Time for a new "Mass Shootings" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    luftmensch repped this.
  2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It does. But owning shit is pretty cool as well.

4. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we are only at the beginning of the retail market for 3D printers. expect that price to drop like a rock in the next 10 years.

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Agreed. Which would only leave the obstacle of 'printing' bullets, no?

7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santa Cruz, which is a laid back beach community. This is the first time that police in Santa Cruz have been killed in the line of duty.

Too bad there weren't any good guys with guns around to stop that bad guy with a gun... oh, wait.

8. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Not sure about most of you but i knew (roughly) how many gun deaths were happening in this country before newton. But if it makes you feel better about yourself now because you come into this thread and post a link to a shooting story, dont let me stop you (see im giving you permission). I just hope you arent deluding yourself into thinking you are doing something constructive. If you care that much spend that time posting links writing to your representatives, protesting, and just in general advocating change in a place where i dunno, 90% of the people dont already agree with you. That might take some work though right?

9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think part of the problem not is that you, I, and a lot of the posters here do have an idea of the gun related deaths - the problem is not the overall numbers, which tend to be just that, numbers, that have little meaning. Rather the human stories behind them, which when linked here, add colour (and emotion) to the dialogue - which could act as a motivator for change.

So I say post all the horrible details here.

10. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    luftmensch repped this.
  11. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't we do both? or are the two mutually exclusive in your mind?

Chris M. repped this.
  12. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    You are right. If you spend as much time and effort doing that already, outside of just link dumping from any of the 9 billion websites i can and do often read the same links from, good job. I apologize. Now its just a matter of being redundant.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Florida dog didn't quite live up to his species' reputation as man's best friend, accidentally shooting his owner in the leg with a .380 pistol on a car ride, Highlands Today reported Monday.
    Gregory Dale Lanier, 35, of Sebring, Fla., didn't know the gun resting on the floor of his truck was loaded until his dog accidentally (we can only assume) kicked it and it fired a bullet into Lanier's leg.
    "Lanier said he heard boom, saw smoke and felt a burning in his leg," Sebring Police Cmdr. Steve Carr said.
    Police did not arrest the dog.
    This isn't the first time a dog has fired a weapon at their owner. In 2011, a yellow Labrador from Utah jumped onto a 12-gauge shotgun and fired 27 pellets into his owner's buttocks.

Auriaprottu and raza_rebel repped this.
  14. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    There had to be cats involved in a secret dastardly plot to make dogs look bad.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Toaster - you have my permission as the Founding Father of the Mass Shootings threads to post all positive, "i shot me an intruder" stories that your lil Googling heart can find. Trayvon Martin stories don't count.

Auriaprottu, minerva and JeremyEritrea repped this.
  16. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I have no doubt there are a lot more stories for firearm accidents/murders than there are for incidents where they save lives. That was not my point. Let me ask you a question, to what end are you posting these links every day? I'm curious as to what you think its accomplishing. I can go to any of the billions of news sites for this stuff, i cant get the discussion we have here at those sites however.

If i start posting the stories from the NRA blog or whatever the hell they have where they actually find instances where firearms did save lives, am i furthering the gun control argument in any fashion?

17. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Surely it was because of that black cat all those cats elected and a false flag operation.

Moishe and ToasterLeavins repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    All movements have to start somewhere. We got desensitized to wanton gun violence somewhere along the way because of "rights" and big spending by special interests. I think if you or I lived in a hood wracked with violence daily, you'd be singing a different tune & I'd be even more militant about needless gun violence.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well...our country was founded on gun violence and brutality in order to tame the west. It's built into our DNA.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  21. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    The press conferences Wayne LaPierre did after the Newtown shooting keeps playing in my head. Especially these quotes

We need to have every single school in America immediately deploy a protection program proven to work —and by that I mean armed security.”
    OR
    “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Would you rather have your 911 call bring a good guy with a gun from a mile away … or a minute away?”

Then I go to the local supermarket and see all the people who struggle at the self checkout lines and think "Shite, we are fcuked if these people are expected to make cool clear decisions under fire."

JeremyEritrea, luftmensch and Smurfquake repped this.
  22. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    From the article: "... the gun misfired ..."

Yeah, it's the gun's fault.

raza_rebel and dapip repped this.
  23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    As misfire is when the gun doesn't go off (unless the usage has changed spectacularly since I was a child.)

No one gets shot in a misfire unless it hangs fire and they look down the barrel to see what went wrong...

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Oh come on. The only one that happens to is that cartoon character, y-lee coyote.

25. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Small point, but this is at least the second time you have done this. The name is "Newtown." It might be picky, but your lowercase misspelling of the name just strikes me as dismissive of those victims.

You are right that things are different now then they were before Newtown. Going back to Columbine, I have become increasingly uneasy about gun policy in this country, and increasingly upset about these massacre stories as well as the nightly morgue updates here in Chicago. As someone who grew up in gun country and has supported gun rights, it has been a very painful evolution. But Newtown DID change things for a lot of people, including the President. It was a tipping point. Will it last? To be honest, I thought the NRA "delay and let it die down" strategy would have worked by now. In the past, we had moved on from Virginia Tech and Aurora and others.

Something has fundamentally changed. Just last year, the Hadiya Pendleton story would have barely made news in Chicago. People are finally fed up. These are not ultra liberals and hippies. People like Joe Manchin and Joe Scarborough and others, including me, have changed our fundamental positions on guns. Now, people are recognizing the fact that we have had multiple "Newtowns" here in Chicago in the few months since the real Newtown. People are paying more attention to accidental shootings.

This is all good. This is democracy as the majority pendulum is swinging in a way that we have not seen before. So, lecture all you want about how we weren't barking at the moon before "newton" or how this discussion isn't doing any good. Doesn't matter. This discussion is taking place everywhere now. People involved in this discussion on here ARE calling their representatives and talking to family members and helping to change the discussion.

Contrary views are absolutely welcome. But when they include statements of pure defiance or "I don't believe what you are saying" then it is difficult.