This year's marketing campaign 2011

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by futbol monkey, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on the dunking one. I think if anything just because of the vuvu... whatever the hell those loud annoying horns were called, it'll resonate with people that might otherwise dismiss a soccer ad.

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. These ads aren't bad, but, I prefer ones that show the excitement and passion found at the game and create a sense of pride in team and town. You want people to see them and think, "I want to be part of that". Here is the Timber ad again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjlc-eVlKeE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjlc-eVlKeE[/ame]

3. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i listen to radio in Seattle some time, and these days some of the traffic reports are being sponsored by the Flounders. they are really plugging the start of the season. where are our radio ads ?

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN2WC6miKJ0]Earthquakes VS: Behind the Scenes[/ame]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

5. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Buschy taller than Tom Cruise, in any case? :)

-G

7. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Anthony and Q made a good showing at the season finale of the California Cougars. They got a good reception from the crowd as well. It's great to see te organization reaching out to the Central Valley.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty cool! :)

-G

9. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Cruise giving Busch a chance at...what? (Dude, don't join the cult)

10. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let's take a look at the Crew's commercial

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X4LenMHl2E&feature="]YouTube - 2011 Columbus Crew commercial[/ame]

Now That's is inviting !

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That is a great ad. You know it's about the game of soccer, and the takeaway is that if you go to a soccer game you'll have a fun, exciting experience. And they didn't even need to shoot any new footage.

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at's a good'n!

13. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully our FO is taking notes !

enough with the lame marketing !

14. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought that was kinda cheesy. The whole "epic music over highlight reel"...eh, pretty commonplace. Nothing wrong with it, and it's a fine commercial, but I prefer ours. The Crew one is traditional, "Look what we do," ours is more contemporary...quirky, random, simple, clean. Different approaches, I won't even pretend to know which is more effective, or even what the specific purpose is of each.

15. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe my standars are a lot higher (marketing speaking) than some of you in these boards.

Lets said I wasn't a Quakes fan and looking for a team to support, now I see Columbus ads and then the Quakes ads...wich team should I support based on their ads ? the one that showing a I don't know who, kicking a pinata in an empty stadium or the one showing a great atmostphere in the stand ?

18. futurequakekeeper

Feb 14, 2008
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Actually, funny thing is im taking courses to become a business major. here is the problems you stated, and i will say them in a diff. way since its very hard for people here to grasp ideas.
    the commercials are FUNNY(well 2 of 3).what attracts peoples attention? loud noises and comedic antics(commercials have both).

say your a average person, the average person knows 3 things in the dunking booth commercial.

1. what a vuvuwhatever is and how annoying they are.
    2.what soccer is.
    3.what a dunking booth is.

add all three together with a cameo of a galaxy fan(for the real fans) add humor, and viola you have the average person laughing his butt off.

what happens next?
    1. the quakes logo appears.
    2.the average person visits the website.
    3.the average person(this is for the 21-34 year olds) find that the ultras are a rowdy bunch and can have a good time(consider a banner containing those elements on the quakes website btw ;) ).
    4.(this is for the family man) due to its comedic humor will think its fun to take the family to the game.
    5.buys tickets.

make sense now? :)
    i notice alot of quake fans are very conservative when it comes to thinking outside the box(along with alot other sj dwellers)

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Portland?

20. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :mad: :D

Based in their ads ?
    Portland's look like they are sending you to work in the woods.

21. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have a blue and black-painted ass farting at a camera, but I wouldn't count on that moving people to go to games.

Not sure coffee spilled on weenie does that either.

22. West Syd

West Syd New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    G'day guys. I'm an Aussie who has just chosen San Jose as my team in MLS. I was contemplating for a while which team to follow and eventually went for San Jose. MLS is relatively well known here in Oz. LA Galaxy has toured here twice (with Beckham), so they would be the most well known team. San Jose Earthquakes is known amongst people who follow soccer closely, but perhaps not by the average sports fan.

Anyway I think you guys can sell yourselves a lot more as a team to follow. I mean I decided to follow you. People don't always go for the bigger clubs in a league. As long as your support is loyal and passionate people will admire something about the club. Also market your region. San Jose (and especially San Francisco/California) is known all around the world!

I hope you guys can let me know more about your team. What is your squad? Who are your best players? etc Anyway I will try to keep in touch in this as often as possible.

Cheers from Downunder

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome aboard! :)

-G

24. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome. I hope reading this board on a regular basis won't sway you from your choice!

25. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome. We're a pretty talkative community here on BigSoccer so you will get to know the team pretty quickly. If you read the match reports and training reports from Robert Jonas at Center Line Soccer, they are often pretty detailed and thus very helpful when it comes to getting to know players. Bobby Convey and Chris Wondolowski were our best players last year--Wondo was the golden boot winner of the league and Convey was our most consistent.

I think most people here root for the A-league to get over the hump and get enough teams doing well to survive and thrive. It seems to be having the same growing pains that MLS has although with perhaps even more challenges given how much of the population is in just a few cities. Some of us watch the A-League on FSC each week. We know what "The Cove" means. We also know exactly what it's like to lose a player brought in to make a difference to a bad, injury-racked season. The player I considered the face of Sydney FC retired and became a coach, I think....the Quakes tend to do that sort of thing. A former player is our GM and we just hired another to coach in the academy.

It seems that MLS sold it's international broadcast rights which is good on balance for exposure to the league. But it would seem bad for people such as yourself that would like to see all the games of a single team given that the online soccer package is thus blacked out outside the US (kinda like the ABC is for me!). But I guess there are internet work arounds for region blocks...so hopefully you'll be able to watch games and join in the post-game discussions.

Oh, we and don't really care for the Galaxy much at all. Feel free to loathe them. I suspect it's very like Sydney and the Victory. Even if there is another team in Melbourne now for the Victory have a rivalry with, and they will and the media will hype Hearts v Victory (like they did with the 2 LA teams Chivas USA and Galaxy) nothing will likely dampen Sydney's dislike of the Victory. And that's how we feel about the Galaxy.

Again, welcome!