Thread oficial de la selección de Guatemala (National Team) II

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by edcalvi, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Is anyone else as incredibly frustrated as I am at the fact that we YET to have a new NT coach?

2. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Worst Fedefut president ever.

3. dezeptus

dezeptus Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Not really... I have made peace with the fact that we suck, have always sucked, and forever will suck. But I will be there to support the team like a lemming cuz I'm a drunk and a proud chapin!

4. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I heard different. Either Horacio Cordero or Iván Sopegno would get the job, with the mission to qualify to the next Gold Cup.

I'm cool with either one with Cordero being a slightly better choice. Again, the coach won't matter as much as the quality of players available, which hasn't improved in years and it will not improve in the foreseeable future.

5. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Idk Chacha, I think there's a decent core but there needs to be a process. There's experienced young players like Jorge Ortiz, Enrique Miranda, Renato Sequen that could be studs if brought along right. Defenders is where we always suck. But I think we're stacked at midfield.

Sopengo is having a shitty season at Cremas, leads me to believe it's gonna be the time for him to finally make the jump to the national team.

6. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    #1681 ChaChaFut, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    I disagree about the decent part. See rest of my post below. There is a core, but it's garbage. I agree there needs to be a process. But there is none and there are no plans for it.

I agree those are some of the best young prospects. But what do you consider 'experienced'? Those 3 guys have exactly 3 combined starts for the senior NT (none by Ortiz). So a lot of unknown factors there. Your core, in my opinion, is formed by the known, predictable, experienced players (full international matches are to compete, not to try out players). Your core are Contreras (had surgery today BTW), Pappa, Márquez, Enoc, Lalín, the aforementioned Miranda, Jerez, Paredes, etc. (Not a long "etc.").

7. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    The "core", to me, is the pool of available players that are ready to play an international match at any given time. It is up to the NT coach to ultimately determine who they are, but I think one begins with the basics, such as competitive experience (club experience). For example, for the past 2 decades, and with a decline in direct proportion to the amount of foreigners in the national league, the number of domestic players that meets a minimum average of, say, 60% of minutes played for the past 3 seasons, is painfully short. I will post actual figures at the end of this season, and they will not be pretty. We should be able to compare the data with that our neighbor nations. For instance, of the 3 players brought up by GoldenOne, only Miranda meets this very basic measure at this time.

As a side comment, it's so sad and backwards that there is no Domestic Cup tournament being played. I correlate the lack of it to an even greater decline in the competitive quality of the Guatemalan footballer. A cup tournament is a basic competition played in every developed nation, where there is always an extra opportunity to test players and systems in big teams, and for smaller new and upcoming players, coaches, and clubs, to prove themselves to a new level, and to the point of this topic, for everyone to acquire more experience.

8. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    By experienced young core, I meant experienced in Liga Nacional. Unfortunately, since the national team hasn't played in a year we have no idea what a call-up would look like right now.

Of the experienced core you listed, I think Contreras and Marquez are done. Contreras' body is breaking down, he was barely fast enough for the international level at 23 he's not gonna hang when he's 30. Marquez has failed miserably at the NT level. Enoc is not a NT player right now. I don't even think he's starting at Cremas.

It's crucial to mix an experienced group with a young group. It's the experienced group that sucks right now, the young guys have potential but we don't know what that potential is.

9. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Same thing bro. Sequén, as efficient as he is, has a total club career minutes played under 4,000 as we speak. Ortiz is playing his first ever full season now. That's one of the biggest problems. The few talented players do not amass enough experience early enough in their career.

I have a pretty good idea of what a call up should look like, but no one is going to like it.

Agree with all of this, but who else has experience? Henry Medina? Shaka Shaka (he actually has been tearing it up)? About every experienced guy is "done", their full potential is known, and have failed during some NT experiment in their careers. And it is not their fault in the slightest. They are the best known current players. A product of a system that does not develop players well enough nor early enough. We've seen this for a couple of decades, it's not a new circumstance.

All of them suck, not just the experienced ones. It is not fair to blame them for attaining no more than what they can. And the new flashy young ones will follow suit. Sequén and Jorge Ortiz are doomed to become the next Moyo and the next Jairo Arreola, unfortunately.

10. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Not if the new guys go abroad. Ortiz was being courted by Costa Rican teams. Sequen is only 20. Miranda is 23. There's Yimmy Villatoro, Marvin Ceballos.

What would your call up look like?

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    both of you post your respective call-ups.

If Copa Centro Americana was to happen tomorrow, who would you call-up and what would be your starting XI.

12. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    It would be primarily made of people who play all the time in their clubs. Novel concept, huh.

Anyway, right now, and for the sake of this discussion, it would be something like:

G: Jerez / Paredes, Barrios
    D: Castrillo, Enoc, Quincho Alvarez, Lalín / Hamilton Lopez, Henry Medina, Pando Garcia.
    M: Wilfred V., Márquez, Pappa, Miranda, Shaka Shaka / Erick Priego, Ciani, Sequén
    F: Chalupa Lopez /Jairo Arreola Johnny Brown, Jorge Ortiz.

Of course if El Pescado un-retires, he takes a spot.

GoldenOne repped this.
  13. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I put a slash / after my starters. 4-5-1

14. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Sorry, I meant Julián Priego, not Erick. Another mid I like is Gustavo Grajeda.

15. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    GK. Jerez
    Def: Castrillo, Lalin, J. Monterroso, A. Cifuentes
    CDM: W. Velasquez
    Wingers: Pappa, Ceballos
    Central Mids:Sequen, Miranda,
    Fwd: H. Lopez

Bench:
    Forwards: Yimy Villatoro, Jorge Ortiz
    Mids: Kevin Norales, Shaka Shaka, K. Arriola.
    Defenders: Hamilton Lopez, Enoc, Rafa Morales.
    Keepers: Paredes, Victor Ayala

ChaChaFut repped this.
  16. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I like your back line. We're about on the same page. Most trouble is probably in attack. I think we both agree Miranda should be the axis and that there isn't much better than Wilfred available at DM. As much as I probably wouldn't call the guy up in real life for the elbow he threw the other day at a 17 year old kid.

17. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    A shame that we don't have a better destroyer at CDM. I actually think that's Enoc's natural position.

I think that midfield would do damage. Sequen and Ceballos dropping back defensively when needed and Miranda and Pappa staying up. Our target forward pool is not good enough (Campollo/Arreola). I like what Henry Lopez has done when he's been with the national team, I'd like to see what his speed could do on the end of those precision passes from Sequen and Miranda.

18. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Galindo would've been an AMAZING CDM. Showed he had the chops in the couple games he played. Too bad his knee blew out.

19. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Totally. The way he went out was a damn shame too, blew out his knee playing a damn pick-up game. Jeez what an epic fvck up.

20. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Trujillo is another decent DM but he is also injured at the moment. We will see how he is doing come the time.

21. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
  22. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Crazy good friendly. It's been confirmed, will be played in the U.S.

New national team coach will be announced in a few days.

23. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Confirmed on GUATEFUTBOL. Anyone want to go to the game?

But seriously why the hell don't we ALREADY KNOW WHO THE DT IS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I bet Jimenez is just stalling for time because he doesn't have a DT....f-ing snake.

24. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Brayan Jimenez confirmed it but I won't believe it until I see the game listed on the FIFA website.

I'm reading that Ghana is backtracking because they found out we have no DT.