This is what I think is wrong.

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Nov 14, 2012.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a youth academy, not necessarily the given club. How many of Wigna's players came up through the Wigan youth set up?

There are more teams than you think that don't have an academy. Hardly any Polish clubs have academies. They have youth set ups, but actual academies? No.

2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The Academy of Football" doesn't seem to be representing the golden ideal that all on here are touting.

"Profit" I don't think is the right word, especially if you're talking strictly about money. The teams with the best academies in football aren't profitable.

3. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Let us not worry about academies or lower divisions in other countries, or how they run there leagues with pro/rel. Let us write on what were doing in America. We talk about academies in the MLS? Garber said, the MLS pumped $20 million into development and are continuously looking into way's to improving the development of the American player. Even taking into consideration of having a youth stipulation in the starting line ups of MLS games. At the same time, he announced that the MLS is not interested in pro/rel.
    So what does the $20 million get the MLS and it's youth development?
    The MLS commissioner really seemed to be at a loss for words at halftime.
    So in 2013, is the MLS going to throw in $25 or $30 million into youth development?
    Who and what is the MLS developing for?
    At the moment, the beneficiaries of all this MLS money are the NCAA soccer programs.
    At the same time you have a second division who's clubs are struggling to keep it's doors open and the Commissioner of the First Division has little interest in working with them.

4. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh hell no. Go die in a fire.

You want to flip the script ? Act like you weren't the one doing this ? GTFO. No nonononononononononononono NO.

WE have done nothing but talk about how we do things in America, and how stuff works here. YOU'VE DONE NOTHING BUT SHIT ON IT. No you want to just try and slide in with this ? Again, the fire ... go die in it.

I'd love to see you explain that part about the MLS money benefiting the NCAA programs.

Why would the Commissioner of the MLS be worried about working/fixing/etc a league he's not involved with ? They have people for that, they should be doing their jobs and not him.

5. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    You need to go and see a doctor. You are very sick. Do your parents know how sick you are? Officially on ignore.

6. StyleAndRhythm

Nov 27, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Dude take a break or something. Go catch a breather and don't take forums so seriously. Were just discussing how we want a league to act because we think this idea is better long term. Seriously man if you're thinking of this outside of the forum take a step back to clear your head.

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF ?

Oh right, the DCU1996 defense ....

.... sorry doesn't work for him, WhiteStar, Tinfoil Teddy, PC4th, cdskou, or you.

I don't give a blue hell about you, or any other poster on this forum any longer than it takes to type responses to discussions on here ... some of you, I don't even think about that long.

8. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    maybe you should stay out of this thread if you get so angry that you resort to advocating violence.

9. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then why are you following me now ?

Failest of Fails.

LOL, angry. Kids are funny.

You should stay out of this thread if you can't grasp simple concepts .... but that isn't stopping you now is it ?

10. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I counted 3 Wigan players Watson, McManaman, Pollitt. Five if you include players out on loan (Nichols, Mustoe)

You ask an interesting question. Are youth academies worth it?

Prior to the EuroZone, which removed the foreign player cap from the EPL I would bet a lot more players from youth academies made it to the senior club. Now there's just more competition.

But still, since all the top leagues have youth academies there must be a reason. They must think they are worth the money or they wouldn't still have them. Academies are certainly worth it for lower division clubs. If you look at the rosters of EPL clubs a lot of players start off at lower division academies.

11. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder how many millions Santos spent to develop Pele...

There are thousands of kids out there, all you need is 2nd and third division team to provide with facilities and opportunities for them to grow their capabilities.

As Americans, you only think of spending millions and getting back more millions, that's the last time it should be in our minds for now.

To think you need millions to create Pele's or Maradona's is just dumb.

Pele's and Maradona's created themselves playing everyday, their academies didn't spend millions on them, all they did was give them a field to play and not charging them for playing the game they loved.

Second and third division need to help with development, they don't need 1 million dollar facilities, not yet, all they need to have is a longer season and to come up with a way to help local talent.

That's like saying you need a Ferrari to be a great racer, not dummy, all you need is any type of car that can move, it will be nice to learn on a Ferrari but if you cant afford it, you cant, is that simple, train with what you have.

Stop trying to act like only million dollar facilities will create Ronaldinho's...

Yes companies will def sponsor different youth programs on second and third division teams for publicity, because they can get taxes back or for many other reasons.

That idea that we need to spend 3 million in kids so we can get 10 millions back is the dumbest thing I have heard in a while, you can event field a descent player at Atletico de Madrid yet.

Affordable quality coaching is the answer for now, longer and stronger 2nd and 3rd division, once those Joe Coronas and Hugo Perez become superstars at Real Madrid, they will come back and build 3 million facilities in Nebraska for the kids that will never have an opportunity to have an mls academy in their towns.

College Soccer would have been a complete waste of time for players such as Ronaldo or Messi.

12. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shockingly, you completely missed the point.

13. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    no I did not.

You don't need to get 2 million dollar facilities to create Ronaldinhos, College Soccer have nothing to do with developing great talent either.

Is MLS, NSAL, and USL the direct responsible for giving the opportunities to local talent, for facilitating their way to the top, of course High School and College could help a little, but at the end of the day, is def the leagues itself that have to make hustle, is their job.

Think of a team such as the Arizona Lobos on third division, finds a new Zidane, the dude goes to Borrusia Dormund and wins a Champions Leagues, becomes top 3 player in the world making millions, you don't think that kid is gone give back to the 3rd division team that helped him?

There is always local businesses willing to sponsor for publicity or tax return, or many other reasons, so stop acting like Coca Cola have to give 1 million so they can get 3 millions back in a year, no, to think like that is really dumb.

Charlotte Railhawks cant afford 2 million dollar facilities for the kids? Who cares, I don't think Santos or Sao Paolo have 2 million facilities for the kids either, they use what they have and they make sure the best coaches in the country train Neymar without charging him...

14. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Every pro club should have a youth academy to groom young players. The MLS has done a good job implementing this program. The problem persists after the players have turned 18 where do they continue there careers professionally here in the USA. I am not talking about Europe or anywhere else, here in the USA. If one or two players get signed by the MLS first team that is great. What happens to the rest? The NASL or the USL do not have the financial means to scout or sign MLS academy players. Simply, the NASL or USL clubs do not have the financial means to sign good young players. It is a problem, a big problem.
    So after all the training and youth games that these young players play, for the majority what is there outlet in the USA to play professional soccer? Unfortunately, there is none because the second and third division teams are basically broke do to being very poor. This is a issue that the USSF and MLS must recognize even though at the moment they are turning there backs on the situation.
    NCAA soccer coaches love it. They go and pick up good young players for free, and as long as the player has the grades. The NCAA soccer coach can basically offer a much better deal offering a limited scholarship and financial AID through the University system. Soccer scholarships are very limited and small. It is the financial aid that attracts these young players. The down side is that it is a 120 day season at the most crucial age of a soccer players career.

To conclude, due to the lack of a pro/rel pyramid where clubs can BUY, SELL or TRADE the Second and third Division clubs remain poor. We can even talk about the PDL clubs and the NPSL clubs. With out commerce being available to these clubs the lower leagues will continue to barely survive or fold.

15. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    finally somebody who gets it.

MLS Academies create descent player and then what?

MLS Owners want to win games, so they bring better foreign players, what do MLS Academy players do?

Go waste their time in college soccer or just get their education.

It will be a different deal if the second and third division were stronger, so these Academy players had real options instead of wasting their talent in college soccer.

Unless you want to be a great player at age 28, college soccer is a complete waste of time for young elite players.

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Lets get to the point. You and cdskou believe that US Soccer and MLS should and are able to support lower league soccer to the extent that they could create academies to develop younger players?

17. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh.

Nobody said anything about building a facility. We were discussing investing that money in developing PLAYERS. You just decided that it meant building a training center. That's not what people meant.

And, yet again, they have to have the money to be able to devote time to grooming young players. Right now, the teams don't have the type of money to fully invest in a youth set up.

But how are his abs?

No there aren't. I worked for a minor league team. The team went bankrupt because there weren't enough local businesses willing to sponsor the team.

I'm not sure if you mean the Charlotte Eagles or the Carolina Railhawks. And despite what you think, both Santos and Sao Paulo have fantastic facilities for their youth teams. That, combined with their coaches, allow them to successfully train youngsters.

18. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why are second and third division clubs around the world still poor? Selling players sure isn't helping them.

19. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tijuana just won the Mexican league, why are you assuming all d2 teams are poor?, the Mexican league is one of the best in the world.

20. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    what minor league team did you work for?

are you 99% sure they will go bankrupt if they try to develop young talent? who are you, plato?

my abs are great, thanks.

21. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I believe we (American soccer community) need to work together with the 3 lower division to help them to get bigger and better.

By any mean, you should start by investing on a second division team jersey from your local town instead of having 4 Wayne Rooney jerseys.

22. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleveland City Stars.

No, but the team didn't have the money to devote to developing youngsters. Minor league teams barely have enough money to stay operating.

I asked about the Zidane waiting in Arizona for a 4th division team to find him.

23. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    so because 1 team failed, that means all lower division soccer teams in America will?

no wonder why they failed, they had you working for them :p

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I tend to agree but even if it happened it would make little difference. Someone changing from watching MU on tv to looking for a stream of a lower division team is going to do little to change the prospects of those teams.

25. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    my old roommate in college was American, he had about $1,000 worth of manU merchandise, yep didn't know anything about mls or his small town usl team or his local college soccer team.

what a stud :eek: