Time for a new "Mass Shootings" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Did we miss the triple slaying in Southern Cal?

TUSTIN - Tuesday's early morning commute was just getting under way on suburban Orange County's network of freeways when Melvin Lee Edwards pulled up to a stop sign near a busy off-ramp.

It was just after 5 a.m. and Edwards, 69, was on his way to work when, police say, a fleeing murder suspect forced him out of his BMW at gunpoint, marched him across the street and shot him three times from behind as horrified commuters watched.

The shooting was the second of three murders in a trail of carnage early Tuesday that spanned 25 miles -- but lasted just an hour. The shooter, 20-year-old Ali Syed, killed a woman in the home he shared with his parents, killed two drivers during carjackings, injured two others and shot up cars on a busy freeway interchange before committing suicide as police closed in, authorities said.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ooh, that quip was strong on the spelling :) ... but not so hot on the current affairs;).

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm guessing that's a yes.

Of course, there may be a bright side to that sort of thing. If these things pass with nobody commenting or even noticing, maybe the desperate pleas for attention they clearly are will take a different, (meaning, less destructive), form.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So I'm in Chicago on a company training seminar. Had lunch with some guys from Indiana I've never met before. These 2 guys basically spent lunch teaching me how to hide guns from confiscating government agents. Something to do with hiding guns inside PVC pipes at least 3 feet down in your backyard. According to them Missouri has already banned guns and people have 90 days to turn them in before agents come out

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/44479

NRA
    Cars
    Guns
    Mental Illness

What else do you want?

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guns vs Cars:

According to a new analysis of 2009 federal government data (the most recent year for which state-by-state information is available for motor vehicle and firearm mortality) by my organization, the Violence Policy Center, the 10 states that experienced this counter-intuitive shift are:
    • Alaska: 104 gun deaths, 84 motor vehicle deaths
    • Arizona: 856 gun deaths, 809 motor vehicle deaths
    • Colorado: 583 gun deaths, 565 motor vehicle deaths
    • Indiana: 735 gun deaths, 715 motor vehicle deaths
    • Michigan: 1,095 gun deaths, 977 motor vehicle deaths
    • Nevada: 406 gun deaths, 255 motor vehicle deaths
    • Oregon: 417 gun deaths, 394 motor vehicle deaths
    • Utah: 260 gun deaths, 256 motor vehicle deaths
    • Virginia: 836 gun deaths, 827 motor vehicle deaths
    • Washington: 623 gun deaths, 580 motor vehicle deaths

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    That's the perfect time to ask the waiter to go back to the kitchen and see if he/she can make you a tinfoil hat. You have to be tuned into the proper frequency after all. :D

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Comparing gun deaths to cac deaths is interesting. Of course, the analysis is not complete until you compare the number of successful trips to work and the store and school and soccer practice ... To the number of times the guns stopped the bad guys.

Gold is the Colour repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Big win to vee-hi-cles! Also - knives, bats (except the Mets' outfield), axes, pitchforks, ice picks and even a motorcycle being driven by an 18 yr. old wearing flip-flops & no helmet.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how did you respond?

Missouri? WTF? Seems they got it ever so slightly wrong. Missouri is where one of their nutcase state legislators wants to make it illegal to even propose legislation that limits gun rights.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I realise this is OT strictly speaking but, bearing in mind the 'Switzerland also has guns' meme we've all enjoyed(sic) so much, it's kinda relevant...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21601323

Several people have been killed and seriously injured during a shooting at a factory near the Swiss city of Lucerne, police say.

The incident happened at the Kronospan wood processing plant in the town of Menznau.

The Luzerner Zeitung newspaper said three people were dead, including the gunman, and seven seriously injured - but this was not confirmed.

The paper said shooting started in the canteen at around 09:00 (08:00 GMT).
    "The workers were eating a snack in the cafeteria during the morning, and there was a massacre," said a man quoted by the Swiss news website 20minutes, who had phoned the factory to check on the welfare of his father.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    2 cops killed somewhere in Cali.

15. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    You can keep posting your daily little shooting articles, and act like it means something. You arent even going to get an assault weapons ban passed. (which isnt where the problem lies anyway). I hope you keep posting the shootings, because you sure as shit were slacking the last 20 years before the newton shooting.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Glad we have your permission. I'm really sorry we hadn't started a thread about this 20 years ago. Our collective bad. Obviously, that means we didn't give a shit about America's adoration of firearms and the epidemic of gun violence in this country.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think we should continue to ignore the problem...problem? What problem?

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I could talk about how the Red Bulls will win a championship this year, but I prefer real-world conversations.

Funkfoot, minerva and Chesco United repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me respond in a less sarcastic manner...

It does. It provide an awareness of how gun violence occurs every day, often with multiple killings. It is not just numbers, but stories.
    That is the responsability of Congress, not CP or anybody on this board.
    Which has been discussed and is appearant within this thread, many of use (all?) understanding that. Using the assualt weapson ban as an end-point goal for those of us on the stricter regulation side is...dumb.
    Speaking for myself, 20 years ago I did not have the same view of guns as I do today. 20 years ago, I thought it was "cool" that a friend had an AK-47 in his closet (illegally purchased). Today I would find that stupid and irresponsable.

20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Police: Conn. woman gets grandsons from daycare on 1 boy's 2nd birthday, kills them, herself

Jesus.

21. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we don't have a gun control failure thread yet...

http://reason.com/blog/2013/02/27/gun-control-laws-increasingly-irrelevant

22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    How cost effective is a 3D printer making a gun though?

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are going to bring up gun "control" laws...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/u...obstacles-for-gunman.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0