Timbers defending in the last 10 minutes =

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by NC Soccer United, Apr 15, 2012.

1. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    LeBron's 4th quarter performances. In other words, nowhere to be found. Timbers have dropped way too many points with that defense.

2. coyoteman33

coyoteman33 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    PDX, OR, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second period defensive effort against LA was atrocious.

3. glow

glow New Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Terrible.

Terrible.

Terrible.

4. Blacksheep

Blacksheep New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Ohio
    People...the outcome of this game would have been totally different if Perkins had not been taken out!!!!

5. Orbea Girl

Orbea Girl Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Watch the replay again Blacksheep. Smith left his man unmarked which resulted in the goal. You will also see him jogging back instead of hustling.

Where was the midfield????????? Even the announcers said they lacked creativity.

Any update on Perkins and Purdy?????

6. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perkins, laceration of the nose.

Purdy received a concussion. Eight games in and preseason, third player to get one.

7. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you expect out of a midfield of Nagbe, Jewsbury, Chara, and Palmer? Only 1 attacking minded player in that line.

8. Blacksheep

Blacksheep New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Ohio
    Don't have to watch the replay...what I am saying is that, we would not have had that play to begin with....there was no communication after Perkins went out....they fell apart (worse then what they already were) after that.

9. Orbea Girl

Orbea Girl Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Sorry Blacksheep I'm blaming the communication issue on the midfield and the left back. Our midfield was pretty much non-existent and the left back was clueless most of the game. I was not at the game but felt the goalie was communicating based on his reaction after the ball went into the net. I don't think even Perkins could have saved that goal.

My hunch is upper management is desperate for a MLS Cup therefore they are micro-managing the team. Will be interesting to see what unfolds in the coming weeks.

10. glow

glow New Member

Mar 22, 2012
    It's still the midfield not hussling and communicating. I wonder what will Mr. Spencer's response be this time.

We are turning out to be just exactly like the Blazers but with more gusto from the fans.

11. Orbea Girl

Orbea Girl Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Thanks for the update Kejsare. I'm thankful it was just Perkin's nose and not his eye or a concussion. Do hope Purdy's concussion is a mild one. Prayers are with both players

12. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Our defending the entire game was crap (notwithstanding the fact that we played with THREE defensive midfielder). We just weren't penalized for it until the final 15. Does that make anybody feel better? Didn't think so.

13. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worked alright against KC. This isnt Football Manager. There is no super tactic. Every team requires a different approach. Spencer hasnt figured that out yet though.

14. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you defending Spencer's lineup or criticizing it?

15. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Criticizing it. Spencer is over reliant on his 442 and we dont have players, in midfield, to fill it out. He is throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.

Interested to see the 11 that walk out of the tunnel this Sat but if Jewsbury is among them i will not be happy.

16. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Gotcha. I think you can pretty much count on Jewsbury starting. I have long since abandoned any hope that he'll sit when he's healthy. Dude needs to tweak an ankle badly. A more realistic hope would be to see Palmer sit, though I'm quickly giving up on that pipe dream as well...

I think we'd be better served playing without any midfield at all. I mean, our midfielders (1) don't defend; and (2) don't attack, so why even use them? Just roll with a 5-0-5 and hope for the best.

17. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    What is going on with Chara? He seems to be so ineffective this year in handling any of his responsibilities. He is still making tackles, but last year he was a real dynamo all over the defensive third of the field. Also, his passing seems to be atrocious this year, whereas last year he was a real offensive spark at times.

I don't like him on the right side at all. If Palmer has to be in the midfield, why wouldn't he be out there? Palmer is too slow a decision-maker to be in the middle.