Throw-In: How Close to Touch?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by CDM76, Nov 5, 2012.

1. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a HS game about a month ago where the visiting team took a throw in from about 7 yards behind the TL. It was a bit down hill and a bit behind the home bench. The throw went over me and onto the pitch. I called it back and had him retake it because in my opinion he has gained an unfair advantage from putting the ball back into play from that position. The reason I allowed a retake is because I noticed what he was doing and blew the whistle to prevent it from happening. I did not blow the whistle to punish him for an infraction.

2. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not knowing the whole game, that clip by itself looks mighty red on the second one, especially if the ref warned the thrower verbally (it appeared he moved in and was saying something) on the first. First one at least looked like a throw IN the second one looked like a throw AT and with much more force.

3. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    It is hypocritical for a referee to insist that the throwin be taken within a yard of the touchline after he has been allowing running throwins 10 or more yards from the point where the ball left the playing field.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Hypocritical is a bit harsh. Two meters back? Get a life. 5 yards back, behind the bench. Easy to call.

But the creeping issue is also field position and game context dependent -- an uncontested throw in the back third, I'm probably not going to notice 10 yards; on a ball that goes out in the attacking third, I'm going be much more picky.

Similarly, a throw back to the keeper from 5 yards back from the touch line in the defending 1/3 is less something to worry about than a throw from 5 yards back behind the bench to start an attack from midfield.

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This discussion moved to different thread.

7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I'll stick with hypocritical.

8. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Are you responding to a specific game situation or just being a burro sombrero?

I agree that if a referee were to allow 10 yds of leeway on up/down the pitch and yet punish someone being 2 yds back, that would be crazy.

I would disagree that simply enforcing the distances back from the touchline would hypocritical in a vacuum.

9. 2wheels

2wheels Member

Oct 4, 2005
    A practice such as this description would be akin to ignoring Law 15 [pp 46-47].

When, as a referee, you call just such an infraction, the players will adjust. The 'game' they play stops right after the ball is turned over to the other team. I have had this work like a charm in adult mens (competitive) and womens (college-level) matches. The referee must remain wise to the fact that players will use "where from ref?" ploy by word and gesture to use up time (a few seconds), especially when their team is leading the scoreline, or they are going for a tied score. Why? It seems to me for the simple reason to keep the ball away from their opponents. If the opponents do not have ball they are most definitely not going to score.

10. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was 5 light years. Which is a helluva throw

11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Well, since it's "the herst....." :D

Second time, not accidental. Even if it wasn't what the thrower planned, you have to treat it that way
    or this game is going in the toilet NOW. (Or, since it's women, a game next year between these teams will go to hell and that referee will be wondering what he did wrong.) It isn't just the thrower or the vic, it's what everybody else out there thinks.

12. us#1by2006

us#1by2006 Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Here is something I don't understand specific to this situation and in general to many situations. If enforcing a permitted distance from the touch line for a throw in is trifling, why don't they remove the comment from the Laws?

I have the same thoughts about how a kick-off must move forward as well as several other situations.

13. QuietCoach

QuietCoach Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Littleton, MA
    If the great majority of motorists on a highway are speeding, why don't they remove the speed limit?

- QC

14. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it allows us much more flexibility in managing matches. If the flow is good, no one is complaining and both sides take a few extra steps, you consider the infraction trifling however if it is removed from the LOTG and you need to tighten up all around, you lose a tool as then you can't call it.

kayakhorn repped this.
  15. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    I call it a "No beer on the beach" type rule/ law. It may not always be informed fully but when you need a firm line/distance/rule to enforce, it's there. It's there to be enforced when the situation requires it.

I had a U10G tournament game this past week. The girls should know how to do a throw in by the 10th week of the season. I had one gal do a throw in with her rear foot that lifted above her knee before the throw. I had her re-do the TI and it was worse. I blew the whistle and it was a TI for the other team. Problem was, the throw ins were bad all game and I was changing directions every third throw in or so.

16. Cobras7

Cobras7 Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Northern California, USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the "beer on the beach" idea. Problem is at certain levels where almost every throw is bad, once you call it can't stop. But rules are rules and at 10 years old I would think you could learn to keep 2 feet on the ground! I'm always surprised at how many kids keep lifting their feet after I call it! Just stand still if you have to!!

17. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm reminded of one of vetshak 's podcasts. At 7:55, they discuss calling foul throws and they advocate calling them strictly with little to no allowance for trifling infractions. Vetshak said these podcasts were reviewed by a FIFA Inspector and the MN SRA.

!

18. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    The other factor was the games were being played at the Regional tournament where the winner would play in Area and potentially in the Section or State levels. If they can't be careful now, where will they get in the next level?

19. BillFaust

BillFaust New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    This brings up an issue which has probably been discussed. But in the first example of bad throw-in, which "must be called" because the trailing leg is off the ground, I am not certain it is. I did a stop motion (use the space-bar to stop and start the youtube video) and his toe is dragging the ground at the instant the ball is leaving his hands. At real speed it is a difficult call and I would think I would have let this one go because of the timing. And here it is on a video showing one that definitely should be called.

20. BillFaust

BillFaust New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Here is a screen grab from the video for the first example of a foul throw which "must be called". If we have instructional videos with supposed blatant examples of foul throws, which in truth are not, then what hope do we have of getting these right?

[​IMG]

IASocFan repped this.