Time for a "Mass Shootings" Forum?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    luftmensch repped this.
  2. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. This is part of why I hope smarter people than I can address the cause or at least find a way to help those who suffer from this disease.

The environmental triggers are something that need to be addressed as well, and not just for schizophrenogenic cases. We are well aware of the syndrome of people who had disturbing events in their lives affecting their actions, as well as rage related issues that stem from a breakup to finding a partner cheating. But what makes these individuals go on rampages like we have seen? I mean guns have been part of American culture since day one, and assault weapons and the like (allow me to include sub-machine guns like the Thompson here) have been available to the public in form or another since the 20's, in that time is there record of these rampages? Have they seen a sudden increase? Can we attribute these increases, if that is the case to any cause?

3. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. This is part of why I hope smarter people than I can address the cause or at least find a way to help those who suffer from this disease.

The environmental triggers are something that need to be addressed as well, and not just for schizophrenogenic cases. We are well aware of the syndrome of people who had disturbing events in their lives affecting their actions, as well as rage related issues that stem from a breakup to finding a partner cheating. But what makes these individuals go on rampages like we have seen? I mean guns have been part of American culture since day one, and assault weapons and the like (allow me to include sub-machine guns like the Thompson here) have been available to the public in form or another since the 20's, in that time is there record of these rampages? Have they seen a sudden increase? Can we attribute these increases, if that is the case to any cause?

4. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like you, I own guns.
    I own a single action .22 revolver, a .22 double action revolver. a bolt action .22 rifle, and a bolt action 8 mm rifle.
    like you, I'm not an NRA member, and I do not need the NRA to advocate or lobby for laxer gun control laws on my behalf.
    I honestly haven't shot any of my guns in at least 5 years. I've never used any of them for anything other than target practice - and chasing a can - because it's just fun.
    I don't rely on any of them for home protection. I don't even have ammo for any of them right now. they just sit in the closet.
    if preventing tragedies like the one today meant I had to give them up, so be it.
    of course, some people are a lot more attached to their guns than I am, and I think it's reasonable to let them keep some of them, and let them use the others in a controlled way. but they of course don't want to hear that.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    This is just getting crazy.

NBC is now reporting that all the weapons were legally purchased and registered to the mother (aka the kindergarten teacher) of the shooter.

I don't think I've ever met a kindgergarten teacher that would seem remotely interested in guns.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It used to be mostly workplace "going postal" episodes. Lately the ferocity and age of the perps has dropped. Wheredo they get this anger and weapons skills at 20? At that age i was trying to hook up or get drunk or both.

7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an interesting thing you can do here. Take the second table, the rate of gun ownership, and multiply it by 1000 to get the guns-per-100,000 citizens. The first table gives you the gun homicides per 100,000 citizen. Divide your new, renormalized second table into the first table to get the gun homicides-per-gun.

When you do that, you get:

Gun homicides per 1,000,000 guns:

USA: 33.6
    Switzerland: 16.8
    Italy: 59.7
    Canada: 16.6
    Holland: 84.6
    Germany: 6.27
    Australia: 9.33
    UK: 11.3
    France: 1.92
    Norway: 1.60
    South Korea: 36.4

If absolutely nothing mattered other than the prevalence of guns (a position nobody believes, I know, but I'm just mentioning it to clarify what this table means), then you'd expect all these numbers to be pretty much the same. The table suggests that, if you used the U.S. as a standard, France and Norway have many fewer homicides than you'd expect given number of guns around, while Holland (!) and Italy have many more. Italy I'm not too surprised at; but I'm awfully surprised at Holland. Small number statistics would have an impact here, but not a huge one.

I'm not sure there's much content here: for one thing, it's quite common for someone to own more than one gun; they may have multiple guns, but they're still one gun owner and thus one agent of action, so I'm not sure putting "# of guns" in the denominator really means very much. I was just curious.

8. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very worried if you didn't feel the way you do today. How can anyone with a shred of humanity in them not be overwhelmed with feeligns of despair and sadness for the families of those who lost innocent children, friends, brothers, sisters, or parents today.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It goes even deeper if you've ever worked in an elementary school building. Elementary teachers have such a connection with their (really, any other classrooms) kids.

My wife is numbing herself on Pinot Grigio avoiding all media at the moment.

10. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they really do. my little guy is in preschool and at that age, teachers are still allowed to touch (e.g. hug, pat, hold hands, etc.) of their students. so the emotional bond teachers form with younger age kids is very much stronger than middle or high school.

11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    This will knock HSBC right off the news. Just saying.

12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing she bought them for her troubled son, as you have to be 21 in Connecticut to buy a handgun. Terrible idea. Reminds me of the Kip Kinkel case. His parents were High School teachers who thought it was a good idea to buy their child the weapons he eventually murdered them with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kip_Kinkel

13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Would you really prefer that the perpetrators of these atrocities be better trained?

14. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you mean? By education I am talking about requiring classes on safety and teaching and reinforcing the understanding of what it is they are trying to purchase.

Are you opposed to sex Ed because it may lead to people having sex? If someone wants to own a gun they should be educated on its use and be clear that it isn't a toy and that owning one requires understanding and great responsibility.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Scout's Honor! Do you promise not to use an assault rifle to shoot up innocent civilians when the demons in your head tell you to? OK, then good enough for the NRA...SOLD!

dapip, KCbus and LongDuckDong repped this.
  16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm growing weary of this argument that gun regulations/bans are pointless because people who are determined to kill will obtain guns anyway. You know who wasn't determined to kill? The teenager who murdered a friend of mine. He just thought it would be fun and badass to take his grandfather's gun and go hang out with his friends and pretend to be a gangster. Now he is in prison for life, and my friend is dead. If there had been no (legal) gun, there would have been no murder. How many similar incidents could be prevented if there were simply no gun in the equation? Way, way too many.

mbar repped this.
  17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what posted in Facebook about Huckabee's comments:

"I think Mike is confusing the individual with the institution. Too bad, but it seems like most Christians these days are more concerned with keeping God in public institutions and public places, and forcing their belief system on others via edict, than they are about keeping God in their own lives and letting the love of God shine through their own words and actions. The former, admittedly, is much easier than the later. I think Jesus would call us hypocrites and Pharisees, brood of vipers. And tell us to first make God Lord of our own lives, before we try to make him Lord of someone else's - or Lord of public institutions. God is more interested in us rendering to God the things that are God's than he is in us rendering to Caesar the things that are Caesar's.
    I might be wrong, but I don't think God is interested in being Lord of our public schools or our Government. He wants to be Lord of our lives. God is not interested in his presence in a public building in a statue or a memorial. He wants his presence in public places through the people who follow and obey him, and therefore stand out from the crowd."

russ, soccernutter, ogopogo and 4 others repped this.
  18. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not convinced this is true. I think there are some very sick, disturbed psychopaths who are incapable of living any life without endangering others or themselves.

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that is the case, they ought to be institutionalized (for lack of a better term).

20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I dunno...I just took your post as meaning that everyone should be educated more about handling guns. This would also include the bad guys/girls also.....no?

Anyways, like most everyone, I've been having a difficult time staying focused today. I text'd both my Sons this morning and asked them to give my 4 Elementary School Grandkids an extra hug from me.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  21. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agreed. If nothing else, its a deterrent towards obtaining one. If that stops another single accident or potential violent act, then that alone makes it worth it.

I am also getting sick of the "people rely on hunting to feed their families" arguement. I have seen that nonsense plenty of times today. Go to the grocery store like everyone else. Dont try to con everyone over your hobby. Besides if you like hunting that much go buy a bow.

22. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because you were normal

23. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Not sure if this has been posted here before. It's a publication by the FBI entitled "The School Shooter - A Threat Assessment Perspective".
    http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/school-shooter

It focuses on four indicators -Personality of the Student, Family Dynamics, School Dynamics and Social Dynamics. It's an interesting read IMO.

24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's starts with childhood. In the US, we're working with the same genes that most other countries are working with, yet we have huge issues with violence and anti-social behavior. Thus it's logical to assume that there is some societal influence that's driving predisposed individuals towards psychopathy.

I'm a firm believer that competition is the driving factor. Increased competitiveness across societies corresponds with higher crime rates and increased anti-social behavior. This has been well documented and is a popular subject of study among some psychologists.

The US has a documented harsh competitiveness. We compete with our friends and family to have the most expensive material goods. We compete with our classmates to have the highest paying jobs out of school. It certainly seems possible based on initial research that this "rat race" is literally driving predisposed people insane.

Levante and Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  25. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Not true.

On the other hand, the rate of schizophrenia is fairly consistent around the world. Our schizophrenics tend to kill with guns because they are available. Most schizophrenics dont care about things like "competition". That stuff bothers people with normal though processes.