Time for new MLS logo

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by biscuithead, Jul 12, 2011.

1. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i ask only BECAUSE the scudetto already has the MLS cup on it. i think that the gold trimmed champion one would be awesome, and the actual scudetto was, instead of cup and star, just a bigger star instead with the MLS CUP CHAMPION 2011 (or whatever year) on it. that way the cup gets moved to the sleeves, and all teams still get a chance to wear this patch.

very clean design.

2. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that logo. Very clean and simple

3. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This is clearly a very, very rough draft. I like the logos with the trophy posted above better, but I had this idea and wanted to get the concept out there. Obviously, if I had professional skills it'd be much more touched up, evened out, and would have the words "Major League Soccer" somewhere in front of the ball on a banner or underneath it.

4. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    too much of the soccer ball.

5. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's why i like the trophy idea. There is a small soccer ball at the base of the trophy anyway. It incorporates the idea that it's soccer without adding a huge ball to it.

6. ItsMeJPT

ItsMeJPT New Member

May 7, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've thought the MLS logo looked bush league for a while. I really like the cup logo. Clean and sharp.

7. A Hugh Jass

A Hugh Jass Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can somebody send that to someone at the league office? its that good

8. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it wouldn't go down well for the people who believe the Supporter's Shield is the most important trophy of MLS.

9. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    sucks for them. its time they remember what constitutes a championship in MLS.

10. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also won't help the people who believe that Lizard People secretly run the government.

Just because some people believe it doesn't make it any more true

11. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarcasm guys.:p

12. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I now subscribe to the 'Shield = premiership, Cup = championship' idea, and though I think the Shield is more representative of the best team, it's not the trophy with the primary importance put onto it.

That logo would be sick.

13. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very classy. I like it!

14. SkyWarp redded

SkyWarp redded Red Card

Aug 8, 2008
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As a Galaxy fan, I am wary of constant rebranding. I don't believe in change for the sake of change, but maybe if someone presented something cool, I could be persuaded.

15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Constant rebranding? Like once ever in 16 years??

16. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "as a Galaxy fan, I like complaining about the time we ditched a horrible logo and color scheme for one that's clearly tops in the league"

17. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does kinda sorta slightly have a point.

In 16 years we've seen numerous teams change their names and logos. There have been 3 different championship trophies. There was a 3rd division added for a couple years, then dropped. The "Americanized" rules in the early years that have since been dropped. Changes in the playoff format.

But I suppose all of that is to be expected from a young league trying to find its way. We've come a long way in 16 years.

As far as the Galaxy are concerned, I kinda preferred the gold and green with sash over their current boring Real Madrid wannabe look. It would stand out in today's sea of royal blues and navy blues and sky blues.

18. DarthGreedo

DarthGreedo Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The league is still relatively young. Look at the history of baseball or football in this country. The beginning years of those leagues make MLS look like the model of stability. Give it time and everything will settle.

I hope! :eek:

19. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    No but I do agree that if the league decides for sponsorship then that would be a perfect time to change it.

Idk I think we've come a long way from that too with the additions of Seattle, Portland and Phili. Houston brought in some unique colors as well.

20. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension

Whoa Whoa Whoa....Are you trying to tell me the Lizard people do not secretly run the government? Dammit!! I already accepted Pindar, King of the Lizard people as my new overlord. I guess I will just have to wait for google to gain consciousnesses and the robots to rise up before I can accept a new overlord....

Also still waiting for the so called graphic designer to show that he actually has some chops. But I suspect that he is all mouth and no trousers...

21. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Can't believe that that's actually a thing.

22. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I f*ckin love potatoes.

french fries.. garlic fries.. curly fries.. hash browns.. potato chips.. mashed potatoes with gravy.. mashed potatoes with bbq sauce.. baked potato with sour cream n chives.. baked potato with salt n butter.. roasted potatoes.. tater tots.. potato wedges from KFC.. potatoes in a burrito.. potatoes on a pizza.. pizza on a potato.. potato salad.. potato soup.. potato waffles..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfK98f5S00"]Forrest Gump - Shrimps - YouTube[/ame]

23. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone had PM me about re uploading this photo since i noticed it was down:
    [​IMG]

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Potato dumplings. http://czechmatediary.com/2010/05/07/recipe-czech-potato-dumplings/

25. Fhurion

Fhurion Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Thanks KingsCounty, I appreciate the re-upload.

Seeing as it's been a whole year from the last active discussion on this issue, I'd be curious to see where people's heads are at with it now. I was the guy a few weeks back who emailed the ExtraTime Radio podcast re: a new logo, perhaps once the league hits Year 20 or Team 20, or otherwise stabilizes and goes on a branding push. You may recall, if you're a fan of the show, the discussion as the one where Simon Borg shot off on a tangent about a new league name (he suggested "American Premier League"). What a character.

IMHO and as I put in the question to ETR, I think the league could benefit from an updated logo. While we could debate 'til the cows come home about where this ranks on the list of the league's priorities, I see an updated brand coming online with a league milestone (again, team 20 or year 20 perhaps?) as a message to the North American sports scene that soccer/football is here to stay and it's for real.

The same should be true for a couple clubs in need of an updated image (which I'll save for another post), but the time is nearing for an MLS 3.0 (or 4.0, or whatever version we're calling it these days) at least from a branding perspective, as we exit the rapid expansion stage and focus on solidifying the base and converting other North Americans to the soccer scene.