Tim Howard close to losing Starting spot?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SweetLife, Nov 26, 2012.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That "2nd team" ranking is such a crock of shit.

Of the early season outstanding performers, Begovic and Mignolet are the ones that have the big clubs drooling but even the sub-par GK's - at least, compared to their previous seasons - like Cech and Hart have outperformed Timmay.

When your club is looking for another player at your position, the hint is that they have not been pleased with your play and Everton has been sniffing around Jack Butland over the last few months.

And, if they do get Jack, Timmay's days there are probably numbered. Butland will be the #1 keeper and someone much lower on the food chain will be the backup.

3. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I finally saw Guzan play yesterday and he looked good in the first half.

Second half...

4. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I don't think Howard is the second best in the Premier League by any stretch. American writer I will assume. I tend to think the US press vastly overrates Howard. He's a solid goalie, but no where near one of the world's best as he is so often described. That said, Guzan is doing well this year, but we have to remember it is his first year getting time in a top league, he's playing for a crap team and we don't even know if he will still be in the Premier League next year the way things are going at Villa. You compare that to Howard having a decade playing at top level and being steady for the most part in the nets for the US and it's not really as close as some suspect. I get the whole form thing, but most coaches prefer a bit of stability in goal. Howard gives us that and Guzan needs to show he's more than a flash in the pan and perform demonstrably better for a period of time if he wants to seriously challenge for the position.

5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard is a world class shot stopper. Positioning is suspect, weak against long range shots. Sometimes has mental lapses in big games.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    You guys are whistling in the dark. Howard's Everton are punching way above their weight and Howard is part of the reason. There is VERY little chance he loses his spot on either team.

johnsemlak repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Well Everton is definitely doing well. Far from the lower part of the table as they are usually accustomed to at this time of the season. But most of the criticism this season has been directed toward Timmy. How he's allowed in way too many weak goals especially late in the game.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan has not let in many goals because of himself most of the goals were impossible for him to stop. He has been brilliant while his defense makes life impossible for him.

Howard has had it easy facing fewer shots and letting in the stupid goal.

9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched a lot of Villa games so this is definitely a question more than a statement because I don't know the answer. Does any (even if its just a small part) of the blame of defensive organization lie with Guzan at Villa? Or are the defenders (including Lichaj) and midfield just really so bad that there's nothing he could do to get them more organized? I know Guzan was playing well early in the season and getting rave reviews lots of places, but will this run hurt that rep (deservedly or not)?

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the break downs are individual play. it isnt even how they are organized at all. they just suck. he has kept them in so often by playing brilliantly but his defense isj ust bad.

11. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    How that translates to the national team is a different issue though. I think the team and coaching staff have faith in Howard as being the reliable number one. Guzan has yet to earn that faith/respect.

Of course the argument can be made that Guzan has yet been given a chance, but the Hex would be a bad place for this experimental chance to be given.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Their top two central defenders - Ron Vlaar and Richard Dunn - are out and their replacement should be still playing in a down league. Plus, they have no ball winners in central midfield. Them 15 goals in three matches don't score themselves. You need an ultra crappy defense to do its part too.

13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim has finally put together a string of three solid games - including his outing against Chelsea where he made some fine stops.

Evertonians are nervous about him of late, but with the latest games I'm hoping he has regained his form. He's been below average this season, no doubt. But he's class, so I'm hoping he turns it around.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    How so? There is only so much you can do if your defense sucks on that given day..

This is one of the major reasons I dont look into GAA or shutouts or any other irrelevant goalkeeping statistic (outside of my fantasy team.) It is because they dont take into context what the keeper has to work with in a defense.

15. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think there is some truth to that comment in many cases. Often when a goalie makes 3-4 great saves, people let that soft goal slide. A guy at a big team is called into action much less but is expected to perform every single time. That sort of consistency and focus is something the greats can bring to the game where there are plenty of lesser goalies who will pull off flashy saves fairly regularly when they face a ton of shots.

16. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Actually, this is probably the strongest attacking side Everton has had in a good long while. The problem has been that Howard tends to get caught out of position... but as I said awhile ago, they central defense of Jagielka,Heitenga, and Distin (which was so strong last year) has haunted them at times. Heitenga in particular has been kind of poor after being the CLub PLayer of the Year last year. Jagielka has turned it around a bit in recent games.

17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heitinga has been flat out awful. And I mean AWFUL. Howard hasn't been great, but I also think in no danger of losing his spot. Just an off year so far for him. Hope he gets it together in time, we could use the help!

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Off year in the premier league. I think he's been outstanding for the USMNT. I rewatched that friendly in Mexico the other day when it was on ESPN Classic............and he was ridiculous in that match. We had no business winning that game.

Tim Howard is in no way in danger of losing his spot for the USMNT. In fact, I believe he'll be our captain in qualifying (as I don't think Boca will be starting for us).

19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on Tim's performance for the Nats. Which is why Evertonians have been so surprised that he hasn't been as good this year. Well the ones that don't tell me it's because Tim faces fluffballs in CONCACAF. :rolleyes:

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this on purpose?

soccersubjectively repped this.
  21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season Everton was tied for the third fewest goals scored + goals allowed while they are in the middle so far this season. Everton and their opponents have combined for only 3 clean sheets which is the fewest in the EPL. Everton hasn't scored once (more than halfway through the season after failing to score ten times last season) and Howard has two clean sheets. On the other hand, Everton is the only EPL club that has not allowed 3 or more goals in a game, and every other club has done that at least twice. They are also the only EPL club to never score or allow 4 or more goals this season. They have played 21 games and the distribution of them and their opponents combined is 3 games with 0 goals, 20 games with 1 goal, 16 games with 2 goals, and 3 games with 3 goals.

22. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this means ...

23. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard keeps his USMNT spot until he loses it by playing poorly for USMNT. Now is not the time to start a battle for starting GK even if Guzan has been in better form for his club.
    I love this photo too, but probably for a different reason. While waiting to walk to the podium for the awards ceremony, one of the two Americans (John Carlos, I believe) realized he forgot his gloves. The two Americans started to panic thinking only one would be able to carry out their planned protest. Then the Australian (the other guy on the medal stand) suggested that one guy wear one of the gloves in Tommie Smith's pair and the other guy wear the other glove. Notice in the photo Tommie Smith wears a right glove, John Carlos wears a left. Problem solved. History made.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommie_Smith

24. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    howard has let in goals he shouldnt have for the Nats in last years qualifying.

that friendly he was brilliant and he has done well in friendlies not doubt. but in qualifying he wasnt as tip top as I would like from our keeper.

but to each their own.

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    When Tim starts dressing like this, we can discuss his job status:

[​IMG]