Thoughts about a Richmond NASL team?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by KickersFTW, Aug 22, 2013.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Throws a offer? You really have no idea how NASL works, do you?

2. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally target cities with great potential. Phoenix would be a NASL target had the USL team folded (they were saved by a new ownership in the last day or so). They like larger populations and big markets however that's not always the case. Richmond sits in quite a soccer hot bed surrounded by universities that constantly put out talent worthy of NASL/MLS rosters. Not to mention academies such as the Kickers academy which puts out tons of talented players (both boys and girls). You'd be amazed how many players went through Kickers academy on the way to the MLS (and were very successful). I mean it could stay DC United (MLS), VA Calvary(NASL), and Kickers (USL) but there's also a potential rivalry there. Battle of VA (NOVA vs RVA). I dare say I'd like to see Charleston Battery come with us being a long time rival and great organization. You have a potential for a real geographical battle between Railhawks, Battery, Calvary, and Kickers.

sidenote: a less sarcastic tone might be more productive considering you are talking to a Screaming Eagle

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28 SoccerPrime, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    If the Kickers get a 10k stadium, then I imagine the Kickers will play their USL Pro games there. Why is this so difficult?

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No.

Would the Richmond ownership make an offer to NASL?

Maybe.

5. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps because there's no stadiums are 10-15K in USL.... Unless you are talking about the giant bowl Orlando plays in. I find it hard to believe a USL team is going to build a stadium that would be 10,000+ seats to sit in third division.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the alternative? By moving to NASL do you think their attendance will increase? Are people more interested in seeing Edmonton, Ft Lauderdale or San Antonio over Pittsburgh, Charleston or Dayton? Sure the Cosmos (might) bump up the first time, but that will level out after that.

7. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not names that matter to Richmonders. It's pro teams or teams close to top tier that get the most attention. Outside of Charleston none of the other teams really mean that much to Richmond fans (Possibly Wilmington but thats even questionable). I dare say Richmond would have a rivalry with the Calvary it doesn't have in USL (Northern VA and Central VA are two different worlds. NOVA vs RVA) Also better talent brings more fans. Richmonders got excited by the MLS deal because it meant some potentially really talented players joining our normal squad. While in the past they haven't averaged a amazing attendance they were bringing out 6-7K last season. That should be staying around with the momentum of the supporter section which has really been the driving force there right now.

8. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Can't help but feel that Richmond would be a great addition to the league. Just how far this city is willing to invest in the professional soccer market remains to be seen.

If the NASL could make its foot print on this city early it would help to make the league more solid.

Having expansion cities like Jacksonville & Oklahoma City in 2015 following Indianapolis, Ottawa & Virginia (2014) will only strengthen the eastern area as it charters west of the Mississippi. The league will need to claim areas like Albuquerque, Phoenix & San Diego if it wants to be on a national scale.​

9. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, I agree up until you got into Albuquerque, Phoenix, and San Diego. I would love to see NASL concentrate on the East Coast for the short term. Let's have a season, or god-forbid two seasons, where there is no team folding/beginning/trouble. If the work on what they have for just a few seasons, consolidating and strengthening, then they can venture out to the West Coast. At this moment, the expenses of traveling out west is going to hit these clubs hard. Hell, OKC is going to be a good test for these clubs and their cash flow.

I just don't think NASL is in a position to take on way too many travel expenses. Look at ULS-Pro. LA Blues on the verge of folding, Phoenix folding like a house of cards. Now they want to add OKC too? Good luck to them.

I'm not saying they shouldn't go out west, I'm just saying not right this second. Let them get more solid feet under themselves, that is all I ask.

10. RichmondRowdy

RichmondRowdy New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Richmond
    Club:
    Richmond Kickers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best way I can describe richmond to people is think "portland of the east." We live in the shadow of a major city (Washington, D.C.) just like portland (Seattle) and have a chip on our shoulder. If you don't believe the former capital of the confederacy can be cool, you haven't been to rva in some time. Richmond has a lot of potential with all the parts to be a very successful team. They only lack ownership and a stadium. The stadium is coming by the way. The type of fan soccer wants is here, think urban hipster. The culture is here. Beer, tattoos, DIY attitude, no football team, no major sports team besides VCU basketball. And the love for soccer is here. Richmond was recently rated the number 6 viewing city for the premier league this year. Also, the kickers already have a youth academy which is helping grow their support. All signs point up, we just need a leader with vision.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With fewer tattoos. #goeswithoutsaying

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So only lacking ownership and stadium. MLS here they come.

song219 repped this.
  13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the current Richmond team is happy in the USL Pro....& the NASL is trying to pull a USL here or this is just imagination talk?

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latter.

As with most things.

Though it will be interesting to see the Richmond v. Richmond derby.

15. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #40 Laramie, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Richmond (44. 1,245,764) mirrors Oklahoma City (42. 1,319,677) in size and demographics. Richmond probably has more Fortune 500 companies per capita than any city in the U.S. with over one million in its metropolitan area. Richmond doesn't have an NBA franchise within its state's borders to compete with for disposable income. Virginia's capital city has potential.

The USL Pro has made its debut in Oklahoma City. It's early, so the verdict is not out yet; the team (OKC Energy) has lost its first two games. The Energy FC has sold out their first two games. The attendance figures for the first two games holds promise. Pribil Stadium seats 3,741 is in a modest area of OKC, the Energy will begin play next season in the newly renovated 7,000-seat Taft Stadium :

A-4,532 - May 04 Oklahoma City Energy FC 1 Orlando City SC 3 (Opening day).
    A-3,860 - May 10 Oklahoma City Energy FC 0 Orange County Blues 1
    A-x,xxx - May 16 Richmond Kickers @ Oklahoma City Energy FC

NASL Oklahoma City FC doesn't begin play until 2015; they will play in the 6,500 seat Millers Stadium in suburban OKC, Yukon, home of Garth Brooks. There will be a battle between the NASL & USL-Pro to see who can make its footprints on the OKC market.

16. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Richmond needs to follow Oklahoma City's path; MLS could be in your future.

Owners of the Oklahoma City Energy FC are making plans to build a stadium:

Phase I: 7,000 minimum seats.
    Phase II: 20,000 minimum seats.

The owners have expressed their intentions to eventually apply for an MLS franchise following 2017. They hope to have the first phase of their stadium completed by then and work with the Oklahoma City on a private-public partnership plan to eventually build a 20,000 seat soccer specific stadium as a part of Phase II.

Oklahoma City Energy ownership has MLS plans in its future:

17. RichmondRowdy

RichmondRowdy New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Richmond
    Club:
    Richmond Kickers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than Portland? Holy shit.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 753 (announced) turned out for the Richmond derby tonight.