This year's marketing campaign 2011

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by futbol monkey, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, the second Convey dunked the VuvuGalactodork there should have been an instant cut away to real game footage of the Ultras exploding in reaction to a goal, with confetti flying, etc. The contrast between a an empty, quiet Buck Shaw, to the loud passion of a real game would look great.

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, these ads are a bazillion times better than season's very lame efforts.

That said ...

You always need to market to your core fans, clients, customers, whatever. Always, always, always. Yes, we also need to market to new fans, and I think that actual game footage showing great goals, saves by us, and lots of screaming howling fans would be effective in this regard.

Still, we must, must, must continue to market to "The Base."

And you have marketing studies showing this?

Give sports fans a little more credit. The Bushy saves don't need any translation. The Evil Pinata works even if you don't know the story behind it. Same with Convey dunking the galactopustule fan.

But I still think that actual game footage and screaming fans might be better.

Maybe they are trying to keep existing fans? Rather than have them give up their season tickets?

I get depressed whenever I see posters here carry on about how much they dislike Wolff and EQSLLC. These are the owners that we have. We need to work with them.

Yes. But these other ads aren't bad. Also, do we know if these are going on TV? or are they just for the net?

The Portland Timbers have marketed the Timbers Army in a major way for years and they draw pretty significant crowds.

Also, marketing to drunken 20 and 30 something years olds is more cost effective. Little kids and their parents don't buy beer, certainly not three or four per person.

Still, this current set of ads are hugely better than last season's. Step in the right direction folks.

GO QUAKES!!!! :D

- Mark

3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    To approach this from a sort of different direction. Someone in the marketing organization should have a list of target segments (not including current fans/STH). We can all come up with a list without thinking too hard:

* Fans of other non-US leagues
    * Recreational soccer players
    * Parents of kids who play soccer (the dreaded soccer moms)
    * Young adults who want an excuse to get wasted and act crazy

Etc.

So. Which of these ads is likely to appeal to the first group? Number 4, the one we haven't seen yet? There's one ad with a kid in it -- maybe that's supposed to grab the AYSO/CY families? No, I don't think so. You don't need to know the pinata story to watch the pinata ad, but really, what is particularly clever, skillful, or amusing about a soccer player kicking a pinata hard? I get that the ads are trying to be funny, but they largely miss the mark there, and I still say that none of these ads is going to motivate someone to say "gee, that looks fun/exciting/worthwhile -- maybe I'll check out a game."

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young adults are one of the strengths of MLS and should definitely be an important marketing target. 37.8% of MLS fans are age 18-35, higher than any other professional sports league in the USA (source: SBJ in June 2010: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...mong-Major-North-American-Sports-Leagues.aspx)

It's also a reason why Lew shouldn't give up on his investment - he has "bought low" on a growth industry and all he has to do now is hang on while the value keeps rising.

My personal opinion is the Convey/dunk add is brilliant and the others aren't bad. I definitely am looking forward to them adding in some clips of live game action and the crowd going crazy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think they should do some adds that show the Quakes history like the NHL "history will be made" TV spots from last year (sample one with wayne gretzky: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMVgbHa0Fd0"]YouTube - History Will Be Made - Wayne Gretzky[/ame]). So maybe some clips of George Best, Wynalda scoring the first goal in MLS history, the 2001 cup run, the 2003 cup run, the 2010 upset in NY, etc.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Marketing to hedonistic 20-30 year-olds is marketing to nearly everyone. Little kids have aspirations and old-timers (like you and me) wistfully seek to recapture the glory days. That's why, as you say, it's cost effective.

6. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nice commercials, especially the Convey one. Even if people have no idea what the "Galaxy" is, they know vuvuzelas are annoying. There are multiple levels of disdain there for both new fans and current fans to appreciate.

Very...modern overall. Simple, kinda random, amusing. Excellent choice in music too. No crappy hip hop or rock. Oh, and beautiful quality.

7. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do the Quakes use a fan focus group to test commercials on? Perhaps one that has a variety of demographics in it? If they don't, they might consider it, perhaps with signed nondisclosure agreements.

For example, as I already posted, the Convey "dunk" ad was my favorite and I thought it a good ad (though when I saw it I thought an LA Galaxy shirt instead of a Galaxy shirt would appeal to a wider audience in terms of the rivalry since it extends to sports like baseball as well). However, seeing Don's mention of the Ultras, and then reading Earthshaker's riff on that to immediately cut away to cheering fans, made me think that that could improve it.

Maybe it would not be an improvement, but in any case more eyes and opinions might be helpful to whatever final product the marketing people decide to use. If they DO already have a focus group in place we must assume that the EQ are satisfied these 3 ads do the job the EQ want them to do.

8. BroncoQuake

BroncoQuake Member

Oct 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Edwin and Wayne,

Looks like you're having a bit too much fun with our experimental video during Corporate Sales training in Baltimore. Many executives are looking over emails these days and look for innovated pieces like videos. Would you honestly rather read another email or push play on YouTube?

We also work a la carte for most of our programming, whether youth soccer or corporate based, to best identify the best tools we can provide to help grow their business, keep their people happy, and reward those who deserve it most. The video was just to encourage dialogue and apparently it worked.

I've lost weight this off-season to be honest with ya'll (bad camera angle). I'm looking forward to all of our fans being in shape (at least cheering shape for opening day).

Cheers,

Anthony Perry
    Senior Account Manager
    San Jose Earthquakes

P.S. Let me know how I can give you the tools needed to share your Quakes passion and make your business more profitable or team chemistry better

9. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AP,
    Don't take it personal ...it's all fun, after all, this is bigsoccer ! :D :D

Just a little note: when a choose Proud Smurf as my user ID, I used to visit the Galaxshit forum and a lot of the posters on that forum make fun of me or my user ID,you know what? I didn't care !... is all fun after all, this is bigsoccer.

10. TheCityQuake

TheCityQuake Member

May 2, 2008
    New York, New York
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like many here, I absolutely enjoyed watching Convey dunk a Galaxy fan. However I'm hesitant to get behind these commercials since I'm not quite sure what the overall point is. Are these commercials trying to fire up the core fan base? Are they hoping to reach the casual sports fan? Or are these commercials aimed to raise awareness? In my opinion, none of them would pass the "water cooler test" where you would want to discuss them with other people.

Furthermore, while somewhat unique, I can't help but feel like these are just like those cheap A's commercials I used to see. Those commercials tried to be funny but always fell flat with me. As much as I want to see these new quakes commercials succeed, I can't help but feel ho hum about them.

I still love the new Timbers commercial and think it is a wonderful example of getting core soccer fans excited.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjlc-eVlKeE"]YouTube - No Pity in the Rose City: Spring 2011[/ame]

11. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminded me a bit of the King's Speech.

And don't forget the outtakes.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-X-p4zK-Q&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Bloopers[/ame]

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tactical error to give people the same script and expect them to memorize it and to recite it with the appropriate level of energy and passion.

The Timbers ad is good. There are some great soccer ads out there. Just not ours. (And I hope they are not targeted to current fans because given the cost of tv ads, that would be a colossal misuse of advertising dollars!)

13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ^

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Anthony.

15. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just friendly ribbing. I hope he doesn't take offense.

I like YouTube marketing and the team should do more of it. Anthony should just grab a camera and walk around the office interview the FO people (players too). Let us know what they're up to and we can put faces to names.

This kind of stuff is cheap and easy and goes along way toward building a community.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Anyone notice that there's not a single pro soccer player (unless masquerading as a lumberjack) seen in the entire Timbers commercial? And, but for a brief flash of a soccer ball toward the end, there's nary a nod to the sport itself.

But local soccer fans, and their edgy passion, are sold throughout. It's the fans that make MLS. We're an integral part of the team. MLS may not be the best league in America, but MLS fans have as much or more fun than anyone. That is the message that the Timbers ad screams, without having to say so in words.

Just like the Sharks proved you don't need ice to sell hockey in California, you don't need the beautiful game to sell soccer in America.

17. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're selling the experience and the franchise rather than the team. Not a bad thing though, considering how many times teams make commercials with players that quickly become dated if the player leaves the team.

18. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    That's why trying to sell the Quakes at Porta Potty Field is an exercise in futility. I for one have stopped taking adult newbies to the games after getting some interesting reactions.

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We were getting coffee in Calistoga, dressed in various Earthquakes gear, and the barista had to tell us about attending the Tottenham game. Seven months later, he was still furious that he had paid $35 to sit in a "cow pasture." So I hope part of the marketing budget is going to address the game day experience -- getting people to the game is only the first challenge. If we are going to be at PP field for 2 more years, then at least consider installing a better sound system and dressing the place up a little.

20. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually last years ads though not great were kind of funny. The spilled coffee ad was brilliant and probably got more non Earthquake/non Soccer fans interest piqued than any of the new ads will.

The most expensive form of marketing is television. It can also be the most effective if done right. While you do need to market to your core fans, clients, customers, you don't use the most budget busting way to do so,

never, never, never.

The core base fan can be marketed to in many cost effective ways not involving TV. Again, these ads are going do do nothing or very little to attract the non Earthquake or non Soccer fan and those are the people you should be targeting with your most expensive and largest reaching marketing tools.

No I don't have marketing studies about these particular ads, I have enough common sense and a lifetime of experience to know these ads will be relatively ineffective in bringing in any new fan base.

You're seeing these ads through the blue colored lenses of an Earthquake fan. A non Soccer/non Earthquake sports fan will look at the Pinata ad and the dunked an in utter confusion.

This is of course a possibility. So ask yourself, if I were a wavering season ticket holder would these ads make me more inclined to renew? An honest answer would be "'NO" these ads don't address any of the issues that have me wavering.

"working with them" does not translate to, kissing their butts and salivating over everything the offer up. Working with them sometimes means tough love and constructive criticism.

2 people repped this.
  21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think they all pass the water cooler test. Your mileage may vary.

I agree completely. Of course, the spots that we are talking about might be web-only. We don't know yet.

The ad with Anthony isn't for general consumption. I'm not sure why we got to see it at all.

Yes. Plenty of multi-channel marketing is the ticket. Some ideas are inexpensive, some not. The Quakes should be working all of these, as discussed on this forum many, many times.

It's the Club!!

Yes, the fans are the best part of MLS and every team should be selling the experience of going to the matches.

Right you are, and this has been working in the Rose City. And Seattle, Toronto, SaltLick, even Houston.

Yes, The Quakes could have and should have done a better job of sprucing up Buck Shaw. It's not water under the bridge yet either. Some investment in making the place better would go a long was toward retaining current fans and winning new ones.

Can't wait for the new stadium!!! :D

GO QUAKES!!! :D

- Mark

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could think of a better description than "cow pasture", since that usually refers to the condition of the playing surface, which even Tottenham marveled at how nice it was.

But, I agree, the condition of Buck Shaw doesn't help in the repeat customer business. Like they say, sometime you only have one chance to make a good impression.

23. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the barista is a Eurosnob who's actually never been in a cow pasture.

24. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moreover, he is trivializing the hardships that people who play in true cow pastures have to undergo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree that last years ads where funny and at least caught your attention...

Additionally, winning and a great game day experience (stadium, environment, etc.) will bring people.