Time for new MLS logo

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by biscuithead, Jul 12, 2011.

1. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Too many stars there. Licenced manufacturers of things like caps and other emboidered items do not like to spend a whole lot of time making little bitty stars on crests. That's one of the reasons why the NFL streamlined their logo a few years ago.

2. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. That didn't even occur to me, interesting.

3. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The Bundesliga logo is a rip-off of the NBA/MLB logos. It was introduced in 2003. The first Bundesliga logo was introduced sometime in the late 90s (before that there was no league logo), possibly 1996. Neither is great, but I prefer the first to the god awful one (the 2003 and 2010 logos are one and the same to me, only a minor update) that came after it:

[​IMG]

4. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, I completely forgot about that Bundesliga logo.

Nothing screams 90s more than that :D

5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. For proof:
    [​IMG]

ji_shuheng repped this.
  6. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How about this for a logo?

[​IMG]

7. biscuithead

biscuithead New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry been busy making a living but I never said I'd be presenting an option for free.

Lots of good discussion here but some seem to miss the point about Apple, it's not about the logo in that case but their branding and how it effects consumers' perceptions. Although, they did have the sense to abandon the rainbow in the early logo.

It probably makes more sense to compare MLS's logo to other American sports leagues rather than European soccer leagues. Fans that recognize the EPL logo would probably be more drawn in by on the field play but a better quality logo might make them more proud to be a supporter. The casual sports fan who may surf by the ESPN MLS Game of the Week, see the logo and the match's Hot Pockets halftime show might wonder how old the players on the field are.

I realize that many out there could care less about this issue and may find it trivial but it's not and if you care about the sport and the league, it seems to me that you'd want it firing on as many cylinders as possible. Many of the league's obstacles will only be overcome with time and the development of talent, establishing a better brand isn't as big of a hurdle.

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bwahahahahahaaaa ....

So you weren't busy making a living when you popped in and started the thread whining about the logo ? What a joke ... but not as big of a joke as "presenting an option for free" .... That's funnier than the LA and SEA God complexes.

The casual sports fan that would happen by the MLS GOTW would keep going anyway because "it's soccer." Changing the logo isn't going to do anything to change the attitude of "it's soccer."

The Hot Pockets' halftime show is in all of our pro sports, not just soccer.

ji_shuheng repped this.
  9. biscuithead

biscuithead New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The design business is cyclical, feast and the famine. What's your line of work, Hail? Do you go around doing it for nothing?

I could be wrong but I don't know of another major sport whose halftime show is sponsored by Hot Pockets.

10. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, sort of.

I'd wager it was simplified primarily because it needed a bit of a refresh and didn't scale well. Stars don't look like stars when they're reproduced at small sizes, and when you have a logo that has to be applied to thousands of items from pencils to patches to jerseys you need a mark that reads well at all sizes. There was also a random number of stars on the old design with no real connection to the league.

The fact that it's easier to fit onto smaller items is nice for manufacturers but I don't think reproduction times were a big factor in the NFL's decision making. When you have a property that big you get to do whatever you want :)

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: Really, tossing up an mspaint or photoshop handjob to illustrate your point and back up your criticism is doing your line of work for free ? Jesus ...

I'm in the military and specifically am a surgical research technician.

Never seen the "good hands" FG nets in college or NFL football presented by AllState ? Or the DirecTV half time show ? Rolaids Relief man in MLB ? ExerGen Temporal Scanner Game Time Temperature in the NFL and CFB ?

It goes on and on and on ....

13. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with having Hot Pockets as a sponsor? They're owned by Nestle, which is a multi-billion dollar multi-national corporation. Isn't that the type of sponsor any league would be happy to have?

14. biscuithead

biscuithead New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have to illustrate my point that the MLS logo is cartoonish.

I know DirecTV and Home Depot sponsor halftime shows in other leagues and both are a step or two above a microwave snack food, in my opinion.

I tip my hat to your service.

15. viktorpulak

viktorpulak New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty active in this thread previously. Just have to chime in here.

Both of these are LIGHT YEARS better than the current MLS logo. The donovan/kick one is too similar to MLB if you ask me, but it goes to show how just a simple edit to the existing logo would go a long way. I still think the cleat needs to be redone to look less cartoony.

Hopefully people will 'get' what we're talking about now...

16. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, you kinda do because just saying it is doesnt make it so. And I also definitely call bs on the "not having time" excuse. It wouldnt take more than 30 minutes to put together a good rough idea. I would know because I could do it.

17. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree completely. I really dig this logo. They've had it for awhile, albiet in different forms. The San-serif they chose was fine, I can't imagine a serif typeface to work with this idea.

18. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a graphic designer, and this thread made me think about how I would go about a new MLS logo.
    I think the trophy is a strong point for a league's logo. The new MLS trophy is a great design so I incorporated it into a very simple 1 or 2 color design scheme.
    Credit to guy who made the first vectorized version of the trophy for the final held in Seattle and the promotionals used for advertising it. I just vectorized his image, so credit to whoever did it originially.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11802100/MISC Temp/MLS proof.jpg[​IMG]

19. amazingjakeo

amazingjakeo New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clean. Modern. Fresh looking. Very nice.

20. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Logo looks great. Like the EPL, the league champion can have a gold-tinted version of the patch.

21. BarraUru

BarraUru Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Why does the logo have to glow and shit ? Can't at just be a regular logo ?

22. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    that's actually a good idea... maybe have the one on the top right...
    instead of blue and green... it's gold trim and gold cup on a black field, while the rest of the league has just the blue patch.

23. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i like this idea. would the MLS scudetto thing still apply with it? or were you looking to have it replace it all, and have the star added the year after they win?

25. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm sure you could come up with a special Scudetto patch as well.

Like a shield perhaps. Let me think on it.. :)