Time for a "Mass Shootings" Forum?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Huckabee: Professional Asshole

ElasticNorseman, mbar and bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So?

3. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do. and I'm beginning to come around to the idea that they should be banned. the rate of fire they allow is simply too high and not really necessary if all you need is a finishing gun (if you're hunting) or home protection. a single action revolver should do the trick for both.

4. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also used to be in the "rifles/revolvers are OK" crowd but at this point, the situation has become drastic and so more drastic measures are called for until we as a society have had a rethink on this. If gun owners want to blame anyone for that, they can look in the mirror. Like you've pointed out, they've had decades but most (but not all) still refuse to pull their heads out of their asses and address our problems seriously. The time for deeming these tragedies as acceptable losses while spouting gun nut bumper sticker slogans about "freedom" and for muddling through without seriously thinking about it let alone doing anything is now gone.

The following only strengthens that belief:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

Based on the facts, we need to get ourselves to the point where we're sane enough as a society to handle the kinds of laws they have in most of the rest of the developed countries where you can have a decent level of gun ownership without a sky high homicide rate. Getting to that place will take a multifaceted approach - gun bans initially working our way to sane gun control measures as appropriate, regulated hunting by renting guns with draconian penalties for failing to turn your rented gun back into the authorities, better education in schools, adjusting the media and its glorification of violence and guns, more accessible mental health care and probably a bunch of things none of us has as yet thought of.

We also need to grow the hell up, stop thinking we're perfect and the rest of the world has nothing to teach us and look at what is working overseas and borrow their ideas as appropriate to our society.

5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you miss with the first shot.

6. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Man, I'm up for this. Reminds me of Bill Maher's rant about the "Donner Party" - people on the left get the worse end of every "compromise" because we start off way too close to the middle. We should be advocating that all guns be banned, rather than completely ceding the gun control issue like we are right now. Maybe we'd end up with some gun control then, rather than barely any.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    god, I can't believe some of my facebook are really going with the car analogy to defend guns. ugh!

8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cock the hammer, pull the trigger. repeat 4 more times if necessary.

9. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good analogy. On the one hand you have cars, designed as transport from place to place. On the other hand you have guns, designed for........Nevermind

10. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    You really can't believe it? Don't they go with the car analogy after every massacre? My facebook friends do.

11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A gunquake that registered 9.0 on the constitution scale hit Connecticut today. It was one of the most deadly gunquakes in U.S. history, resulting in almost 30 deaths and destroying a school and the nearby community.

12. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah...
    my answer is, when people kill others with a car, we call it an accident, because the car was not serving its intended purpose. when guns kill people (or people kill people using guns), we call it murder. I'm sure that if people starting using cars more and more to intentionally kill people, there would be some serious thought given to banning cars - or certain types of cars too! it's not a hard concept. not sure why so many people struggle with it.

Stud83 and Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to turn off the TV and leave the computer, because I'm becoming obsessive. This story has affected me very deeply. Of course it's affected everybody. It's a horror beyond comprehension. For me personally, it hits home in a specific way that pertains to being a teacher. When I taught in Brooklyn we had drills to practice what to do in the case of an unauthorized person entering the building. These were basically school shooter drills, but we didn't call it that. It was in the wake of the Virginia Tech shooting. I spent an irrational amount of time thinking about what I'd do if it happened, even though school shootings are relatively rare.

But I want to articulate what I'm feeling here -- why I've literally been crying all day. When I was teaching I was constantly in a state of stress over my responsibility to the kids. I put so much mental and emotional energy into trying to do right by them. You want every child who enters your classroom to go home better off at the end of the day and the end of the school year. You want to improve their lives. At the very least you want to create a safe environment for them. This was especially urgent for the population of kids I was working with, who often had pretty terrible lives in so many ways. It's almost paralyzingly stunning to me to think about children being harmed like this. In their school. In their classroom.

But the children I taught were not strangers to gun violence. Many of them were suffering from PTSD because of violence they had witnessed. Most if not all of them lived in fear of it. They didn't need the unlikely possibility of a mass shooter to bring fear into their classrooms. It was already there, all the time. I hate how that gets ignored. I hate so much that an entire kindergarten class had to be murdered in order for people to finally start talking about our nation's problem with gun violence. I hate that this incomprehensible tragedy had to happen before the President could even obliquely mention maybe starting to talk about an answer to gun violence.

I used to work so hard to create some kind of safe oasis where my kids could feel secure and free their minds from worrying about the violence all around them. Hearing about children being murdered in their classroom like this... It sounds very strange but it feels like a personal failure.

Sorry for the self-indulgent emo shit. I'm just very upset today.

15. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody know the math on Intruders killed by a gun owner Vs. Friends/Family killed in domestic disputes or accidents in a gun owner's home?

16. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yesterday in China a man did the exact same thing, stabbing 22 kids. None are dead.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/14/man-w...hildren-at-school-in-chengping-china-3316760/

17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or pregnant girl friends killed while cop was "cleaning" his loaded gun.

18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We should just go after the 2nd Amendment.

yossarian and Chris M. repped this.
  19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or provide an explanation as to why the suicide rates are higher in households with guns than those without....

Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or redefine the "well regulated militia" part. Which, in today's terms, would probably be the police or maybe National Guard.

dapip repped this.
  21. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Mine go with the conspiracy theories and the "gun control kills" stuff. In addition to the "gun control propaganda is coming" memes

22. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Red Dawn really set us back in this regard.

23. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, as I wrote on the previous page, we don't need a privately-run well-regulated militia. we already have a state-run well regulated militia to protect us from both foreign and domestic enemy. also, we are not a frontier society any more, where we have to worry about those crazy injuns coming to kill us and rape our women.

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm at home now, and I'm still stunned at this. If this isn't the rock bottom that finally kick-starts a rethink on gun control, our society is sick beyond healing.

Like ratdog, I've always been a rifles/revolvers OK guy (FWIW, I'm not so sure restricting revolvers to single-actions changes much. A double-action revolver is somewhat quicker to fire, but the difference is quanitative not qualitative IMHO, but that's a minor detail). And as noted, I AM a rifle/revolver guy--I own one of each. And right now, I'm still unsure of whether or not even that's OK. I'm leaning towards ratdog and Chris M--as a society we have utterly failed to demonstrate the responsibility and maturity required to justify private gun ownership. We can't be trusted with the damn things anymore. The founders wrote the 2nd amendment you say? We have a right to own guns, you say. Well, the Founders also believed in civic responsibility, personal restraint and responsibility. It was a package deal. We've been picking and choosing for far too long.

I always told myself myself that being a gun owner who refused to join or patronize the NRA was making some sort of statement and making some sort of implicit stand. That stand seems pretty empty right now.

25. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States