This is ARIS! The Continuing Quest of Freddy Adu.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by alky13, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your report. When you say that Javito is "in bad shape", do you mean he has an injury or he is in poor form on the pitch? I guess the latter as you mention Daily as injured.
    So if Javito is in poor form, Cuper might well give Freddy a run out. He's had, what, 8 or 9 days of training so far?

2. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Freddy Adu returned from Portugal and resumed trainings.

With his card settled, he is now available for Sunday's game.

If he persuades Cuper that he is ready for the game, he will be included in the "18".

3. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    FreddyAdu11

"Man i really like Greece. Very nice place and nice people everywhere you go"

4. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I'm almost certain that Adu will get some playing time on Sunday. Whether that is 90, 45 or 10 minutes.

5. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Javito is in poor form but i dont know if Freddy can start in 11. I dont know if he is ready. We have to wait till sunday.;)

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    i only see one scenario.

Adu left wing
    Calvo right wing

Aris wins 4-1. lol

7. alx1078

alx1078 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I like the way you're thinking. It shows you know your football.

8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Poof form??? :eek:

Seriously, I want to also give a big thanks to all the Aris supporters on this forum. We've had a lot of great posters from teams in leagues where our players play and you guys are right up there with them.

9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Hey alx1078, you stood next to Freddy, any estimate on his height and weight?

10. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Rule 5: no poofters
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Rule 7: no poofters"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA"]YouTube- Monty Python - Bruce[/ame]

11. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    lol:rolleyes:

12. alx1078

alx1078 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    He seemed fairly short (i'm about 6' 2 so i'd say he is about 5' 5... i don't know for sure to tell you the truth). But what seemed weird to me was that on Sundaty when EJ was also there (and EJ is tall and seems very well built) Freddy seemed ... thicker than EJ... Not fater... thicker. more square i would say. So i was very confused about how much he could weigh... Sorry i couldn't be more of a help.

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    You're probably too much taller than him to estimate properly. Square, you say. LOL. He has been lifting weights, trying to get stronger and put on muscle weight, so that might explain it.

This guy is even yellow, also:

[​IMG]

14. alx1078

alx1078 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    If i had to use specific words, i'd say that Freddy is more stocky while Eddie is more ... ripped... :p

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your estimate on Adu's height is about right.

When I saw EJ's pictures from the Aris Cup match, I thought he looked like he might have lost weight from last year. He looks like a younger EJ.
    But, that is only my perception from photos which could be off.

16. alx1078

alx1078 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I don't know if it's a case of "the tv adds 5 pounds", but EJ seemed also to me way thinner than what i remember him looking on the tv. So i don't know what to tell you.

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    on the question of holding the ball or keeping possession. Sometimes you have little players like Beez and Donovan who have ways of holding possession. Beez cant hold the ball well, which is why his whole game is a spazmodic first touch that gets it into space that he can run to. Donovan has really impressed me on how he can hold the ball. For a little guy either his balance or something keeps him on the ball. Adu seems to think he is Donovan, but he goes flying and has done a poor job in general of holding the ball and instead does the 'look-around' for the ref call.

So for all his square-bobs he still goes flying.

I am no expert, but I would say he needs to really work on his balance on the ball and especially with his back to goal holding position when the defender comes in with knees to his back and pace. Easier said than done.

Not meant as argument, just want to know how he can improve his possession play. Dempsey used to get muscled off easily, now it takes a forklift to get him to give up possession with his back to goal.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Adu just needs to be more consistant in his decision making. He can make a brilliant pass and/or beat a guy 1 v 1, but sometimes the situation doesn't call for that and he coughs it up cheaply.

However, that's something that generally comes with age and experience...which might be part of why you see Donovan and Dempsey making better decisions.

Freddy is young and still learning this level. He just needs games.

19. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Oh god, not more discussion about adu and his height/size/ 'thickness'.

The discussion reminds me of this video when they ask them about their theories on the leprechaun lol. :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8"]YouTube- Leprechaun in Mobile, Alabama[/ame]

20. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    You have to admit, the amateur sketch does look a little like Freddy.

21. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right to get this thread back on track, here's Freddy's latest tweet:

Alright i am very happy because i was given my favorite number 11. Means alot to me. ready to go. ARIS!!!!!

Nice! #11!

Related to this, I think I may need help from Aris supporters/Greek speakers to order an Adu jersey from Aris' site... :) This is the official home jersey, right?:

http://www.arisfc.gr/index.cfm?pid=111&view=detail&id=3905

I'd like to get one with 11 and "Adu" on the back, but I don't know how to ask to do that. There is a "notes" section on the order form... Could I do it there?

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    lol, our 6'2" friend from Aris stood next to the leprechaun and talked to him. And he's definitely sitting on a pot of gold.

23. ravensjk

ravensjk New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm embarrassed for the people of Mobile, Alabama. This is what passes as newsworthy?! Actually, what am I saying? For years most local 'news' everywhere has been crap.

Really though, I can't wait to see the little leprechaun on the field again. I also want to echo other posters in thanking the Aris locals for well thought out, informative news on our YA.

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Aris needs to fix their website to be more friendly to the user to buy stuff. I know LOADS of people are going to try and buy the adu jersey, well at least americans.

I know I will get a nacho' one, but before i dish out some cash, I want a better site to order from lol! I dont know where to begin! I might just even call in.

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Adu is better than Donovan at holding the ball under pressure (and that's about it)...he's still learning what draws him fouls and how to maintian possession WHILE STILL ATTACKING when he gets a physical challenge that's not a foul, but that will come with experience.

Balance is not the issue, strength on the ball is. Of course, he was a boy playing with men for a long time...