an all around better entertaining final then the past few ones. Both teams have been to the final recently and are hungry for glory. Can't wait!!

2. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    DAFUG?

Your team just beat Real on penalties!

With such a young squad!

We Chelsea fans know how tough penalty shootouts are!

3. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    penalties is just like Tuesday for the german clubs and NT :)

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern IS the German NT.;)

5. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    they used to be.. not anymore :(

Ozil, Khadira, Gotze, Hummels, Raus, Klose, Poldi bunch of others

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I disagree wholeheartedly. This is your second final in what, 3 years and you've won it several times (albeit it's been awhile). Chelsea, while knocking on the door for the better part of a decade, has yet to break through. Another disappointment might lead to a stigma of CL failure being attached to the club I believe. Also if we do not win, we are in the Europa League next year. We desperately need some new blood and it will be tough to recruit players without the attraction of CL play. Add to the fact that Europa League matches mean we'll be playing Thurs/Suns primarily next year and it's not something I look forward to.

Also, nothing would make me happier then for the Geordies to finish 3rd and either Spurs/Le Arse finish 4th...then we win the CL and they don't qualify even though the got the placing they thought they needed.

7. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hmm are you sure that you automatically qualify to the CL next year if you win the current one?

8. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes, you replace the 4th place team in England, which means you have to go thru the qualifiers.

9. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    very interesting indeed... i think if chelsea cant secure the fourth place before the final then it will make things a lil bit complicated for Bayern...

I am cheering for Chelsea till may 19 to win all the games :D

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Exactly. This rule was put into place after Liverpool won but finished 5th behind Everton thereby not normally being able to defend their crowd. UEFA of course changed the rules afterward to allow them to get back in the following year.

I do wonder that if this scenario plays out what it'll mean for our USA tour. The first qualifying CL match is usually middle / late July.

11. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am concerned that we are going to miss the balance Rami gives us down the right side.

Really not sure how i'd play it and still keep Mata central, which I think is key.

12. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I was thinking the same, but at the end of the day, these guys in blue, they'll give anyone a tough day, ask Napoli and Barca!

Cheer loudest on May 5th!

13. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Although not quite as dynamic as Rami, Torres would be our best bet.

Torres on the right, Mata in the middle and Kalou on the left - in RDMs preferred 4-2-3-1 formation.

14. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Well, come on, this is all in good fun, so I can't obviously link decent posts, that will take all of the banter out of this tie.

What's wrong with wishing Robben to pull his hammy or sprain his ankle? It's not like I want to see him die in a fire.......jeez.

16. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    after may 19, in the last minute as we are wining he is welcome to get injured since germany playing the netherland in the euro :eek:

*evil grin*

17. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i thought the match was postponed on May 5 against Liverpool.. no?

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    lol....As long as he doesn't score against us....fine.

19. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Madrid was able to carve Munich's defense a few times last night. And now without 2 of their starting back 4, I hope we can do the same. As much as we dislike Bos, a back 4 of him, Cahill, Luiz, and Cole is pretty damn good. If Cahill is still injured, Essien better get some reps in at CB. I think Cole can neutralize whoever he faces (Ribery and Robben switch back and forth all the time), but the key will be Bosingwa. He'll need some help on the right. Munich have some very crafty players.

In the midfield, we'll likely see some combination of Lampard, Mikel, Mata, Essien, and Kalou. Up top, Drogba, who I think should dominate whatever defense Munich puts out there. That leaves Turnbull, Bertrand, Ferriera, Malouda, Sturridge, Torres, and Romeu on the bench.

I'm sure RDM and his staff are looking at the tapes constantly, looking for weaknesses. We must not sit back. I think we should attack this defense and keep the pressure off of our back 4.

20. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

i'd rather someone competent

21. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    even though nando scored, as soon as i saw him being subbed my heart stopped

hes terrible on the wing purely for the simpla fact that he cannot defend, and i dont expect him to either he's a CF

id rather play essien where rami was, especially if bossingwa is defending on the right against ribery or robben

22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Torres is willing to defend, he's just bad at it. He's actually good as a forward in a 4-3-3 because he puts in good crosses, but we're not playing that way. That being said, we can't play Essien there because he has lost much of his pace, it won't work. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Malouda out there.

23. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    To be fair, what UEFA actually did was change the rules the following season. For the season after Liverpool's win, both Liverpool and Everton were permitted to qualify, with Liverpool having to take the longest route imaginable (helping Stevie G's goal scoring record when he was scoring at will against Northern Irish and Bosnian teams) to qualify. People remember it differently only because Everton lost their play-in and thus didn't qualify for the CL proper.

24. Maurice Dollars

Maurice Dollars ¡Arriba Perú, carajo!

Jan 11, 2011
    Lima, Perú
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    As far as I know, the FA Cup Final is on the 5th.

25. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you are right. I think the scheduled Chelsea vs Liverpool league game was re-scheduled ...

GO CHELSEA!! may you win the FA cup and become fourth and had no motivation to fight in the final! :p