Time for a new "Mass Shootings" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem is, at the end of the day, almost ANYTHING can be 'discussed'. Now, discussed 'rationally' is another matter.

2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course what constitutes rational can also be debated

soccernutter and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think I've mentioned before about a friend of mine, (well... my brother, more accurately), who's an Oxford graduate, (Trinity, IIRC), who is now a solicitor. Some years ago we had a lengthy philosophical discussion about politics and, at one point we were reduced to discussing, quite seriously, what the word 'means' means :D

Thus, the problem.

I don't think it's a accident that a country with as many lawyers as the USA, has some of the most ludicrous and idiotic laws, (I suppose we should say 'legalaties' to be fair), imaginable because, as you say, anything CAN be debated and, with enough money and determination, WILL be.

That's how you end up with current US gun laws, Corporations being 'people', etc. etc. Most other countries wouldn't even discuss such matters. It's like US law has been taken hostage by an undergraduate, (probably a stoned one), who's engaging in a thought experiment before he passes out. :D

minerva repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could also say that the National Guard is the well regulated militia and if you want to carry a gun/rifle, you must be part of the National Guard.

The SC as it stands today may not go for it, but may be worth a try.

5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To me that doesn't work either. The NG is a part of the reserve component of the military and by extension an agent of the government and by definition/comparison two distinctly different things. I doubt the SC would even dip a toe in the water in trying to make that connection.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, Tennessee rears it's head-of-stupidity.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/poli...es-for-open-gun-carry-without-permit/7470327/

The Tennessee Senate approved a bill Tuesday that would let gun owners carry their weapons openly without a permit.

Lawmakers voted 25-2 to pass a measure filed by state Sen. Mae Beavers that would do away with the requirement that gun owners go through a background check, receive training and obtain a permit before carrying a handgun in public. Gun owners would have to get a permit only if they plan to conceal their weapons.

"If the word got out or if people knew they could come to Tennessee and carry a weapon, I'm sure that armed robberies are going to increase," said Claiborne County Sheriff David Ray. "Apparently they're wanting everyone in the state of Tennessee to carry a firearm. I'm against that. I think it's ridiculous."

"It's going to build up the stress on law enforcement," said Eric Maston, an owner at Tactical Advantage Corp. "It's going to make some law abiding citizens feel uncomfortable."

7. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Wow...going back to the days of the Wild West...notice how it is never called the Pleasant West, or the Safe West...

fatbastard repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing "some" is an understatement.

Someone else having guns never makes other people feel more comfortable.

9. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the defense in a lot of murder cases is "temporary insanity" - which is closer to anger/rage than a true mental illness.

10. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yay! back to the days of living in a constant state of paranoia and fear for one's life. where any little altercation has the potential to escalate into a deadly situation!

11. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only way I can see getting around the 2nd amendment is to argue that although the 2nd may have guaranteed general gun rights, it did so for the purpose of the defense of the state and it was in the context of not having a standing army. since that is no longer the case (i.e. we have a standing army to defend the state), the purpose for which the 2nd was enacted is no longer applicable. but I don't see the SC going for that either in the current political environment.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/loca...e-substation-5381086.php?cmpid=twitter-mobile

The speakers at the event noted they generally have a good relationship with the police department, but that the arrest of Vichique crossed a line. After refusing to put his weapon down, Vichique was stunned with a Taser and arrested — all of which was caught on video by Vichique.

“I personally was outraged when I saw the video,” said Victoria Montgomery, pregnant and wearing earrings with guns on them. “It's absolutely disgusting.”

Open Carry Texas President C.J. Grisham read the portion of state law that he said the city's ordinance violates and drew cheers when he said San Antonio police should arrest City Council members for passing such an ordinance instead of arresting Vichique.

/quote

13. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    3 dead in Kansas in a shooting at Jewish daycare and cultural center. While the shooter was being arrested he screamed Heil Hitler.

14. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    link? I imagine that's the kind of rumor that can spread very quickly.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Waliatiger repped this.
  16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.kshb.com/news/region-kan...-the-jewish-community-center-in-overland-park

This one also reports the antisemitic remarks from the shooter. Three dead, and apparently two others injured in two distinct locations. They're over a mile apart, and he would have had to cross 119th street, which is a major street with heavy traffic. Seems unlikely he would have walked, but maybe? Bizarre, and certainly not random.

18. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He said Heil hitler.

19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks - I'm still a little bit annoyed with CNN for their Boston Marathon bombing "coverage." Anything that could be taken or construed out of context will be by the major networks, it seems.

20. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    CNN is awful and has nosedived as a credible news organization IMO. The Malaysian airline story was another example of their inaccurate reporting, sensationalism and overkill.

21. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd gladly volunteer for a 15 minute stay in his cell with him...at no charge to the taxpayers.

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    A little Old Testament retributive justice ... ;)

Moishe repped this.
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A bit of 'no-nonsense' smiting, y'mean? ;) :D

Mind you, you fellas have been getting a bit of a reputation for that sort of thing so, maybe not such a good idea? :cautious: Just a thought!