Time for a "Mass Shootings" Forum?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to find it on the P&CE, but I couldn't find a thread relating to the recent mass shooting in Norway. am I missing something? is it possible that this and the character of this individual has not been discussed? I apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/25/anders-behring-breivik_n_908427.html

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There's an active thread in the International News subforum.

3. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotcha. thanks. I didn't think to look there.

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't anything over say, two or three, be considering a mass shooting? Is there an official cut off?

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pretty sure this one in Ohio makes the cut: 8 dead

COPLEY, Ohio - Police have identified the gunman responsible for Sunday's horrific massacre in the northeast Ohio neighborhood of Copley as 51-year-old Michael Hance.

Hance, apparently angry with his girlfriend, gunned down two people outside a home and two more in a car Sunday morning, He then chased down another victim in a rampage that left eight dead, including himself. Hance was shot by police, authorities and witnesses said.

The shootings started around 11 a.m. at a home where Hance lived with his girlfriend, 49-year-old Rebecca Dieter. She was shot multiple times, but is the only survivor in the massacre. She is currently hospitalized in unknown condition, reports CBS affiliate WOIO.

Hance then opened fire in the neighborhood. Five people were shot and killed. Two 16-year-old teens were shot in a car in the driveway and killed, reports the station.

One of those victims in the car has been identified as Autumn Johnson. Autumn's father, 44-year-old Bryan Johnson, was also shot and killed. The other victims include Craig Dieter, 51, Russell Johnson, 67, and Gudrun Johnson, according to WOIO.

Hance then tracked down 11-year-old Scott Dieter, Craig Dieter's son and Rebecca Dieter's nephew, hiding in the basement of a home he sought refuge in. Hance then fatally shot the child, the station reports.

Hance was finally confronted by a Copley police officer and private citizen, who is also a retired cop. Hance threatened the two men and they opened fire and killed him.​

And from WaPo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ting-rampage/2011/08/08/gIQA1ECr1I_story.html

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder/serial-murder-1#two

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Firearms ain't got no monopoly on spree killings.

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    There is a Random Thoughts About Random Shootings forum I think

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Forum? Or, thread? Link?

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Three Dead, Six Wounded, at a Carson City IHOP

A gunman opened fire Tuesday at a Carson City, Nevada, IHOP restaurant, killing three people and wounding six others before turning the gun on himself, police said.

The suspected gunman is not expected to survive, said Sheriff Ken Furlong of the Carson City Sheriff's Office.

The shooting began shortly before 9 a.m., according to Furlong. When authorities arrived, the shooting suspect was identified by those who called in the incident as a man lying wounded in the parking lot.

Two victims were found dead at the scene and seven others were transported to the hospital for emergency surgery. One of the wounded died during surgery, Furlong said. He did not know which hospital was treating the suspect.

Two of the dead were identified as uniformed members of the military​

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I hate it when this thread pops up on my new subscribed threads list. :(

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Another one, this time an old-fashioned spree in my neck of the woods

-- Authorities say a crime rampage spanning three states Monday has left six people dead, including the suspect, and two injured.

West Virginia State Police said they responded to a call from a concerned citizen Monday around 6:30 p.m. and went to a residence on Sugar Grove Road, just off Route 19 near Morgantown. Inside the home they found three people with fatal gunshot wounds. A special response team secured the home and found two more bodies.

Police identified the victims today as Charleston Richardson III, 49; his wife, Karen Richardson, 50; her children, Kevin Hudson, 17, and Katrina Hudson, 22; and 30-year-old Robert Raber, who was also living in the home. Katrina Hudson was six months pregnant.

Capt. J.H. Merrill described the victims as acquaintances of the suspect, Shayne Riggleman, 22, of Morgantown.​

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what. Screw the groundhog. This is the real indicator that spring is coming soon.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Flippant as this is on its surface, you're probably right. On the other hand, this has been one of the most mild winters I've ever experienced in NE Ohio - hard to feel too "cooped up" when you've seen more sunshine in one January than you usually see in three Januarys. If there was ever a time for a shooting in Chardon, it would have been last year, when it was miserably cold all winter and Chardon was well, well above it's 106 average snowfall.

18. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    from a factual and logical perspective, i dont see how anybody feels that these events should not happen. they are not out of place at all, rather, an automatic domino effect of this society. it is societys duty to ensure there are options for everybody, and if society cannot provide these, it means society has failed its people. consequently, and, provided there is no way to change society, the people that it failed will go against it in their own ways due to lack of options. this dog eat dog mentality of the society is echoed by the belligerent, that is, he/she goes after society his/her own way. society no longer has a claim; the 'method' that the belligerent uses is completely up to him/herself, because at that point, dog eat dog society has shunned him/her, and in a dog eat dog environment, laws are factually and logically invalid. therefore, the belligerent will choose his/her own 'method' which in most cases, as documented by history, amounts to school shootings.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Jesus Christ, you're full of shit.

20. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    nice thoughtful analysis and rebuttal you put up.:rolleyes:

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    As if yours was anything other than your usual vehicle for decrying "dog-eat-dog Western ickiness".

What is there to rebut? You've posted a screed that consists mainly of you exploiting a tragedy to get your digs in at something you deem a product of capitalism. EVERYTHING is about that for you.

You're full of shit, Johnny One Note.

22. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    it is normal that root problems cause many problems. i am glad that you finally understand this, but it is immoral and incorrect not to take action just because it will get rid of 'drama and result in boredom' and perhaps jobs, if we strive for perfection. my rebuttal is that there will always be aspects to improve upon, so dont think that a near-utopia state will be achieved so fast as to make life 'too perfect' and boring. even when it is reached, there will be plenty to do to keep it that way. it is immoral to hinder progress based on this selfish and incorrect hypothesis (it is bad to strive for perfection).

exploiting a tragedy? it is not me that exploits tragedies. it is your kind. i use them for progress and elimination. you want them to stay because it is part of your status quo, and it feeds the demand for the drama that you so desperately want. who is the immoral one? as i said, you dont need to worry. if school shootings finish, there will always be other things to talk about. dont be so afraid for change.