Time for a "Mass Shootings" Forum?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No, I meant it started a trend. First real media bubble, and from it a rising curve.

The girl in San Diego that "I Don't Like Mondays" was written about is the next one I remember, but I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a couple...

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same way we censor it now along with the news, etc. - self-censorship by the few companies who own the MSM.

There are commercials that glorify gun violence and assert that killing is the only way to solve social problems? Must be on HBO....

3. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Yes to the glorification of violence......on regular television.

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am passing judgement on the necessity of having weapons at your(or anyone elses) disposal. I doubt "hunting" was the make-or-break-point with your family... Hunting is no longer a "necessity".. We aren't neanderthals "bringing home the kill" to feed our families...

And I would prefer food stamps than weapons..

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    This is absolutely false. Slavery was actually growing stronger in the period prior to the Civil War, as is reflected by significantly tougher laws on slaves in the deeper south (in Alabama the laws were practically written so that it was impossible to be black and not a slave), prices on slaves were at an all time high (so much so that Arkansas was the wealthiest state in the Union (!!)) and the South had managed not only to pass the Fugitive Slave Act but also to get the Dred Scot decision in its favor.
    The South was doubling down on slavery prior to the Civil War, and hard.

6. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Hand gun deaths last year:

48 Japan
    8 UK
    34 Switzerland
    52 Canada
    58 Israel
    21 Sweden
    42 Germany
    10728 USA

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    OT:

This was actually true when my dad was a boy. Also they hunted professionally.

Now - not so much.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I've read up a bit on the psychology behind mass murderers/spree killers.
    Apparently their pathology is much harder to quantify than that of a serial killer.
    Which would suggest the difficulty with the notion of identifying these folks before they carry out their violent fantasies. There is not one personality type or even a small collection of types society could screen for.
    In any case, it certainly strengthens the idea that (if you want to make a change in the relative short term) you need to tackle this problem from the side of the weapons they have at their disposal.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What is the difference between a weapon intended for home defence and a tactical fire arm?

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't see why a person would need an assault rifle to defend his or her home from robbers... o_O

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not wanting to minimize the emotional and physical wounds that were inflicted on these Chinese children, but this story actually shows how denying these people guns could seriously limit the number of fatalities:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-attacks-22-kids-knife-china-school-article-1.1220230

It's the difference between 20+ dead children and 20+ wounded children.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Barbara's advice of avoiding comments sections of articles has never been more true than now. There are some seriously sick people out there.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Home defence as imagined by the ordinary citizen is essentially a fantasy. Face to face - like on the telly.

Given that your goal is not to kill anyone, but essentially to stop invaders advancing on your position, the only sensible strategy is to get a lot of fire in the air early. After all, your average invader(s) are not a military assault team determined to advance through a hail of hostile fire and accepting the casualties that comes with that.

Of course grabbing your FAL and unloading on unknown targets through the wall is going to end with you in jail.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    But look at the knife crime! / Daily Mail

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I am increasingly disgusted by the sensationalism employed by large chunks of the media.
    The victims (both children and their teachers) deserve a lot more respect.
    What exactly is the point of showing videos and photographs of distraught parents at the school? Other than satisfying the basest of voyeuristic desires.

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the amazing figure is japan; iirc they used to be low even by european standards.

does this include suicides?

18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why not just move to one of those other more civilized countries instead of going on a crusade to infringe upon somebody else's freedom. There are literally millions upon millions of Americans who are responsible gun owners. Our government goes all over the world ready to kill at a moments notice, is it surprising that many of our youth see this as a suitable response to some perceived or real injustice?

I believe it was Franklin who said they that those who "would sacrifice liberty for the illusion of security deserve neither." I am not a large man but I assure you I am safe in my home in part due to gun ownership, and guns are deeply ingrained in our culture, Not all of us live in Metro areas and a gun is just like any other tool, it has a useful function that can be abused. Your suggestion is akin to banning cars since some people get killed by irresponsible drivers. The difference is you personally happen to NEED a car so you see that as different, well as difficult as it may be for you to believe some of us actually have a use for a gun.

We really need to get to the point that knee jerk reactionary's do not try and take our freedoms every time a person acts irresponsibly. Our guns actually keep us safe from our government. Government that fears the people is freedom. When people fear the government that is tyranny. While there is no scenario you can see that it would be necessary to take up arms against our government our founders thought it at least important enough to make it the second amendment. Almost a cornerstone if you will to freedom. In Europe collecting all the guns made it a simple thing for a despot to kill millions. No thank you, I am responsible and I will take care of me and mine.

When you are ready to look for a REAL solution that is possible and not some treasonous removal of freedom then we can try and work on the problem, until then you are fighting a fight you cannot win.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    On a population of 125+ million, Japan's number is still low, by any standard.
    For the US to have a proportionally equal number, their annual total of gun deaths would need to be at no more than 118.

20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strict gun laws alone will do little to stop shootings like this. This nation is awash in guns. Short of an outright ban based on a constitutional amendment banning private gun ownership -- backed up by sweeps of federal law enforcement seizing previously legal guns (and the certain resulting blood shed when scores of owners choose to let the feds have their guns when they "pry them from their cold, dead, hands") -- we will always live in a country where guns can be found by those that want them.

The solution lies in some combination of stricter gun laws, mental health care, and security. I don't know what combination of those would work, any better than anyone could have predicted this guy would go off his nut and massacre all of these children.

I have come to the regrettable understanding that mass shootings are like deadly earthquakes in this country. Almost impossible to predict, usually resulting in some number of deaths, but an unfortunate reality of life in the U.S.A.

Val1 repped this.
  21. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could make it a felony to own/keep a gun in a home with an occupant/frequent visitor who is know to be mentally/emotionally disturbed, has a history of violent conduct, or spousal/child abuse. Minimum mandatory sentence is 5 years in prison.

I'm sure this would trample on some other part of the constitution, but it's a start.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pathetically and predictably, the media went off and accused the shooter's innocent brother of being the killer I think it was CNN). I'm surprised they didn't try to tie him to the Tea Party as was the case in the Colorado shooting.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    One common thread amongst the pro-gun control opinion pieces I have read so far is that they display a barely contained element of anger (sometimes even rage) that is a departure from previous such incidents. Is it naive to hope that this time the people will not let the politicians off the hook until they fulfill their moral obligations? If a large minority is not ready for stricter gun control, tough shit. A similar large and vocal minority existed when Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964. A nation cannot and should not align its moral curve with those who consciously want to prevent any and all progress.

GiuseppeSignori, Chris M. and KCbus repped this.
  24. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    I'm not a gun owner and not a member of the NRA. I do believe in the 2nd amendment, but I would not be against exploring the above whatsoever.

25. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

A couple of things. I reject your assertion that the pro gun groups are a minority especially in the many of the southern and western states. secondly since when has a politician and moral responsibility even belonged in the same sentence, they are antithetical one to another. i could just as easily say to those who want to take away my right to own a gun... tough shit....try and take it.

Perhaps if as a country we decided to stop killing people because it suits our corporate purposes then maybe we might see that our youth no longer find that an acceptable response. As it is they are simply modeling what our government does. Don't like it, get a weapon and kill some folks. Something about reaping and sowing.