This year's marketing campaign 2011

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by futbol monkey, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so far last year ad were the best over the last three years (including this one) No only they were "expect the unexpected" type of commercial but also they used to show part of whats going on in the stadium...they were very inviting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGxsr9PcSE"]YouTube - San Jose Earthquakes 2010 Commercial[/ame]

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CP, I meant to respond to this earlier, but I've been really busy.

I thought the spilled coffee ad was horrific, bordering on abusive. So clearly, you and I are a different demographic. I'm glad that someone liked it, but I was not among that number.

This is so. If they use the ads that we were looking at on the web (Facebook, on the Quakes site, and so on) then I think that's just fine. Heck, they could e-mail these things to STH's.

Do we even know if these are finished ads? They could just as easily add crowd footage to each at the end.

Notice that they end with: Become a fan on Facebook. I think these are targeted for internet use.

Also, there's no comment that says: "We faced all kinds of adversity last season." Which ought to be part of this campaign. There's a chance that they are still trying these out.

OK. I'm not sure what brings in new fans. I'd try to sell the in-stadium experience, as I think most of us would.

Maybe, maybe not. But what does spilled coffee scalding the crap out of some poor guy have to do with soccer? or the Earthquakes?

So what do you suggest? Footage of Ampai playing in the College Cup? A shot of Khari serving that sweet assist to Wondo? Convey burying goals against the RedCows? Ike scoring on a header? Bushy making a killer save? And then some sort of: Back and better than last season tag?

JD hanging himself?

Maybe images of better toilets at BuckShaw and shots of people drinking suds in their seats?

I'm all for constructive criticism, and I've been plenty critical of the organization. I just thought that this crop of ads were better than last season's. You're welcome to think otherwise.

I do agree that these ads could be even better. I do agree that the Quakes have missed a ton of marketing opportunities.

GO QUAKES!! :D

- Mark

"We have the Marxist-Leninist weapon of criticism and self-criticism. We can get rid of a bad style and keep the good." Chairman Mao Tse Tung ;)

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, last year's were better IMO. I don't care for the sadistic aspect of them, but the "richter scale" thing ties it into game clips with goals and Shrader calls, etc.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kept on wondering what kind of anti-burn cream he was going to use on his nuts.

5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From his accent, he was an authentic EPL fan.

But...the area is full of Eurosnobs. We've all run into them. They are passionate about their clubs. Sure, some of them are more into snobbery than soccer, and maybe they're lost to us. But...I'll bet we could convert a percentage of them. Not with these ads, though.

I agree that the ads are better. A huge improvement over spilled coffee (but maybe I've just had too much coffee spilled on me.) As I said before, with a few tweaks they would be much better.

How about running an advertisement contest? I'll bet we could come up with great ads!

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    That's a great idea. Free advertising, tap into the creativity of the passionate fanbase, more stuff on youtube, send them to your friends, all that kind of stuff.

Come to think of it, if I had to guess I'd say that this year's ads (featuring players and minimal props, etc.) were homegrown and last year's (with actors and "sets", etc.) were contracted out.

7. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Let's go to the heart of the discussion. "This years MARKETING campaign". The operative word being "Marketing."

Effective marketing has nothing to do with whether you like an ad or think it's "horrific". Effective marketing is whether or not your campaign leaves the target audience with your name or brand in their memory. It doesn't even have to be a positive memory, just a memory that cements your brand.

An example of this is perhaps one of the most vile, dismissed and offensive ad campaigns ever, yet also one of the most effective;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XghJuH6GSCo"] Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion, Upset Stomach, Diarrhea...Yay Pepto-Bismol![/ame]

There's not a person alive whose seen that ad or one of it's versions and not retreated in revulsion, and yet that ad is probably responsible for more sales of Pepto Bismol than any other ad campaign.

The average non Pepto using consumer who suddenly finds themselves beset by cramps nausea, diarrhea and any other kind of gastric problems, is many times more likely to now go out and buy some Pepto than some other product. It's just a fact, like it or not.

Marketing is about leaving your audience with an image of your brand and the most effective way to do that is with surprise. Whether the surprise is humor, shock or disgust, is just a matter of degree.

The spilled Coffee ad from last year, as well as many of last years TV ads did exactly what they were supposed to do, leave a brand in the viewers memory. This years ads are for the most part completely devoid of this brand memory.

Whether an audience likes or dislikes a particular ad has very little to do with whether or not the ad is successful in leaving a brand memory which is after all the point of any marketing campaign.

Maybe you see this years ads and think you get a good "brand memory" from them. My guess is that no one outside of the core San Jose Earthquakes fan base would get any such "brand memory" from these ads and they are thus not likely to be very effective.

You are probably correct as this years ads do not appear to be the product of a marketing professional.

My guess is that more people in general and on this board in particular could describe in detail last years "Coffee spill" after not seeing it for over a year, than could describe either the "Pinata" or "dunked" add after just viewing it.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So, in other words, to sell more seats, next year's Quakes marketing campaign should involve a fan sitting pants down in one of the Buck Shaw porta-potties while it is being shaken by a 7.1 tumbler. "Did you feel that?" (I'll leave the rest of the scene to the reader's imagination.)

Humor. check.

Shock. check.

Disgust. check.

That would pretty much cement the Quakes brand. Yup.

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For corporate advertising, this may be true. However, marketing campaigns (and ads, as a tool of those campaigns) can have different objectives. Good advertising should help define and position the brand. We could debate the actual product to be promoted through the ads (the game itself? the fan experience?) as that depends on the campaign strategy. However, when the ad ends, the viewer should have no question about the nature of the product (except for feel-good corporate ads).

An antacid ad is effective if it lets the viewer know that the medication does (how the ad chooses to present that information is a different issue). If the antacid ad showed someone with a stomach ache hitting a pinata, we'd all say "huh?"

So what is the takeaway from any of these ads? "Like" or "not like" is not as relevant as the lingering message. I wonder how much thought was given to the takeaway. Or whether the ads resulted from a bunch of guys sitting around and saying "wouldn't it be funny if..."

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The dream of many youth players is to become a professional player. I think a great ad would to get youth video of Wondolowski scoring goals and then flip to Wondo scoring as a Quake..............then they show a video of other little kids running around screaming and carrying on, and then cut to the Ultras in all their glory.

The tag line could be something like:

"The San Jose Earthquakes, fulfill your dreams"

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You're hired.

12. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda like this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZGsyoJ8nEo"]YouTube - "Where's Salinas?"[/ame]

13. Turcs

Turcs Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Wake Forest, NC
    Anybody have the link to the Landon pinata highlight on YouTube? Thanks...

Mike

14. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this one Don. The Wondo family must have some youth footage where you can hear or see Chris's family cheering for him when he scored a goal. Show that, then cut to footage of Chris scoring at Buck Shaw and running over to where his family is cheering from their seats in the Corona Cove.

"Chris Wondolowski and the San Jose Earthquakes, still a family affair".

Or something like that.

17. Turcs

Turcs Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Wake Forest, NC
  18. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Your suggested scene, actually would be very funny. To see someone sitting on the pot during an Earthquake. Schadenfreude, we all, well, most of us, understand the concept.

But none of us would want to be that person sitting on the pot. Your idea has merit, but lacks any sense of the degree to which it leaves it's audience in a negative frame of mind toward the brand. So stick to your profession and leave the marketing to people who understand it.

19. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Exactly. As I said earlier, whether someone "likes" or "dislikes" an ad is relatively unimportant in determining it's success as a marketing tool. The "lingering message", as you framed it, is the "brand memory".

The determiner of a campaigns success is whether or not that "brand memory" will be;

• Recalled by the target audience.

• Leave the "brand" in the viewers memory as a product the viewer needs or could benefit from.
    This seasons ads don't appear to do either. Last seasons ads, though not great, were much better and were obviously done by professionals. They were very successful at leaving the brand (Earthquakes) in the viewers memory. Where they failed was to leave that brand memory as a product the viewer needed or could benefit from.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wasn't "suggesting" the hypothetical ad I described. I was using it as a sarcastic illustration of why your point about shocking or disturbing marketing might not be helpful for the Quakes.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One additional point vis a vis the coffee ad -- even if you thought it was a funny ad (stuck in your mind in a positive way), if you were not a soccer fan, would you have remembered what the ad was for? We can probably all think of terrific ads that have zero connection to the product. Unless your tv budget is so generous that you can hammer away at your concept until people make the association, that ad is a waste of money.

22. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    these ads weren't done by professionals? the Quakes just went out and rented a couple super slo-mo high definition cameras?

23. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Slo motion is easy -- you just adjust the frame speed in the editing phase. No special cameras needed. I've seen work of that quality (and better) done by teenagers. These days, you don't have to have a lot of expensive equipment and you can rent what you do need from camera shops.

I'm not saying that's what the FO did, but this crop of ads looks very homegrown to me. Cute but not much polish.

24. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that we could find out easily, but I'd be willing to bet those ads were shot with some pretty expensive cameras.

The ads were also made by the same firm as last year. SF based, so...yes on the homegrown part. I guess.

http://sa5-sf.com/

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked last year's ads better - because they included some in-game excitement. But this year's ads are good. Psrticularly the dunking one.