Time for new MLS logo

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by biscuithead, Jul 12, 2011.

1. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    The National and American leagues of baseball disagree with you.

2. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i remember seeing the MLS logo in blue and red when it first started. why did it switch colors to green and blue?

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only it had words in a foreign language. Then it would be cool.

4. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serie Primera Fußball of America (et Canada)

Resurgens repped this.
  5. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SOLD!

I still want a flying/flaming soccer ball in the logo, though.

6. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    the reality of the situation is that the CSA sanctioned a foreign league as their top tier.

the CSA does not and can not make any decisions about the organization and running of MLS. the USSF does.

the CSA does not and can not provide refs for league play. the USSF does.

the CSA does not collect dues from the league. the USSF does.

the USSF is the sole governing body.

Canadian teams can not qualify for CCCL by winning MLS cup as US teams can. they can only gain enterance through the Canadian championship.

Major League Soccer, L.L.C. is incorporated in the state of NY as a United States corporation with its headquarters located at 420 5th Ave. New York, NY 10018. It does not have any articles of incorporation in Canada, nor does it exist on any level as a Canadian corporation.

FIFA recognizes MLS as a US league. Approval was sought by the USSF from FIFA, to allow a Canadian team to join the US league, which was granted. At no time was authorization sought, nor granted, to have a bi-national league.

MLS is not, has never been, and will never be a Canadian league in part or in whole.

here's a list of other situations where we see a team from one country playing in a league of another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_clubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but this is CONCACAF's and the CSA's decision, not MLS's or the USSF's.

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must spread rep ...

Nice reality check for the rest of 'em :D

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did it for you. I'm man enough to admit when I've erred

10. Jonsland

Jonsland New Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    if the league keeps expanding like it continues to do I think it would be time for a name change to the league. I have always though the APL (American Premier League) had a nice ring to it.

11. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why does the name need to change?

on the list of the top 100 issues in MLS, the name is number 102. The logo is 101

12. Jonsland

Jonsland New Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    its not the it necessarily NEEDS to change or anything I just think if were on the topic of changing a logo a name change couldnt hurt either PROVIDING that the league expands like it plans on doing within the next couple of years. I am perfectly content with the way things are now though.

In any case I am new to the forum and was wondering where is this list of top 100 issues in the MLS?

Thanks,

Jonsland

13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, you should get out now before you decide to check out the pro/rel thread and life no longer seems worthwhile.

14. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    That's because they're two different logos. One for baseball, one for LaCrosse....

15. viktorpulak

viktorpulak New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct:
    This is not:
    Snide comments aside; you're just wrong. His assumptions are shared by two or three other clowns? Add me to that list. Ok, so that makes 5. Oh - and the other 295 MILLION people in this country who don't even know the league exists (am I being too generous? Is it more like 299.5 million?).

Particularly interesting is your dismissal of Apple in regards to, of all things, their banding and perception - on the same day they announced that they doubled earnings last quarter. They sold 20.3 million iPhones - they're probably doing something right...

Here's the main graphic from MLS's homepage today:
    [​IMG]

Which logo exudes tradition, nobility, and character, and which looks like Spongebob Squarepants' favorite league?

Take your head out of the sand. The entire league needs a reboot (pun intended), save Seattle, Portland, and maybe Philly.

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh shit, somebody better tell the Bundesliga that it's logo doesn't exude "tradition, nobility, and character."

******** me, you have to be kidding with that statement.

[​IMG]

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple logo original version was the exact same apple you see today, with rainbow colors. Now, it's monochrome. Same logo, just color change. (They did have the Newton logo but it was replaced immediately and never used commercially).

The changes in Apple that have made the company explode have nothing to do with the logo. It's image was changed by their evolution of the market and how they attacked it and what products they produces in order to make that evolution happen. It had nothing to do with changing the logo from rainbow colored to black or silver or white.

Implying as much is flat out stupid.

I'm sorry, but anyone can use novel words to describe something in an effort to make it appear far and away better than something else. That doesn't make it so. The EPL logo exudes none of that to me. In that same regard, the MLS logo doesn't look cartoony to me. It falls directly in line with other USA Major Sport League logos, as it should. Hell, needing that background square around the EPL logo makes it look like clipart ... just saying.

Yeah, I've directly linked it in this thread but for some reason everybody on the "MLS LOGO SUCKS" wagon always ignores the fact that pretty much every major soccer league has a shit logo. Instead, it's just a problem for the MLS because we do it wrong :rolleyes:

18. viktorpulak

viktorpulak New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um, when did i mention Bundesliga?

But now that you bring it up - it's still better than MLS.

19. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious what you mean by this.

And who really cares about a league's logo? I'd be hard-pressed to pick out the logo for any sports league, really.

20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

21. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try to keep up with the big kids here. You talk about how logos need to exude nobility and all that drivel. I simply pointed out that a leading league uses a logo that is just as cartoony as MLS.

La Liga's logo isn't exactly noble. Hell, they use a rainbow and a generic black and white soccer logo.

[​IMG]

22. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I would change the name first.

MLS sounds so not right, and also check out www.mls.com, www.mls.org, www.mls.net
    Will cost fortune to acquire that name for the establish business/organization.
    Ended up with mlssoccer.com some weird uncool name.

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

this is fun ...

Erm, the league isn't looking for a web domain. They've got one (more than that actually, but beside the point).

Weird and uncool LOLSZSSSSXXXAAAA ZORZ name hahahahahyeahstupidleaguesucksbuttLOLSNOWYAHAHAHAA

yeah, because http://www.legaseriea.it/ rolls off the tongue !

http://eredivisielive.nl/eredivisie/ ... it's LIVE BITCH !

http://www.lpfp.pt/ .... awesome, league primera football portugal !!!!!!! yeah !!!!!!

Name change ... GTFO

24. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way the Eredivisie logo could be worse is if the ball was on fire.

25. viktorpulak

viktorpulak New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't implying that simply changing the logo was what made Apple explode. A big part (a very big part) of their success is due to the aesthetics of their products as well as their brand. The iPod is generally regarded as Apple's 'big break'. There was no shortage of portable MP3 players on the market at that time, and many with similar functionality at a lower price. The difference? The iPod was sleek, sexy - it was simple, elegant, white; while everything else was plastic-y and artificially 'high-techy'. In other words, it was just 'cool'. If you don't think that goes a long way in this consumption society, i don't know what to tell you.
    I don't disagree, plenty of terrible logos out there, but you're ignoring the other side of the coin. Those leagues were built organically (for the most part). The demand was there first - the leagues were organized to fill an existing need, like our NFL and MLB. MLS: complete opposite. They created the league first, hoping it would 'catch on'. Since it's inception, it has been in a position of selling itself, unlike other leagues around the world. So yes, it is more of a problem for MLS than the others.

Nothing that hasn't been said a million times before.
    The league logo is cartoony, a lot of the team names are silly, 'mickey mouse' if you will, etc...

In my opinion, contrary to what has been said in this thread, MLS's biggest problem is it's perception. All or most of the other problems are cascading effects of that the fact that noone really takes it seriously. Which is a shame. I think it has a lot of potential. It just has mind-bogglingly poor execution.