This is Hazardous - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Eddie26, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    thinks Moses and Cesar would be excellent additions and as for the third addition- I feel similar to you

I just dont see a Hulk or Cavani (yet) much to the chagrin of a few members here, but think that perhaps we could find a good talent to provide cover. I suspect Moses will be used their if neeed and I do rate Bamford- although I think he has a way to go yet so perhaps a short term fill in squad player would be a useful addition considering the amount of fixtures this season.

2. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    lol tongue in cheek dude

3. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Hmm... A couple of league substitute appearences, the first of which he got rave reviews, a start in a IIRC meaningless match vs APOEL... a few appearences on the wing where he's never impressed...not really a great chance. He left for a rather disappointing loan soon after.

We were looking for a pacy, creative player and he could've offered that, I find it hard to call that a proper chance

4. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I dont think that's giving J. Cole enough credit - i remember him being an excellent link up player and crosser of the ball...I dont think Kakuta will ever play up to his level.

J.Cole "Top 10 Goals". -

Eddie26 repped this.
  5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Cole was not a good crosser of the ball or a particularly good link up player (which he didn't need to be in our system under Jose). He was at his best for us one the wing where he could use his pace and energy to press defenders. He has always notoriously failed when playing in the center, because he doesn't have the football brains for it.
    The goal compilation you linked is actually great proof of that - half of the goals on it are from positions where he has better placed players screaming for the ball but often takes a difficult shot instead. For Mourinho's 4-3-3 he was very good, but he never did develop much in the way of a footballing brain, sadly.

6. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    1) I certainly dont think he had the brains or talent to play through the middle, and as you say, he was best when on the wings running at player.

2) What decent/great goal scorers DONT take the difficult shot when other players are screaming for the ball. Thats just football.

Anyway. Transfer thread, not the place.

Balls of Fire repped this.
  7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Right - Cole always looked to score himself first, which, given that he wasn't a striker, indicates how little he saw the rest of the pitch :)

Anyway, agree, let's move on.

8. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Yeah, goalscoring instincts are terrible.

9. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    RVP deal official, fee between 22-24m Euros, I think MU got a great deal, considering we paid 18m Euros for Lukaku who in an interview today moaned like a child wondering why he only played in 12 games last term. If Nando wasn't so insecure I would have loved to nab RVP for that price, 2-3 good years of him and it would be worth it. I think he will make united a much stronger side.

10. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    lol comparing those two lol

chief232 repped this.
  11. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We'll see how many he games he gets in. He's been a bit injury prone over the years. Also, Fergie isn't Wenger in any way.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    For a striker, they're obviously great. We saw what happens when someone with good goal-scoring instincts plays on the wing - he's called Daniel Sturridge. Joe Cole was great at some things, but understanding the game was not one of them. That's why he kept wanting to play centrally and that's why he failed so badly there. Suggesting his goal scoring instincts made up for that is a bit odd, since he scored 41 goals for us in 7 years, and that's in all competitions. That's a good return, no doubt, but hardly great.

RVP is 29 and perpetually injured. Given that we're going with a major youth movement and are relying on Torres as our primary striker, what would have been the point? Meanwhile, United have reinforced the one area of the squad that didn't need reinforcing. They clearly want to win their title back - it's a win now at all costs move. We're not going to win the title this year with all our changes, so paying a lot of money for an aging striker that until last season had never started more than 24 league games in his career and more than 19 only once. RvP will never play that well again. Add to that the consideration that probably other than Ashley Cole no Arsenal player has managed to even equal their Arsenal form at any former club. The list is really long, too, going all the way back to Overmars, Petit, Anelka, Vieira, Henry, Toure, Clichy, Fabregas, Flamini, Hleb, etc. etc.
    As for Lukaku - he needs to be a lot more diplomatic about what he says. But he's basically right - AVB played him on the wing ffs. That was nuts.

The Cold Sea repped this.
  13. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I think it's a poor deal. Van Persie will never equal what he did last season and his value has already started to depreciate. He is also extremely injury-prone and will not be the main focal point as he was at Arsenal week in and week out. Ferguson does have a great track record of getting the best out of players, but this, to me, seems like a desperate signing after missing out on other top targets. Van Persie is also already 29.

Since RVP was never a Chelsea target, this belongs in the other teams thread, but I don't think he would be a good choice for Chelsea.

14. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Beat me to it, basically. Very strange move indeed. It almost feels like SAF simply wanted to keep Van Persie from joining City. United have two great youthful talents in Wellbeck and Chicharito, both of whom I believe recently signed new deals. Their minutes will drop drastically.

15. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Well Berbatov is obviously on the way out and Hernadez was/is a one trick pony that has been figured out. That leaves Rooney who while very good also has injury problems and god knows where you will find him on teh pitch and Welbeck who has the talent still has to a lot to prove at this level. Thats four for a 2 striker system which is just about right. I think he will fit right in with their attacking style/off the ball movement. I dont think we will see the same heights as when they had Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez but barring fitness issues they should score a boatload of goals.

16. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    being pedantic - borini and others trialled with the U18s years ago

17. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Panic! Sign Falcao AND Cavani! Panic!:ROFLMAO:

18. couris

couris Red Card

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Some twitter rumors saying we offered Porto 40M for Hulk....hopefully we keep this 40M and add 10M to get Neymar instead...:geek:

19. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hernandez been found out? Don't think so, he's quick, makes great runs, and finishes chances like a quality poacher. He got off to a slow start due to that concussion and fell behind Welbeck(who had great chemistry with Rooney), but both are talented young strikers who have shown they're starter quality.

Also on Rooney being injury prone, when does he fail to hit the 30 league start plateau?

4 strikers for a 2 striker system isn't perfect when all 4 can and have been regular starters. A perfect system would be 2 clear stars, and 2 role players. Also United play a lot of 433

Just an overkill purchase, why not strengthen an area of need?

20. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    wish i had one of those jackie chan wtf memes right about now

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I agree with your post, although United haven't played much 4-3-3 since Ronaldo left; they may play some 4-2-3-1 though.

22. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    That was a long time ago, at a time when Arnesen used to sign loads of foreign u16s. At a time when out of 10-11 new scholars, at least 50%(and more) were used to be u16s signed for a good amount. A policy that failed miserably.

Compare that to the recent practice, of last 2 years, only 3-4 players or even less signed as new scholars, mostly are from the academy conveyer belt. Open trials days are gone, domestic scouting gets preference(a reason for which Arsenal fans are worried, we're catching them fast, CFC more attractive to young players now than before). All these changes have been in place from, I believe, a time since Michael Emenalo started to influence things.

Would seem a fairly political reasoning but it could well be it, given the situation we see these days.

23. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We aren't going to win the title? How are you already making that assumption. SAF is no slouch of a manager, Rooney is a better 10 than a 9, this season he will have a great season with RVP, obviously RVP will not equal his goal tally as united have more goal scoring players, but he makes united much much stronger. And, RVP has been injured in the past, he is 29 but he has played less games than fernando torres who is younger, if you get 3-4 solid years out of him it would be very very productive. Lukaku waste a huge waste for the price tag. He will end up being sold to a mid table club in a few years for less than 5m.

Chicharito will never come close to being as productive as he was in his first season, I can see him leaving in a few years, RVP was a GREAT pickup, Rooney will thrive behind RVP and in a few years danny may be ready to take over from him.
    Obviously he will not get the same amout of goals because at Arsenal he was the man, at united he will just be their striker on a team that has other players who can score as well. SAF made a great move buying RVP for the price, you cannot get a striker as good as him for less than 45m euros, and RVP is PREM PROVEN which is so huge on this board. RVP had injury problems in the past but over the last 12 months he has been in excellent shape, and his body does not have nearly as much match minutes on it than strikers 2 years younger than him because he missed out on so many games in the past.

I am not comparing Lukaku and RVP play, I am comparing the FEE. 6M more for RVP is a steal, United are a much much stronger side now.

24. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore