Tim Howard close to losing Starting spot?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SweetLife, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shay Given recently lost form in the past year and was replaced by Guzan....true.

But to say he has been terrible the past 3 years is complete fabrication. Totally wrong.

I know of another keeper that has lost form and should be replaced by Guzan.

2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kneejerk, people are so quick to forget. Without Howard those games that we won or tied would be losses instead. He had to stand on his head at Azteca back in August. He also saved our ass against Russia in November. We don't get those results without Howard. As some of you might have noticed the USMNT center defense is horrible.

Namdynamo and Marko72 repped this.
  3. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    This isn't about 3 years either. Get over it, Givens isn't WC. Guzan didn't beat out a WC keeper. Let that argument go and move on to something else.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing at defending champion Manchester City, the only goal he allowed yesterday was on a penalty kick.

5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he didnt have much to do either. he made one really good save though. everton should have won. terrible penalty call too.

man city havent played one single good match all season. what a shit manager they have.

6. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Klinsi has such high regard for Howard that I think he would still start him even if he gets benched for his club team.

He called him one of the best Keepers in the world the other day.

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably. I think Guzan deserves it though. If he does well in Gold Cup it would be tempting.

8. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched Howard much for everton this year but I'm really surprised anyone thinks he's having a bad season. He was awesome vs Russia just recently, and given that performance I just don't see how he could be so horrible for Everton. No I don't watch te matches but I haven't seen any 'Howard mistake costs Everton' headlines.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan = Steady doesn't make many mistakes, younger and bit more physical for the position.
    Howard = Fantastic saves, usually solid, at times have a problems guarding the near post and his positioning on goal can be a problem, lost of experience.

For me, Howard still better because we need a goalie to make the fantastic saves because, let's face it, we are not a very strong team against top tier opponents. If we were a top defensive team then I would take Guzan.

10. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had loads to do in that match. He made at least three 'big saves' (commentator's words) and wasn't in any way at fault for the goal, and thusly earned Everton a point. If this is a performance people are pointing to to try to find some faults in Howards game then there's really no substance to doubts about Howard.

11. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aston Villa is arguably a much weaker team than Everton. I don't think that Guzan lacks the ability to make great saves.

Howard has had a lot of big moments for us. No one is denying that he made great saves. But the idea that he's the only keeper in the world (American or not) that can make the saves is ridiculous. At some point, even if Tim is still capable of being decent or making good saves, Guzan (or someone else) may surpass him as an overall keeper (I'm not debating if that has already happened, as I haven't had a chance to watch Guzan much at AV).

I agree with this. In general, managers are very loyal to their keepers. This could be for good reason, as consistency with the keeper is good for the team, as long as the keeper isn't performing really poorly. So a lot of things must happen if Guzan is to take the job from Howard (Guzan keeps his form up, Tim really struggles, etc.).

Then again, JK did famously demote Oliver Kahn, so anything is possible....

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Tim Howard has been a good, but not great, keeper for a long time. He makes some fantastic saves. Bu the also has concentration/positioning issues, which cause him to get beat from distance when he shouldn't, and not clear balls played over the top, and/or have issues with crosses from time to time.

Further, a lot of the time he tends to guess when the opposing team has a golden opportunity. This can lead to fantastic saves, but it also leads to letting in some goals where if he'd have just stayed big and stayed in position, a save would have been made.

Tim has been poor, borderline terrible for Everton this year. Guzan has been awesome for Villa. Time for Guzan to start getting some USMNT minutes. Lots of them. I'm not saying Guzan should be the #1, but I am saying he should get a chance to win it.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If JK were even slightly considering a keeper change for the US, he would have called up Guzan and given Howard a break in the Russia match. That was the ideal game to test Guzan within a core lineup and against a quality opponent. Indeed, I think it was a minor mistake by JK to not test Guzan vs Russia, considering Guzan's excellent play this fall.

So, there really isn't much of a chance that Guzan replaces Howard any time soon. But the 2014 Cup is still 18 months away and I don't think Howard has the job locked up 18 months out. I'm very glad the US has Guzan, and I think he is definitely starting quality; hasn't peaked yet, either.

Tom Collingsworth, CTS26 and Marko72 repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Keeper is the kind of position where the majority of coaches stick with their #1. You don't want to change keepers mid-stream unless there's an overwhelming issue. And it's also the kind of position, like quarterback in the NFL, where you can't have two #1's. If you have two starters, you really don't have any.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    On the other hand, the best move Bruce made in 2002 was to go with the other Big Brad.

Guzan's November Castrol points : Sunderland - 635, ManU - 0 (must be an omission), ManCity - 345, Arsenal - 943, Reading - 1,229.

Howard - Fulham - 55, Sunderland - 816, Reading - 450, Norwich - 870, Reading - 200.

Guzan - no truly bad games, one mediocre, one good, two excellent out of four.

Howard - two bad, one mediocre, two very good.

If you want consistency out of your GK more than anything else ...

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree, though I realize I'm in the minority. I think you need to have two keepers that are ready to step in and play, and whom are familiar with, and to, the starting defenders. I'll offer up two arguments.

First, it is just plain silly not to develop depth at every position. GK should not be a special case. What if your starter gets hurt at a key moment? Let's look back to WC 2010 in South Africa. Howard gets hurt, but we don't really have a proven backup, or at least one who has had much time with the defenders. So we go with a less than 100% Howard. I think the injury limited his play, and hurt the team. He's a bit slow to react to a long range shot, and we are down 1-0 to Ghana. If we'd have had a backup the coach had confidence in, and had proven himself, I think our team would have been better off.

Second, in 2002 we had keepers 1 and 1A in Friedel and Keller. That worked out pretty well in terms of the results that tournament. The idea that Clint put forward is just plain silly. Did we have no starters with Friedel AND Keller on the squad? Did Friedel play poorly because Keller was waiting in the wings? No. Friedel stood on his head.

Again, I don't think GK is a special case. Guys who have an automatic spot will get lazy. Competition for spots is a good thing. And developing multiple players at each position who can contribute in big situations is a good thing.

Guzan should start getting starts. With the A team. Soon.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Its great that Guzan is rising to provide true competition to Howard. It will keep rhem both sharp and without a doubt Guzan will get games next year as a starter. By the start of the WC either Howard will return to Greatness or Guzan will have his job. We need to get tough on Hamid and Johnson and MacMath. 1 of them should be ready as a no.3 by then

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Just want to point out that last year Villa's defense was horrid. This year Villa's defense has been much stronger but this year it consists of young inexperienced defenders. Guzan is a big reason why Villa's defense has been pretty strong this season. He organizes his back line very well. I think he would do a better job than Howard in organizing the back 4 of the United States.

CTS26 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    But in 2002 Arena initially made that move due to a Keller injury. Correct?
    Once he'd made the move, he chose to stick with the hot hand. And rightfully so.

The Keller/Friedel debate highlights the issue that you can't have two #1s. Once Arena chose Keller for the 06 cycle, Friedel promptly exited stage right. If we switch to Guzan now, we just have to be prepared to lose Howard long-term. It's Tim that's been travelling to 3rd world hell holes to fight his guts out for the USMNT this cycle. And he's been outstanding for the USMNT. We've all seen some poor performances in the premier league with Tim, however I haven't had any problems with his performances for us against Russia, Mexico, etc.

I like Guzan. I just don't see Klinsmann making the switch. At this point in the cycle, right before the hex starts, I don't see the coach "changing streams." Hell, I think that if Bocanegra doesn't make some squads (possible and likely)...............Howard could be made captain of the USMNT.

20. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Lot's of Guzan love around here.
    I have not seen him play in a long time so I can't really comment on him.
    I will say however that no matter how great he appears... ... club form is different than National Team form. We just don't know how he would play for the USA in the HEX. He does not have the experience nor the trust of his teammates (and coach) right now that Howard has.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree with all that. the best way to get tough on them though is to keep on bringing in Rimando. Says an important message. Theres the realistic chance that all 3 are not ready for 2014, they only got a season and a half to prove it. If not, Rimando goes for me.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks safe for now.

23. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan actually played decently in the game. Saved a couple of clear goals (including a PK). I think the only ones where he'd be at fault would be the 5th (meg) and the 8th in stoppage time. Even the nutmeg was a laser so I don't really hold it over his head. I can't tell what happens on the eighth but I think he could have made the save... not positive.

http://www.footreview.net/home/viewvideo/6529/epl-2012-13/chelsea-8-0-aston-villa

24. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1. Keepers get far too much credit for keeping the scoreline 3-0 instead of 5-0.

25. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8 reasons why he is not ready to displace Howard:D