Third kit leak? (hope it's a April fools joke)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by tigerheadsaints, Apr 1, 2012.

1. shoeless

shoeless Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What about the Cascadia flag that Portland uses? Or Chicago and the use of their city flag, they made a jersey out of it (very cool one too)? San Jose's city logo and the team's crest? Baltimore Ravens? Bayern Munich? There are plenty examples of local flags/emblems incorporated into team logos and such.

I think Texas pride is funny too though. Whenever I travel out of the country and people ask where I am from, my reply is usually "Texas" without even thinking about it. At least 7 out of 8 of my great-grandparents were born in Texas, and I believe most of my great-great-grandparents were as well. So to me, I am a Texan. It just is. Hell, I even have a Texas flag on my jeep.

A couple things on the subject as well, Texas is the only state I have seen used in other countries to promote merchandise. I know I have seen a shop in Dubai and one somewhere else (can't remember right now) that used Texas in their store name/signage. When I was in Germany for World Cup I ran into a couple of other Americans carrying Texas flags but no other state flags.

I think it's cool that other cities and states use their flags for more than just sitting on a flagpole in front of a courthouse or fire house. I think Californians and Coloradans(sp?) display/use it more frequently than some others.

Edit: I like the Marseilles 3rd.

2. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    but Houston is also the only "Southern" city to come out of the civil rights era unscaved.

Of course we did our race riots in during WWI;) so we're not exactly clean when it comes to race relations.

3. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    same here. the sht i learn from you guys. if i say so myself, we have one of the better team boards on BS. some others are lame.

^^^ reminds me of the urban legend that there were Japanese soldiers on remote Pacific Islands that didn't know WWII had ended. i just got a visual of Don in his Hawaiian shirt, racoon hat and a musket defending Austin from Messicans and Injuns. :D

ps - we are waaaaaaaay off-topic. should of never brought up Real Sociedad.

4. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I don't want to hear it this time-this time you are the thread derailer.

BTW-check out my post in Stadium thread. HBU vs. Monterrey Tech in throwball. I am game for a road trip if you are:D

5. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here, the sign at Chilis says "Chilis Bar and Grill." In Calgary, it says "Chilis Texas Bar and Grill." Instead of cattle guards, they were called "Texas Gates." And I can't remember the exact name anymore, but large liquor bottles were called Texas somethingorothers.

6. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HBU is playing Monterrey Tech? Where? I would attend that game at all cost...unless it so happens to interfere with an already purchased event.

*EDIT* I just saw that there are no dates planned yet. If it does end up happening I'll be at every game. Monterrey Tech is a legendary throwball team.

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Common myth ....

.... the original 13 colonies were all separate, individual sovereign states

.... the US Flag Code states that any State flag can be flown at an equal height to the US flag (the actual "rule" states that the US flag must be flown on an equal or greater height staff).

8. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    yes, yes we know-our resident Hoosier pointed this out already. And that Hawaii and Vermont were republics too.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gives a flying ******** for getting history correct!

10. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that this is one of the coolest team forums. And I point to a thread about the team's third kit turning into the history of Rhode Island as evidence.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Don't forget The Conch Republic.

12. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    well if you include that then you have to include Staten Island...b/c even NYC didn't want them back in the 80's

defacto republic?

13. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, I've said before, I went to Monterrey Tech (for one whole summer!) and played soccer (pick up games) on their field. Their football team had lots of Americans on it that couldn't get scholarships to US colleges. Don't start with MLS comparisons, please....

And Texas as a republic was actually recognized by other countries, had embassies and everything. That's no urban myth.

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Texas had a legislative branch that passed laws, a state police force, and a recognized head of state.

15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody said it was.

The myth, is that it was the only one that had this before joining the Union.

16. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't California a republic also?

But except for maybe Hawaii, I think Texas was the only one that did more than just declare itself a republic.

17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    California never formed a government - it was basically a declaration of independence from Mexico.

Vermont on the other hand, while not recognized by others had their own currency for awhile.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. The only myth I referred to was about the Texas flag.

Texas was clearly its own country as was Hawai'i. Vermont is a little trickier but they certainly met most criteria other than international recognition. California has the worst case.

19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do know that the original 13 colonies all had their own system of government independent of each other as well as their own militias.

The original federal government of the US (the Continental Congress) was simply a group of designated legislatures from the colonies which would also support their independence of each other.

Also, take a gander at Revolutionary War ... it was fought between Britain and the 13 Colonies.

Of course, the history of the USA itself explains it as well:

"The United States was founded by thirteen British colonies located along the Atlantic seaboard. On July 4, 1776, they issued the Declaration of Independence, which proclaimed their right to self-determination and their establishment of a cooperative union."

That's what happens when "no child is left behind" ....

[​IMG]