Tim Howard close to losing Starting spot?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SweetLife, Nov 26, 2012.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard does make me nervous with the way he handles/doesn't handle crosses. And there are times where you have to wonder about his positioning. Seems like he gets lost at time. Then he makes it up with the unexpected save. But, as they say, a good GK is the one who makes all the saves you expect him to make and the occasional unexpected.

2. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. SOCCERMARINE

SOCCERMARINE Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't th
    ink that chart prooves fair justification for Howard losing his spot, 90% of those hold were within 8-15 meters probably created from intricate passes (brazil) and set piece(Ecuador). I think shows our problems in defense, we would see more long range efforts if our defense was good enough to warrant the opposition take those efforts

4. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chart already appears inaccurate.
    I can think of three goals immediately scored from outside the box. Jamaica 2 and Guatemala 1 outside the box on set pieces.

there is only one on this chart.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just friendlies in that chart, fwiw.

6. fdfd

fdfd Member

May 31, 2012
    Never really been a Howard fan, and thought he cost us both in the World Cup and the following Gold Cup final against Mexico.

With that being said he has been solid for the most part under Klinsmann

(TxT) repped this.
  7. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard isn't very bright (I base this on his explanation of the original photo of the 1968 Oympics black gloved anthem salute he has in his TV room) he should have gone to college.

Going forward I couldn't care less who plays keeper for us. It is our deepest position, and I would be comfortable with at least a dozen different guys.

8. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Would you care to explain the Tommie Smith thing from Howard or at least find what you're talking about for me?

soccersubjectively repped this.
  9. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was giving a tour of his home on a video. (Fox or ESPN) He didn't articulate anything about Smith and Carlos that was in the least bit interesting, or indicated any meaningful reason why it was important to him or history. A bad stumble? Maybe, but this photo has "pride of place" in his home.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    howards fine.

I think Guzan may supplant him.

11. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I think he got out of his comfort zone when he started talking about the picture, I don't see anything thing wrong about his love for that picture nor do I think he's misunderstanding what that picture represents. I think you might be a bit harsh on him here. He's just a normal man showing off his home. Although he definitely indicates why it's important to history just not in the most eloquent of ways.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Honestly at this point Guzan is the better keeper especially based on form. Guzan has been Villa's best player this season. Howard has probably been Everton's worst player so far. Give Guzan a chance Jurgen. He has waited so long and is proving himself to be a top keeper. He proved he is a better keeper than Given who has been one of the better keepers of the last decade.

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Agree. Agree.

When a player doesnt have to compete for a spot keeps messing up (hence moyes bringing in some competition) versus a player who beat out a WORLD CLASS keeper like shay given...

NO BRAINER...give it to guzan.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Geek: Yeah, but the thing is I’m kinda like the leader. Kind of like the King of the Dipshits.

Funny how a decent keeper on poor teams looks so much better than they should be given credit for.

15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    worst movie ever.

Guzan won player of the month in October....you must be joking if you didnt know that.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2972890,00.html

Meanwhile evertons coach is bringing in another keeper because howard has looked shit. (in polite terms he is bringing him in for competition to help his form......yeah)

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Forget your tactics remark. This is the dumbest thing you've ever said.

Exactly. Its like being named team MVP on the New York Mets. Not a very high standard.

It's his job to do that. I have no problem with him doing so.

17. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of liked the breakfast club when i was 16 and disillusioned.

I dont know. From the director of Curly Sue we bring you Pretty in Pink....sigh. the 80s.

well it was your time. I prefer scorsese and godard. I cant watch that stuff anymore.

Im sure its fine. Sorry to insult things you like.

If he keeps Aston Villa in the EPL it will be quite an achievement.

Meanwhile Everton have an incredible squad with high quality international players from top to bottom and one of the brightest managers in the league.

At least you admit howard has been complete shit.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I will go as far to say he should have done better on that ball vs. Norwich the other day, and no, this hasn't been his best season. 'Complete shit' is quite over-dramatic.

This is a team pushing for Top-6 and outside chance at top-4. If he can get a better #2 or even a #1B goalkeeper to make the team better, then by all means he should. All their main competition has that type of depth.

19. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Did you just say Shay Given was a world class keeper?

20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Given has not been World Class for awhile

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ummm no. he is an excellent keeper. he got beat out by Guzan. good on him. he also got beat out by another young keeper at man city....

youth beating out older keepers.

DO IT JURGEN! DO IT!!

22. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm go look up that mans career. what an excellent keeper he has been in his career. couldnt handle the competition with the younger hart.

and the younger guzan did the job at villa.

23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah.

Being that Tim Howard is an Afro-American athlete who represents his country and chose to buy a print of that particular picture, I have no doubt whatsoever that he is well aware of the significance of that moment in history. My guess is that he just didn't want to get up on a soapbox or say anything controversial when after all that segment was simply a "USMNT Cribs" segment and nothing more, and so he just came off a little awkward in explaining it.

Foolishness repped this.
  24. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Career has nothing to do with this. Unless you think Babe Ruth is still the greatest current baseball player.

25. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious if BS thinks Meola in his prime was better than what Guzan is now..