Tim Howard close to losing Starting spot?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SweetLife, Nov 26, 2012.

1. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HartwickFan repped this.
  2. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have said this for the past year and a half.

howard is losing his form.

guzan is better right now and has been for the past few months.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A poor man's Kasey Keller. Capable of the athletic save that you think was impossible. Vulnerable on FK's and with a crowded box. Always, ALWAYS, had a lot of criticism for any perceived mistakes of his defenders, but never really seemed to ever acknowledge any of the balls that he had to pick out of his net might have been at least part his fault.

Tom Collingsworth, (TxT) and Statman repped this.
  4. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like some have scores to settle...:eek:

I still think he is our number 1 and no one is really close to him right now.

5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have you watched guzan with aston villa? his team is horrible but he has been outstanding.

juniorLA repped this.
  6. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Howard's long tenure has me biased, but i don't see him losing his NT starting spot to guzan unless howard does in fact get benched at everton. It's kind of like landon donovan, even when he's been in bad form he's kind of gotten a free ride to the NT starting lineup based on how vital he has been for our NT in the past. I think Howard is kind of in the same boat.

7. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, he is decent but, is he better than Howard? I am not sure. If Howard does end up on the Bench then, there would be no debate.

8. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think Howard is the clear #1 for the US, partly because even though Guzan is now starting in the Premier League as well, experience counts in goal and Howard has a lot more experience at a high level and also specifically with the US squad. So while I do tend to think people over-rate Howard, Guzan needs to put in a full season this year and come back as a Premier League #1 next if he is to keep the pressure on. Half a season on a team that looks like a possible relegation candidate isn't exactly a match for Howard's years of play in the top flight. If Villa were to go down, what happens? I'd be happy to see Guzan get a game here and there for the US to give Howard a break now and then. But, he's still got some work ahead of him before he takes over.

10. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I do agree though that if Howard gets benched this whole discussion could change quickly.

11. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't cut and paste entire articles here. You've been around long enough to know that.

12. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there some legal issues??:eek:

13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for No One expects the Kindergarten Inquisition!

soccersubjectively and Bookmesir repped this.
  14. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Badges? We don't need any stinking badges!

To praise our most beloved starting GK, that is, until he no longer starts.

So, anybody have any idea how Brad and Andres are getting on these days?

15. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard's having a bad season for Everton. This doesn't automatically make him shit.

I doubt he's benched.

16. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So what I see from Wikipedia is that there are only two GKs in Everton. Also, Gordon is injury prone. I don't see any benching happening yet.

19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Guzan has been very good for Villa. He has saved Villa so many times this season. He should be given a real shot at the #1 spot. He commands his area so well.

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of the worst ways to measure a keeper right there.

evertons team is so much better than villa it isnt even funny.
    its the kind of goals you let in not your save pct.

howard has let in a bunch of howlers.

guzan on the other hand has had to deal with a barrage of shots and made glorious saves.

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of the worst ways to measure a keeper right there.

evertons team is so much better than villa it isnt even funny.
    its the kind of goals you let in not your save pct.

howard has let in a bunch of howlers.

guzan on the other hand has had to deal with a barrage of shots and made glorious saves.

22. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    A lot of the goals Timmy has let in this year have been him in poor positions. What makes it even more frustrating for Everton is this is one of their strongest squads in a long time with a lot of players in top form. Now to be fair to Howard, Heitinga/Jagielka/Distin have not been that good this year either. But Everton fans are calling for somebody that can take over for Timmy sooner rather than later.

23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There aren't many good quantitive ways to measure a keeper which is why I added, "FWIW". Guzan faces an average of about 4.4 shots on goal per match, Howard faces an average of about 4 shots on goal per match. It does come down to what the quality of those shots are but over the course of a season, probably not going to be too different.

Has Howard really let in a bunch of howlers this season? It is rare for a manager to allow a GK to get to the point where the amount of howlers he lets in during a season goes from the unfortunate one, to two and then a bunch.

24. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    there have been a lot of bad goals that Timmy should save. As I mentioned the 3 CBs who were money for Everton last year, have not been anywhere near as good and Everton are supposedly desperate to get another CB in January (actually targeting Josh Gatt's teammate Vegard Forren).

The reason they really haven't gone a different way is Everton doesn't have anybody better. Jan Mucha is mediocre in every way. At Villa, you had a guy in Guzan who had a good stretch last year when Shay Given was hurt and was so effective a lot of people felt that Guzan should remain the starter. At the beginning of the year, Given was awful. Guzan came in and a lot of the issues they had were minimized. They still suck (a lot of other issues with the team via bad buys from past years and lack of depth) but many Villa fans are afraid to think of where they'd be without Guzan

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The gap is closing.................but Howard is still our clear #1.

Whatever he does at Everton, he's been an absolute rock for the USMNT this cycle.

We're in a tough spot if we're thinking about a keeper switch. The start of the Hex ain't the time to do it. Especially considering how little work Guzan has gotten with the USMNT this cycle. He wasn't even called up for the Russia friendly.............................