Time for a "Mass Shootings" Forum?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Keep waiting and try holding your breath while you do so. I am uncertain how it came to be that you think you are somehow able to give me an instruction and that I should follow it. I am perfectly equipped to understand exactly what is going on.

You and your ilk are fearful of the children our society has raised and the overall hopelessness of giant segments of our population. The timeout generation and their lack of clear cut restraints combined with the lack of a healthy respect for the rights of others is now coming home to roost. You are scared and you want to impose your desired response to those fears on the rest of us. You are willing to sacrifice your liberty for the false illusion of security. You are attempting to require all of us to do the same. The fact that we have a constitutional right to defend our selves and our home is considered a burden and bothersome to your side.

The dishonesty behind your lie is easily revealed when one realizes that very little of this talk concerns handguns which kill way more people than ARs.

As for your scorn. :ROFLMAO: Good thing my sense of value and self worth is not related to your opinions of me.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dead sniper = Karma.

Pønch repped this.
  3. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the gun manufacturers thank you, unconsciously paranoid rubes like yourself are their bread and butter.

JBigjake and Boloni86 repped this.
  4. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not true on many levels. I am quite conscious and you calling me paranoid is what is known as projection.

As for gun manufacturers, I haven't bought a newly manufactured firearm in over thirty years so try again. I am buying inherited firearms that the heir did not want and those being sold by people afraid the new laws will restrict their ability to sell them later. (Thanks to the internet.) When I get my FFL I will be selling them to people who are concerned you might actually get the your first step in removal of the right to own firearms passed. The reality is that it is your side that has caused them to sell out of inventory as fast as they can manufacture it.

So try again, you failed this time.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Patriots, tyrants, schoolchildren, whateva- that tree doesn't care whose blood it gets. Feed it, Seymo'!

6. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't own a gun, don't want to own a gun, and don't really have any fear that I or my family is going to be attacked or need a gun to defend ourselves. But I see the widespread abuse of firearms in this country as a problem, and the incredibly high number of injuries and deaths as a tragic waste. How exactly is that paranoia?

You on the other hand have repeatedly expressed fear regarding both imminent danger to your family and just the generalized fear that you're going to have your guns taken away. And that's the same fear that's driving the spike in gun sales you blame on gun control advocates (which is partially true, but is more accurately gun manufacturers marketing this idea to gun fetishers like yourself). So who exactly is projecting here?

And I stand corrected regarding your gun purchases.

soccernutter, Dage, sedlie and 2 others repped this.
  7. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Wait so it has to be all or nothing for carrying a firearm? If it doesnt guarantee your safety ALL the time its invalid as a means of protecting yourself?

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm calling bullshit. You just said your "investments" were skyrocketing. It's AR-15s that are the hot commodity, not granddaddy's dusty M1 carbine. So which is true? Also, i love that you stand so firmly against registering your guns, and don't trust the gov with that info, but given the chance to make a buck off your neighbors insecurity, you fork that info right over. You're a real hero.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    soccernutter repped this.
  10. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The mission of The Liberal Gun Club is to provide a voice for gun-owning liberals and moderates in the national conversation on gun rights, gun legislation, firearms safety, and shooting sports."

I love how the left always defines the moderate position. It's cute

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    None of it compares to the yummy blood of Palestinian children though.

Moishe repped this.
  12. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but you've clearly stated that you oppose registration. If that is the case then are you going to be on the straight and narrow with regards to the all the record keeping and documentation requirements/expectations that come with buying/selling with an FFL? How about honoring any requests from the ATF with regards to any and all transactions you've made? I'll concede that the ATF isn't ran nearly as well as it should but with some hope of a full time director that could change.

13. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, old Wiley has done a great job on this sock. He has really created an almost believable foil for the pro gun control debaters here. But here and there his story and personae breaks down.

Creating this personae takes a lot of time and effort. I tip my hat to him. I just wish I had his free time.

JBigjake repped this.
  14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    http://www.gunbroker.com/ ok so perhaps it would have been more accurate to say I am buying used firearms so the literacy challenged won't automatically assume it has to be a civil war relic. Many of these guns were not bought by the sellers, most of them have been inherited or given to the sellers.

I am not registering any of my personal firearms. You really do not understand how our firearms laws work if you think I am registering these purchases. I do a 15 minute or so FBI background check to pick them up. When I get an FFL it is still the same thing. So it isn't like you think where I go down and register guns x,y, and z with the feds. Sure it is in a bound book, but that book stays on premise and personal firearms are not required to be listed. The background checks are destroyed by law within 24 hours. So yes they are in a BATFE book stored on premises, but they are not in a federal database that is subject to FOIA.

15. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can literally spit into Indiana from Chicago. And yes, I try to take advantage of that as often as I can. ;)

Boloni86 repped this.
  16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If the laws become such that I cannot follow them then I will simply surrender my FFL . Also CCW holders are exempted form background checks.

17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    CCW holders are exempted but they shouldn't be unless they are actively employed by some division of law enforcement. Of course as someone with a CCL (who hasn't carried in about two years) I happen to think the current requirements to "earn" a CCL are so beyond a joke that it's a........joke. Are you as uncompromising in other areas as you are with regards to gun control?

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who needs a list of your weapons when you are a registered gun dealer? Are you kidding? Who do you think the Feds are going to visit first when they start their gun roundup? Anyway, changing your story doesn't help, it just convinces me more that you are full of it. Also it seems that you are increasingly resorting to insults and name calling, always a sure sign that someone feels they are losing the argument.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hardly, but congrats, your comment is probably one of the most obnoxious ever posted. The guy spent his post military career helping Vets overcome PTSD.

20. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    It's a sad story, which also helps illustrate the idiocy of the NRA position that only a heavily armed population can be a a safe one.

The truth is that murders by strangers in the USA are pretty rare. Outside of extremely high-crime areas, even a few simple precautions will reduce the risk of stranger murder to a fairly trivial level. As long as you A. don't live or work in an area with very high levels of violent crime, and (most importantly) B. don't associate with people who might want to kill you, the threat of being murdered is not really worth worrying much about.

Of course, there are some Americans (like Chris Kyle) who either can't or don't want to meet both condition A and condition B. But if you're in that unfortunate case, no amount of armament will provide you with a great deal of security. There's this thing called an "ambush," for example.

The peace of mind created by gun ownership doesn't need to have a rational source, or any basis in statistical probability - it can be purely emotional. It appears that for a significant number of Americans, having a sense of security and control of their life depends on having the ability to kill another person at a moment's notice. For such people, appealing to logic or empirical data is like trying to cure a severe fear of flying by citing statistics about the relative risks of car vs. air travel.

21. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Wow. Its interesting that you think you know enough about this guy and his service to make that kind of pronouncement. And by interesting i mean disgusting.

22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I suppose it would depend on the issue, some things are not important enough to me to fuss over.

I do agree about the CCW laws being pretty impotent.

Yeah a hundred fifty or so pages of being called names will do that to a guy, I will tighten up on that.

I have clearly stated I do not think there will be a roundup within my lifetime, and I will legally fight every step of the way to delay that inevitable day. But the paranoid left that is so scared somebody is going to shoot them because they did not get little johnnys meds right has created a profit opportunity.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fantastic para.

24. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a brilliant business plan, buy guns from people who are afraid of the government taking away their guns, and sell them to people who are afraid of the government taking away their guns. It can't fail! Of course, these will only be guns that are over 30 years old and were inherited by people who don't want them, otherwise it might seem unethical profiting off of other people's fear.

25. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is this an attempted wind-up, or is this actually what you think is going on here?