Thrilla in Manila: Dooley in The Philippines

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by bshredder, Jan 20, 2014.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree!

Now that it is announced, make it happen @bungadiri or @Friedel'sAccent

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proud to make that one happen.

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Thanks for starting the thread bshredder. I don't usually find another member who joined this forum earlier than I did, but I think I still remember you posting when this forum was still called soccerboards.com. Are you originally from England or did you become a Millwall supporter when Kasey Keller played there?

bshredder repped this.
  4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not uncommon even among American-born players and coaches. I've heard the word "football" used frequently in MLS player and coach interviews, and even more frequently along the sidelines of college soccer games (even where few or none of the players and coaches are foreigners).

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #81 Pelefan, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    I know. It is just an example of how amusing it can be when countries use different terms for the same thing even though they speak the same language.

7. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Hahaha. Good thing the Philippines isn't entirely "Americanized" in terms of culture. When in Rome...

USAMEX10 and Pelefan repped this.
  8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The Washington Post has a short commentary on the history of US coaches managing national teams abroad:

"Dooley follows other Americans who have coached national teams outside the U.S., including Steve Sampson (Costa Rica from 2002-04), Bob Bradley (Egypt from 2011-13) and Thomas Rongen (American Samoa in 2011). Other Americans currently in charge of national teams are Ian Mork (Belize) and Jack Stefanowski (Nepal)."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...68e500-8fca-11e3-878e-d76656564a01_story.html

Testudo repped this.
  9. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rongen was not an American when he coached the American Samoa. I'm not sure if that has changed

10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I am surprised Rongen is still not one by now. He has lived here long enough.

11. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A long time. He's eligible but has never gone through the process & applied

12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    UFL Throws Full Support Behind PFF Challenge Cup Campaign

The United Football League expressed its full backing of the Philippine Football Federation’s campaign to prepare the Men’s National Team for the AFC Challenge Cup. Thomas Dooley was formally introduced to the UFL’s First Division clubs in a dinner that was hosted by the PFF on Friday night. During the gathering, it was agreed that national team players be released for upcoming practice sessions and training camps in order to give the team the best possible chance in the upcoming tournament in May.

“This is the very first time we have come together as a group and we appreciate the Federation’s effort in keeping the UFL clubs and its players informed on the national team’s objectives, program and schedule. The UFL remains committed in its support of the Federation and the Men’s National Team. Our objectives in terms of football development are aligned and we fully recognize that a successful Men’s National Team performance in the AFC Challenge Cup will lead to faster growth of the sport in the country,” said UFL President Randy Roxas. “The clubs present here tonight have no objections to the Federation’s request that national team players be released for national team practice sessions twice a week starting this February. The league will likewise work with the Federation in terms of the proposed schedule for training camps abroad prior to the AFC Challenge Cup.”

Roxas also added. “It has to be mentioned that the UFL has grown significantly over the past 3 years. The level of play has improved and the Clubs present here tonight are spending significant resources in professionalizing the club football structure in the Philippines. The growth of the UFL has kept the pool of homegrown talent competitive and therefore helps the performance of the Men’s National Team.”

“We congratulate Coach Thomas Dooley on his appointment and reiterate our support for the Men’s National Team’s AFC Challenge Cup campaign,” he concluded.

The AFC Challenge Cup will begin on May 19 and will run until May 30. It is the fifth and final edition of the competition. Should the Philippines triumph in the tournament, the nation will qualify for the 2015 AFC Asian Cup, the most prestigious football tournament in Asia, where the likes of Japan, Korea, and Australia regularly compete.

ufl.ph/ufl-throws-full-support-behind-pff-challenge-cup-campaign/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ufl-throws-full-support-behind-pff-challenge-cup-campaign

Testudo and USAMEX10 repped this.
  13. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What are the odds Philippines qualify to the Asian Cup do you think? ?

14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much about the Philippines team, but this is probably one of their better chances. North Korea isn't participating this time around and the Azkals have the highest FIFA ranking out of the Challenge Cup teams.

15. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ya I know most of their best players are dual nationals like the US. PHI got a lot of potential in soccer. I look at there love for bball and can't help but think that there quick players could do on the pitch. That's one thing America should have encouraged along with bball

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #91 Pelefan, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    The Philippines, along with Turkmenistan and Palestine based on the last tournament results, are considered the favorites to win the AFC Challenge Cup. Former World Cup participant North Korea won the tournament the last time, but with them out of the current tournament, those 3 should be the clear favorites this time around. The other nations have improved since the last edition, with some recruiting dual citizen nationals, which might improve their chances as well. Assuming all the Philippine's players are released, which is not always a sure thing because of club obligations, I would think they have a pretty good chance of winning it.

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #92 Pelefan, Feb 10, 2014
    In basketball, the Philippines has qualified for the World Cup in Madrid this year, after finishing in 2nd place in the FIBA Asia championships which they hosted last year. They still hold the best finish for any Asian team in either the World Championships(World Cup) at 3rd place or the Olympics(5th), but because of their size disadvantage, they have not been able to match the taller teams in Asia or elsewhere in recent times, until this year. They will probably end up near the bottom in their group in the World Cup, as they will again be physically outmatched by taller teams from other continents, once they get there. The sport is not just suited for the Filipino physique, but we love it anyways.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  18. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that why the tournament is held during the FIFA designated pre-World Cup "rest period"? I think the FAs have the right to call up anyone they want for this tournament.

19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #94 Pelefan, Feb 10, 2014
    I meant that assuming our foreign based players(Europe and elsewhere) are released, they should have a good chance of winning the Challenge Cup. Some Asian leagues like the Thai league, will I believe have their league schedule ongoing during part of the tournament, so it is possible that our 2nd best striker Patino and possibly a few other players, might not be released. Many of those arriving from Europe will be arriving just before the tournament starts as well, so it is possible they might need a period of adjustment from the jet lag. Many factors affect their chances of doing well in this tournament.

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #95 Pelefan, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Yes, hopefully the clubs cooperate especially those from the Thai leagues since their league schedule(which runs from March to October) coincides with that rest period and they are notoriously reluctant at releasing players for national duty.

21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really depends on how the Challenge Cup is classified by FIFA but the clubs may not have a choice. Of course they can be uncooperative but ultimately this is effectively Asian Cup qualification so...

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I am not sure how FIFA categorizes this tournament. It is technically not part of the Asian Cup qualifiers which is a separate tournament, that is currently ongoing. Previously it was held earlier in the year and generally did not coincide except for a few dates with FIFA match dates. So some of our players were not released. This time around they moved it to coincide with the World Cup rest period, but I am not quite sure all the leagues will be require to release the players.

23. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Really is a shame because I play with many filipinos where I live and they are really good dribblers and shooters just the size difference is in the way. Maybe they'll be half filipinos with size to help them out or if they ever make it to the NBA. On pure skill I'd probably say PHI has the most skilled players in Asia.

Azkals should try and keep there national players in the UFL instead of places like Thailand unless they play at a higher level (Europe, J league, K league, etc)

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #99 Pelefan, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Money talks. The UFL cannot match the salary offers of more established leagues in Asia where football is the number one sport. Other than that, at this stage, the Thai league has a higher level of play and participates in the AFC Champion's league while it will be years before the UFL can reach that level of development, although their standard is improving yearly.

As for half Filipinos in basketball, FIBA has strict rules on this. They will only allow one naturalized player, including dual citizens who did not commit to a fed before the age of 16.

25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The J-League introduced a foreign player slot for Southeast Asian players, but the Philippines isn't included yet. Hopefully negotiations are ongoing between the leagues/FAs, so that we might see a Filipino player in the 2nd or 3rd division at some point down the road.