This year's marketing campaign 2011

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by futbol monkey, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm actually agreeing that showing the ad in traditional media as general marketing would probably be a good idea. But I think its value is more in building awareness than in direct sales. What you describe in your story is more about direct marketing or "word of mouth" than general marketing, although you are using something that could be used in general marketing to assist with your "sale".

As I mentioned, "there are many ways in which general marketing can work". What you've described is the case where the general marketing actually inspires an existing super fan to go out to do some direct marketing via word of mouth and to actually use the general marketing instrument to assist with the sale.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes. :)

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think we can get too bogged down with analysis.

These youtube ads are creative and hip and inspiring. Disseminate them anyway possible.

The "Earthquakes vs." ads are corny, contrived, stale and uninspiring. Ditch them.

4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Seems like it. But I'd have to look at the data. :)

5. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We NEED to build awareness! Badly...and building awareness DOES translate into direct sales.

I do not need to be educated on what direct marketing or word of mouth marketing is. You completely missed the point. The point was that it created someone to feel something. It showed them the passion behind Quakes soccer, and they wanted to experience that. If you market it to the masses you will likely inspire some people to purchase tickets, while at the same time create awareness.

Yes...I KNOW THIS! But it also showed that it inspired a non-soccer person to want to come experience Quakes soccer. I do not need for you to describe to me what just happened in my office. I know that in this case it inspired a fan to do some direct marketing. DUH! What you are missing is the fact that if show to the masses you are likely to generate some additional ticket sales because it is young and hip, while also creating general awareness among that crowd. Hiding in cyberspace does not accomplish that unless they are in your "channel" to market to.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't think we are disagreeing on that point and we are now just kind of talking in circles, modulo some subtleties about how much value the ad has as awareness building vs. direct sales and how awareness can translate into direct sales in various ways, etc.

7. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tony and Don are right about this.
    Maybe this was already mentioned and I missed it, but Don has also pointed out in the past that using the Supporters Groups as a marketing tool is very powerful and I think this video demonstrates that. People will want to come and participate in the Supporter Culture, or at least be there to witness it.

8. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, this is what separates soccer from football, baseball, hockey, etc...

9. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% Correct...nobody shows their passion more than the supporters groups. And this gets even the non-believer wanting to experience the passion.

As I said in my previous post...a couple of years ago the 49ers had a great TV campaign, and it made me seriously consider going to a game...and I'm a Cowboy's fan! So, this stuff does work, and the Supporters Groups, combined with the type of footage they show, is exactly what needs to be out there...on full rotation.

10. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Use the best of what you got, and right now, it ain't the product on the field or the home stadium.

11. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "but hell, let's put it to a vote"

Which one of them said "I'm with you guys" ;)

12. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This may not be the right thread, but I was in the Quakes office today and they have just put on sale a small EQ "garden gnome" for $20 ( -20% off for STH). It caught my eye and for some reason my fancy, so I thought I'd mention it. With the Travelocity commercials on TV right now this seemed like a clever gift idea.

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother has had a Raiders one, same exact form(except for the ball I guess), for a couple of years now. You'll be able to find nearly any American sports team as that gnome. Looks like they finally got around to making MLS versions.

[​IMG]

By they way, did you tell them to fire Yallop and Doyle while you were there?

14. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Which proves I don't get out much, and spend too much time on BigSoccer! :^)

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    What I want to know is, can this guy play attacking midfielder? And how do we know he is really for sale, and is not going to be on the pitch starting the match for the Quakes, their first DG, Designated Gnome, Doyle's latest Gjem, Gjoey Gnomertsen.

16. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Papa Smurf been drinkin', ever since he saw the reviews for the movie:(.

17. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was in an episode of Psych a couple nights ago. Someone mentioned it in the OT threads... here is a photo of it. Was this a marketing effort or is there a Quakes fan who works in showbiz?

[​IMG]

18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa. :cool: That's pretty neat, I wonder if they filmed that in the Bay Area or some other place? If that's up somewhere in Hollywood or LA that would be quite amusing!

19. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes FO should hire whoever made this commercial for Stanford soccer.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTZdTcSlXkk"]Stanford Men's Soccer commercial - The Wall - YouTube[/ame]

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes, even with an up-close opportunity, it's hard to score.

22. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    one thing is for sure, they stopped the "did you feel that?" marketing on the sjearthquakes website.

23. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel like shit after another losing season? Yeah, we feel that. Again.

24. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ah, 2011. It was a good year, some might even call it a great year. No, scratch that. 2011 sucked, but it's over, and so is this thread. Feel free to carry on with...Marketing 2012, or whatever you want to call it.