Time for a new "Mass Shootings" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    "To me, 10- and 11-year-olds do bad things," he said. "They throw rocks through windows. They shoot BB guns at people's cars. They hit people with sticks, they set a cat on fire. Those are things that children do. But this was a plot to kill."

Ummmmm. One of those things is not like the other. I don't list "setting a cat on fire" as a "thing children do."

2. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's something children who grow up to be prosecuting attorneys do.

And honestly, if a 10 or 11-year-old is doing any of those things I'd be a little concerned.

Dante, Dr. Wankler and Chesco United repped this.
  3. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Yea excuse me if im not okay with people like you declaring if what i have has a purpose.

4. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in a way, all things have a purpose. I'm just determining whether it's an appropriate purpose for a private citizen.

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

ToasterLeavins repped this.
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When I was a kid, we'd shoot cats with BB guns, set them on fire, and throw them through windows.

Perhaps that's why I grew up to be a conceptual artist

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The purpose of the gun is to protect your 4 year old from ni...people who might shoot him. :cautious:

Auriaprottu and minerva repped this.
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The underlying tone of the comment was that she should not have had a gun in the apartment. That is definitely different from having Drano.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf

Shockingly guns are almost as deadly as exposure to chemicals and I'm guessing that close to 100% of households have some kind of chemical at home. Except wyle's. He ages his own vinegar and mines his own caustic soda when needed.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know were only repping you coz we think you`re kidding, right? :eek:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn it, by way of joking, was about to post that so far today, we appear to be mass-shooting free. but just wanted to double check before I posted it, and sure enough!

"A chaotic 25-minute shooting spree through Orange County early Tuesday left a trail of dead and injured victims before the shooter stopped and killed himself, police said.
    There were at least six crime scenes, Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino told KNBC-TV.
    The shootings started with an apparent carjacking just after 5 a.m. Tuesday in an unincorporated Ladera Ranch area of Orange County, said Tustin police Supervisor Dave Kanoti.
    From 5:30 a.m. to 5:55 a.m., Tustin police received police reports of shootings in several locations, he said."
    http://news.yahoo.com/several-dead-southern-california-shooting-spree-160956356.html

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We haven't got to the point where these things don't even make the headlines, have we? :(

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy cow.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/mike-leara-missouri-gun-bill-felony.php?ref=fpblg

Ladies and gentlemen, the modern Republican party.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Two 18 year old girls shot and killed in the Chicago area on Friday. In Illinois, child deaths from firearms now exceed child deaths from traffic accidents. (Yes, those 18 year olds aren't technically included in the child death category ... but you get the point.)

Leara can go talk to the moms of those two 18 year olds and tell those parents why their children are the price that we pay for freedom. Come on, Leara, go right ahead, look them in the eye and tell them.

The answer to the article below, obviously, is Yes.

http://raniakhalek.com/2012/12/17/do-white-children-have-to-die-for-lawmakers-to-give-a-shit/

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't list gang assaulting a schoolmate as thing children do. But apparently 47% of the population thinks that's alright, given their November 2012 vote.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why just a few months ago they portrayed themselves as the only true defenders of the Constitution. Now it would seem that the only part of that document they really care about is the Second Amendment, because this asshat seems to be willing to gut the First Amendment in order to protect his personal interpretation of the Second.

Again I ask, where the hell is this evidence of a Republican Civil War, because all I see are the same delusional right wingers who ran the party into the ground the last election.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's not happening. The Fox/Rush/Tea Party wing can and will excommunicate dissenters. And those who would dissent are cowed.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Andy Borowitz in The New Yorker tries but even some of his suggestions seem more plausible than the stuff they actually come out with...

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Apt, though, since Leara has some ox-like qualities, and he appears to be a moron.

soccernutter and dapip repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I grew up laughing at the Berkeley City Council. Now one third of the states are similarly unhinged, only in the opposite direction.

JeremyEritrea repped this.
  24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia