This is Hazardous - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Eddie26, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Dage

despite what we think of Gomez (many think he's a weird anomoly, how can a player that contributes so little to overall play, score so much?) we very much welcome the discussion. Gomez has been discussed before over here as an option and it wasn't received as the best option. that doesn't mean we don't welcome you to the board for discussions.

if i had to choose, i would rather have a player that can link up better, but it is hard to argue with his goal scoring record. he's just really hard to predict how he'd do here. overall though, i would prefer and younger up and coming player.

as for our pivot, Khedira would be welcome. and while i really like modric as a player, i think that ship has sailed. for the price he would demand, he's not getting any younger. i'm not sure he's worth breaking the bank for. would welcome Gundogen, if he has a release it would be up to him, but i can't see THAT many players leaving dortmund in one season. he'd be my first choice i think. will be interesting to see how the next manager (jose) uses oscar though. kid has a lot of promise, and can do a job on the wing, but it's clearly not his best position. and Mata is clearly first choice #10 for years to come for this team. let Oscar play deeper and be Mata's backup at #10 when needed. or even better, bring back KDeB and play him on the wing, and be backup #10.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    To be clear, it's not that I "don't like him". But consider this from the perspective of FFP, which punishes short contracts for high priced transfers. Gomez would, at best, give us 2 good years, if he adapts. He's also not good enough at his current club, and even his replacement isn't considered good enough. If we want to challenge for the Champions League for the next decade, buying a 28 year old out of favor with his club at a high price is exactly what you shouldn't do. We already have Torres, and Gomez replicates a lot of the same skills and the same problems. Also, in my opinion, Germany looks a lot better when Klose is playing because his movement and contribution to team play is a lot better. Gomez isn't ideal.

Note, of course - just because I think it's a bad idea (a) doesn't mean it actually is a bad idea, and (b) doesn't mean it won't happen. After all, I'm just a fan posting on a message board :D
    Also, whether or not I agree or disagree, your opinions are welcome, so please don't take this as a message that we don't want you to post.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    We'd also have been a lot higher in the table if we hadn't conceded any goals, too. But that's just a truism.

Miguel Alvarez repped this.
  4. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    That his problem. He is incredibly streaky. His droughts while not in the Torres category can be quite lengthy and the older he gets they will just get worse. No thanks to Gomez

5. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    thats were i stopped

6. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Varane? A CB. Promising and young.

7. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think we have to worry about Gomez coming in. I highly doubt it would happen, the club has been doing very well lately on transfers for the most part except for a few signings (fernando for 50m) so I doubt we would buy a 28 y/o striker who is second fiddle at Bayern but would still require 20+m. Makes no sense at all.

Back to reality, City seem like they will try to get Cavani, and have an edge because Napoli want Dzeko. Madrid are planning on selling Higuain, and since it is an election year Perez will try to make a big money signings. I see Falcao or Lewa going to Madrid, so the options will be limited for world class finishers, the price will be very very steep.

Who do you guys prefer if the cost was the same, Falcao, Cavani, or Lewa?

8. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Varane? Do you really think Madrid would sell a 19 y/o CB who is there best CB?

It's like saying Messi? Ronaldo? Bale?

Varane is a great player and he is only getting better but that would Never happen

9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's true however.

10. PLand1534

PLand1534 Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Meant to post this earlier but got caught up at work.

I saw on one of the rags this morning that if/when Jose makes his return to the Bridge, he will try to hijack Arsenal's bid for Stevan Jovetic. Thoughts on the possibility of another young talented attacker?

JediSoccer repped this.
  11. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Meh. I hear he's crap. Meh.

12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    good point

I think okocha1 has repeatedly discussed the importance of having an effective striker in terms of what it does to the overall shape and tactical approach of the team and how the opponents decide to match up with us and when you have a striker (and I use that term loosely) who is barely drawing much attention from the opposing defence to the point where he is being marked one on one by the opposing side and sometimes by not even their best defender it allows the other team to create a numerical advantage against us and press us further back.

We have all seen the difference and in form striker can make to this team and while he certainly had his share of off days I am sure you can recall several instances where Drogs would draw the attention of 2, 3 and sometimes 4 defenders with his back to goal for crying out loud. For me is not just about the goals and chances which Torres failed to convert it is about his overall impact on the team which was very negligible at times.

As for Ba- I always believed we signed him as cover and I think a little more detailed look into his season may open a few eyes on him.

Swag Flu, eriol and ArmanSLR repped this.
  13. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Exactly Fern, well said

Although we can only speculate, I am sure we all can agree the huge impact it a top quality striker will bring to the squad.

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I definitely think one is needed as it pretty clear to me that Torres is far to erratic to be considered our primary front line striker if we want to the have the success many of us believe is possible.

With that being said- I also believe our midfield needs to be sorted and whether or not that means having the new gaff (Jose) work again with Mikel where we can actually have a positive outlet to help regain possession when we do not have it and provide a simple option instead of lumping it forward (as we did countless times this season) or possibly adding another player in that role should also be right up there in terms of priorities

15. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree, we do need to sort out our midfield. We need someone to link up play, such as Modric, or an Alonso from 2-3 years back. Gundogan is great for a CDM but another option who offers more going forward is Fernandinho, he has been excellent for Shaktar and is strong defensively and can make that pass that starts the attack. Citeh seem like they are keen but Shaktar want 35m+ which seems outrageous. I think if he is available for 15-20m it would be a good buy, I think he can be a quality player for us.

But for me, top targets are #1 Striker #2 CM/CDM

Fern, who do you have in mind?

16. Sergius64

Sergius64 Member

May 10, 2007
    That's what happens when you're dealing with a rich team that doesn't want to sell.