Thoughts about 2013

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by giftedmadness, Jan 26, 2013.

1. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Robb said in his last tweet barrage coming back from AZ that the retro night/jersey thing was more likely a 2014 kind of thing.

2. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to be very anti-OnGoal. He is probably the only fan who thinks that the teams better days were at Arrowhead. I can understand not like the new team name and color scheme. However, there is not a single area where this organization was better prior to OnGoal taking over and there is no logical argument that anyone can make for it being true.

3. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    trophies.

not sure that's a fair point or not, but it's the one thing point he can make that isn't wildly speculative or internally inconsistent (jimmy can't make saves at all, because he sucks, but when he fails to make saves it's on purpose, cuz the fix is in, etc.)

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would be if we give ongoal another 5 years or so, and then compare.

5. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even then, you're talking a league with twice as many teams in it.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree to a point. But I think that the league OnGoal came into when they bought the team was (and even more so now) much more different than when the Wizards won MLS Cup 2000.

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we only have one piece of hardware compared to the three under the Hunts, I believe that OnGoal is making more of an effort to win them than HSG did. The league has a lot more teams and the competition is significantly more difficult than it was in 2006 when OnGoal purchased the team. As long as we can hold onto players and keep restocking as key players leave, we should be competitive for the next several years at the top of the league and HSG never had that kind of consistency at the top. RH seems to be one of the most competitive owners not just in MLS but American sports overall so I have faith we will continue to be competitive. Granted, all sports teams in the US have down years from time-to-time including the Yankees and Lakers but I think we will be one of those teams where down years are far fewer than competitive years. I hope I'm not wrong, RH just seems to be the type that would do whatever possibly to turn things around if we had a losing season. I think going out and getting Bieler and Feilhaber despite two straight division titles is indicative of that.

ji_shuheng repped this.
  8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just a side note, and I hate to be that guy. But as someone who happily volunteers every year with the Special Olympics, and having worked with several special needs children on a regular basis both at church and work, I look forward to the day when this word is no longer in our casual vocabulary.

In fact, I can't think of anything that would make me happier than if OnGoal changed their association focus from LiveStrong to the Special Olympics in some way. Maybe not necessarily a stadium name, but some kind of beneficial relationship.

As you were. Sorry.

9. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think it's more likely we'll stop using "retarded" to refer to people with an IQ below a certain threshold (or whatever the medical criterion is) and continue using "retarded" as a term of disparagement, the way we seem to be abandoning "dumb" in favor of "mute" while preserving "dumb" as a term of disparagement.

10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I have a thought about 2013:

This is from the press release on MLS LIVE 2013 -

Really awesome that they will be archiving blackout/nationally televised games after they are initially aired. Also will be viewable on iOS, Panasonic TV, Roku, and soon, Android.

11. giftedmadness

giftedmadness Member

Jun 16, 2003
    KC
    I have a neighbor with downs and used to have a cousin with it as well. I use words pretty literally and in no way do people with Down syndrome corner the market on the word retarded. It's the same with the word gay and homosexuals. When I call something retarded, people with downs are the furthest thing from my mind. It would be a different story if I called someone a retard. That would be indeed offensive. But you commenting on my use of this word shows an over-sensitivity on your part.

On the fixing of the regular season note, how about rewarding the SS winner with a direct appearance in the mls cup final?

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've personally always disliked this thought, not really sure why, just don't like it.

13. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an advocate of the round robin (group) approach where the number 1 team has four home games, number 2 has three home games, number 3 has two home games, number 4 has one home game, and number 5 has none.

If MLS wants a play-in for number 5 between teams 5 and 6, fine.

Top two from the group then play for the conference championship (you pick format, I don't care).
    Conference winners play one game for MLS Cup.

14. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agree. Don't like a team bypassing the entire playoff structure to get to the final. I'm fine with SS and MLS Cup being two completely separate awards, I just wish the SS would gain a little more prosperity. Perhaps the league could give a monetary award or other considerations that makes it worth the accolade?

15. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've noticed this idea has been gaining more traction lately. They talked about it on ExtraTime Radio during the playoffs last year. I like it a lot, too.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think ditching aggregate scoring would at least be a start. In that instance we'd have taken Houston to OT and the way we were playing we'd have eventually won.

17. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I have been a repeating this for over two years now. I really think that it would be awesome!

18. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liga MX is a good example of this. Except I think they have a semi-final and final after the round robin. I think this is a much better approach than what MLS does now, but the counter arguement is that it adds too many games.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with a season already starting in early March and stretching through December, it'd be hard to fit extra games in while still doing what most fans seem to want, and that's observe international dates.

20. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    its not that different in numbers of games played. 3 in the group, and a semifinal series is 5 games, 6 when you include MLS Cup. Currently 2 home and aways, and the MLS cup is 5 games, 6 if you include the play-in.

21. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I still endorse this solution wholeheartedly. Points earned are what should matter, not total goals scored.

22. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aggregate scoring is great for minimizing the home-field advantage that any team has... but I don't think that we should be doing that when the playoff seeding is the only thing, outside of the SS (which should get more prosperity, as vividox had said), that comes out of the rather long season we have.

I like the whole first-to-four concept, that would be much better.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah the old first to 5 points, that was good times if only because I distinctly remember the 2000 season for that.

24. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I definitely think that a 4 team round robin (#4 and #5 play a play-in match like they do now, so the league can still have their 10 team playoff structure) is my favorite. That's actually shorter than the playoff season we have now: it's just wildcard, three games in the round robin, final. The only shortcoming I can think of is there is a possibility (although probably pretty small with only three games) that there is a playoff game where a team is playing for absolutely nothing - a notion which is positively anti-playoffs.

25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, that's a very real possibility, and that would be a huge issue, in my opinion.