Ticket Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Kenp, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Leedarby610

Leedarby610 New Member

May 13, 2005
    South Florida
    We got them. In the Spurs section, 2nd row behind the goal...only 45 quid per ticket. My son's 1st EPL game and it was fab. Finding the tickets wasn't all that hard, but we were lucky too. A seller can't actively tout the tickets, but you kind of have to scan the crowd going into the gates and approach those w/ tickets in their hand and keep it low key...

2. Rogi8

Rogi8 Member

May 15, 2000
    What is the best website if you want to get tickets in the secondary market?

3. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am planning on a work trip to england in mid feb/early march, and it would be great if i could catch at least 1 game while i'm there. the games i'm considering attending are:

sat feb 23
    tottenham vs chelsea

sat mar 1
    west ham vs chelsea
    fulham vs man united**
    arsenal vs aston villa

(the fulham game is the one i'd like most to see - the rest i'd "settle" for :p)

1) any chance i can land at least 1 of those games?
    2) what are the prices for tickets on average?
    3) from reading this thread, i take it the best way to get the tickets is directly from the club when they go on sale - is this still accurate?

thanks for any help or pointers

4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All of those will be tough tickets. Perhaps the easiest would be the Arsenal game. It's not a derby like the two London v. London matches and for the Fulham game you'll face two hazars -- first Fulham regulars will want to see this game and the ManU supporters (who are mostly from London and the Home Counties anyway:D) wll drive up the price. Joining a club's supporters group (always a fee of some sort) will generally help with preference for sales. Post in the BS threads for the club and you'll generally get good advice. I'm suggesting Arsenal since their BS regulars are solid people and they have the biggest stadium of all the matches you are interested in. Plus for them Villa is not a big game.

5. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the advice lb.. i take it tottenham vs man u on feb 2nd would also be a tough one then.. ugh lol. i guess i'll post on their forums to see what i can come up with

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    neither spurs/chelsea nor spurs/man u is going to go onsale to the general public.

spurs tickets go onsale to members only ten days prior to going on sale to non-members. this tends to insure that many matches sell out before they ever become available to anyone else. man u and chelsea are both included among those games.

if you really, really want to attend either of those, your best hope would be to apply for membership with the club (this can be done at the official website). if membership application hasn't been closed already (it does close at some point), you could obtain your membership number, and then be eligible to get a ticket (again from the official website) during the 'members only' period.

the catch, of course, is that neither the membership nor the ticket, itself, will be cheap. if i recall, the m'ship (international) is around 35bps (which will top $70), and the ticket will be even more (how much more depending upon where you sit). that said, this will still likely be cheaper than getting one on the 'secondary market' - which is highly unadvisable for more than one reason.

it's worth pointing out that if you are not a spurs fan, the membership will do virtually nothing for you other than giving you access to spurs tickets. and if you are a spurs fan, it'll do scarcely any more. they'll send you a membership package with a dvd, and some trinkets like a spurs lapel pin, or a keyring. additional benefits are essentially immaterial to those who don't live in proximity to white hart lane.

if, after considering the costs and hassles, this is still something you wish to pursue, i would strongly suggest that you initiate your membership applications asap. at some point, the club will close memberships (i've no idea what the number is), as having a disproportionate number of members relative to available benefits (read: WHL seats) could seriously de-valuate membership, itself (at least that's the reason i've heard). m'ships are broken down into varying levels of benefits; the cheapest (lillywhite) will suffice for your purposes.

also, if you opt for this route, don't dick around when the ticket window opens. log on to the website on the first day of availability and get your ticket. neither match will likely sell out in the first day, but you choice of seats will become very narrow very fast. the cheapest seats (park lane) tend to have the best atmosphere, and the most expensive (west stand) are the dullest. needless to say, if you don't act quickly, you could end up spending alot(!) for what are essentially (in most opinions) the least desirable seats.

if you're a spurs fan, i'd strongly encourage you to do all of this. the lane is phookin' brilliant, and the experience is worth it. if you're a neutral, well then, that's up to you. but should you do so, then 'thanks' on behalf of THFC for your not insignificant contribution to the club coffers for what is, in reality, little more than one football match.*

*though a damn good one, at a great venue, to be sure!

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is excellent advice. I saw a game at White Hart Lane two years ago this December against Portsmouth. That ticket I got through general sale to the public -- it was a Monday night game. It is a lovely old ground and a good place to see a football match.

8. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey ps thanks for all the advice in that post. i hadn't considered becoming a member before, although i don't know if it'll be worth it for me (i have no particular allegiance to any english club, although i did take a liking to the spurs when davids joined).

just as an aside, how much are the cheapest tickets at WHL? (or any other london stadiums, if you guys happen to know)? thanks again

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    spurs match tickets are broken up into three catagories, A, B, and C matches, depending upon desirability/demand. obviously, both chelsea and man u will be 'A' matches. assuming you to be neither child, senior, nor handicapped, 'A' match tickets will run anywhere from 42 to (the outrageously overpriced) 71 bps. with the dollar at roughly 2.10 to the pound, that takes you anywhere from $85+ to $145+ - not cheap. 'C' matches, such as the last league match v wigan, run from 27 to 42 bps ($55+ to $85+).

spurs aren't cheap, but nothing in london is. certainly not any of the other prem clubs, though fulham will be a bit softer than spurs/chelsea/arsenal (dunno 'bout west ham). even championship clubs like QPR, palace, or charlton will cost you upwards of $50 for a decent seat.

now, i'm just basing these figures off of what i've paid (in pounds) over the last couple of years; but finding out with certainty is easy enough. just go to the official website of any club that interests you, and you'll find all the ticket details you could want. the only additional advice i would give is that if you're not able to take in a prem match to your choosing, don't discount the option of lower divisions. loftus road is a favorite of mine, but the valley's nice, too (and, unlike qpr and palace, charlton aren't pants), and there are many more options, as well. i'll even through out a pitch for brentford fc, where an afternoon at griffin park (and any of the pubs on the corners) will show you more about the genuine culture and appeal of english football than will any tourist's day out at the emirates. the football won't be nearly as good, and even this won't be as cheap as it should be, but if you're going to be in london, and you like football, you really shouldn't let 3:00pm on a saturday go to waste.

10. verndogs

verndogs New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    NYC
    Do Not Advertise Ticket Scalpers On This Site. They Are Illegal In The Uk And Not Allowed On This Site.

11. Leedarby610

Leedarby610 New Member

May 13, 2005
    South Florida
    Exactly mate, to borrow a line from the The Football Factory, " What else ya gonna do on a Sa'urday? "

12. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do any EPL clubs have standing terraces like the Bundesliga? It's a good way to watch on a tight budget.

13. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    nope, haven't done for years. they were forced to go all-seater by '94 i think

14. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forced by whom? The EPL? I know UEFA alllows them

15. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    by government, via the taylor report after the hillsborough tragedy, and agreed upon by the league.

16. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes the Hillsborough tragedy. That was my first impression of English soccer fans as a kid. It's too bad they didn't continue the terraces, albeit with safety modifications. The Bundesliga has them and they are quite successful. It gets more people into the stadium, creating a better atmosphere and a chance for those who are priced out at the moment.

17. dupont

dupont Member

May 14, 2006
    Bosnia
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Anyone know where I can get a Carling Cup final ticket?

Or even better...Has anyone got one they want to sell? :confused:

18. Hate_Disney

Hate_Disney New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    I'll be in London in March. I'm not sure which weekend I'll be there. I would love to see a Prem match or a Championship match. I realize tickets for Championship league are easier to get then Prem matches.

I won't know until about 2 weeks before I go which weekend I'll be there so I cant' really pre-purchase the tickets like you all suggest I do.

My question is this: Is there no way to buy tickets either two weeks prior or even (dare to dream) the day of the match? Can you not show up at the stadium and buy tickets from a "scalper?"

Your help is appreciated.

19. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    depends on the match really.
    someone else was asking about matches next week and believe it or not there were still fulham v chelsea tickets on general sale just a few days ago.

20. Hate_Disney

Hate_Disney New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    If you buy tickets via general sale do you have sign up for membership for the club in order to buy tickets or can anyone buy those tickets?

The matches I'm looking at are:
    March 5
    Fulham vs Blackburn
    Arsenal va Sunderland
    West Ham vs Stoke

March 19
    Chelsea vs Man City
    Tottenham vs West Ham
    Millwall vs Cardiff

I wonder if there's any chance I can get tickets to any of those matches?

21. Lions of the South

Lions of the South New Member

Sep 15, 2008
    South East London
    Hate Disney

You should be able to get tickets for Millwall/Cardiff easily enough providing they don't decide to make it members only. It should be close to a sell-out but not quite.

Will be an excellent, volatile atmosphere and a good match too so would definitely recommend it.

22. Hate_Disney

Hate_Disney New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to try for the Millwall match when I go.
    It's just my sister and me going. Do you think two single, American girls will be safe? Really can't wait to go.

23. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many people will attend the Red Devils x2 FA Cup match next week? :D Will Fergie go full throttle and play all his starters, or go easy on Crawley Town and give some benchwarmers a shot. There's no way Crawley Town can give them a good match, can they?

24. Lions of the South

Lions of the South New Member

Sep 15, 2008
    South East London
    Ah, wasn't expecting you to be a girl.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. The police tend to have things well under control these days with regards to crowd trouble.

It will be an intense atmosphere though, you'd be hard pressed to find two more passionate sets of fans in the UK so should be a great experience.

Believe it or not, I've noticed a few Americans visiting the Den over the past few seasons, we seem to be attracting a bit of a following!

25. Hate_Disney

Hate_Disney New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Yep. 100%, English football-loving girl. I'm glad this will be a good match to see. I'm over the moon about going. Hopefully I can get tickets.
    And even if there was a little "crowd trouble" I'd be ok with that. Makes things a little exciting.
    Now all I have to is get from Kensington to the Den, find a nice little pub to have a beer or two and get to the match. Can you recommend a pub nearby?
    So excited about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p