Time for a "Mass Shootings" Forum?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Just been getting into that show The Walking Dead

I'm really reconsidering my position on guns

BTW great show. AMC proves once again it's the undisputed champion of TV series

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you don't have to live in cab'n crik to raise a couple of chickens and a summer's worth of tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and eggplant, lettuce and celery, and fresh herbs. people even do that in brooklyn.

it could also be because they can't find their way out there.

a poster i have on my workshop wall can explain:

[​IMG]
    Someone doesn't chalenge me, so i do'nt chalenge him. if someone chalenges me, I will resist.

soccernutter repped this.
  3. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Rachel Maddow had a segment a couple days ago where she went over each proposal in Obama's plan and showed that a majority of Republicans, yes Republicans, favor every one of the proposals, except for the assault weapons ban, which only received support from 45% of Republicans. Of course, that didn't prevent 80% of Republicans from still opposing his plan -- the one made up of a series of sensible regulations that they actually agree with.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guarantee you that what Rachel Maddow will tell you is not the same thing that you'd find if you talked to some Democrats who represent certain regions of the country, like say Montana's Max Baucus, Arkansas Mark Prior, or even as I said Senate majority leader Harry Reid of Nevada. The real world is a bit different from the carefully orchestrated truth you get at ideological-for-ratings MSNBC.

The problem with statistics is that while it's probably true that a majority of Americans do favor the anti-gun proposals, they are not as likely to be single-issue voters on the issue as those who don't support them. The NRA knows this, and the politicians know this. That's why the bits of information Maddow presents -which are probably correct- don't lead to the conclusions she seems to be trying to convey, which has more to do with partisan gamesmanship and ratings than with reality.

Chris M. repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    [​IMG]

Boogie_Down and Matt in the Hat repped this.
  6. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    If his other hand had a gun this tragedy would never have happened.

Ok, ok, that's my last snide remark for today.

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Do you know if he took responsibility with his own insurance or if he is covered by Obamacare?

minerva repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    You mean in-surance? Mountain men don't need that stuff. Just slap some super glue on the wound and get on with it.

minerva repped this.
  9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Good, I was thinking that somebody else would had to foot the bill.

minerva repped this.
  10. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Or perhaps Christ was simply Gandhi-like.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  11. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I applaud him for taking the responsibility to protect himself, his property and his family from that scary looking poster that was getting all up on his grill.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how are you going to deal with an abused child (one that has experienced violence, and one that you are required by law to report)?

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, last Saturday, I was taking my 8 year old daughter to a friend's house for the afternoon, Her friend's family lives just a few blocks south of where we used to live; nice, old neighborhood, some rentals, but mostly single family homes, solidly middle class, well educated, and reasonably well off. Lots of old homes, but one stood out: the one house on the block (and the only one I've ever seen in this part of the city) with all of its first floor windows and doors barred. The front door was also plastered with two no trespassing and no soliciting signs.

The house made me think of good ol' y-lee and his gun-loving compatriots in the NRA. There is crime in this area. Theft, that is, especially if you're dumb enough to leave your garage open at night. But, all in all, it's fairly modest. And violent crime is almost unheard of. Why the ******** anyone would install heavy bars over windows and doors is beyond me. Well, excepting the obvious answer that the homeowner in question is a paranoid ********tard.

My daughter made the interesting observation that, to a thief, a house that well protected implies there must be something good inside to steal.

dapip repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Post of the ********ing thread. Seriously.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly... no WAY you can back down in front of them bastards. They'll just take it as a sign of weakness.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Among many funny aspects of that vid was pulling out the gun a foot away from the paper bad guy. Was he training for that always dangerous dude standing next to him in line at the deli who orders head cheese?

Naughtius Maximus and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wish I was a good enough person to have not laughed. hell, I wish I was good enough so that I could stop laughing. But I'm sorry. "I just ********ing shot myself" gets me every time.

JeremyEritrea repped this.
  18. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Just occurred to me - how many of the 2nd amendment folk do things like basic medical training as well as target practice and stockpiling of weapons?

I've no issue with the desire to own guns for self-defence, but if you were really that concerned about having to fight a tyrannical government or foreign power, I'm pretty certain you'd have to have some forward-thinking logistical and medical contingency planning in place. If I were serious about fighting a war, setting up a network to provide battlefield medical treatment would be almost at the top of my to-do list, since it takes longer to master than pointing and firing a weapon. Do any of these guys plan for that? Or is it just Rambo-practice?

Lalo37 and raza_rebel repped this.
  19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you get it? If they have guns, the only people who get hurt will be the tyrannical army they're fighting off. It's foolproof.

Lalo37, Boloni86 and dapip repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, but it was very helpful for people who thought, 'I wonder what happened just then?'. Now, they know :)

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe he was starting there and then building up to larger distances. Y'know after, say, a year, he'd be able to hit the guy when he's at arms length... that kinda thing. :D

But, yeah, if you're THAT close, isn't it easier to just punch the fella in the mouth?

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So this guy had the gun loaded in the holster, apparently with the safety off, and tried to draw the gun with his finger on the trigger? Trying to win a quick-draw contest against a paper opponent-- one with gun already drawn-- is arguably not the stupidist thing he did...

And the "gun dealer" in Iowa had checked and found his guns unloaded "earlier in the week," then shot himself because he didn't check again before trying to dry fire? He may not know who would have loaded them, but I believe I know who was at fault...