Thinking of Beasley's first game...(R)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jri, Apr 15, 2005.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I remembered DaMarcus Beasley's first game tonight....he was 16 years and 10+ months that day......vs. Dallas in the Cotton Bowl I believe.....I remember how I was rooting for the ueber-skinny kid (man, did he look like a kid). He only seemed to get a few glimpses of the ball, and he did very ordinary, safe things. Predictedbly, he got pretty easily rode off the ball several times.

You could tell he had speed...but the mere nature of boy (Beasley) vs. men (everyone else) meant it was neutralized. Just their man nature could outrun him, but you saw Beasley chugging, and knew he would grow into the role.

I believe it was also Stoichkov's first game, and he scored a nice goal...but don't quote me.

Anyway, I remember thinking: well, ITS A START (for Beasley) and I hope the kid gets some time, and here's hoping it works out for him. But nothing from the play really told you he could become what he has.

Flash forward to tonight. Freddy Adu. OK, so the beginning game (first 30 minutes) was putrid for everyone. Terrible stuff. But after that, Freddy was the most impressive guy on the field bar none. Anyone scouting the game (not thinking about age at all) would think: Who was that guy? He stood out (along w/Moreno) amongst a pretty disjointed group of players.

In part of the 2nd half, Adu seemed to be 'taking over'. Although the finishing play was lacking, he was running the game for stretches it seemed. He had a cross in the first half which Walker shoulda buried. And a great cross with his right- pinpoint- right on Moreno head. He had a backheel laydown in perfect stride for Gomez, who didn't expect it, and shoulda had a great shot on goal out of it.

Sure, he had a few clunkers. But as Simon Cowell would say, "in a sea of hamburger, Freddy was a steak tonight"...

So, I can only :) when I think of the 2 different impressions (Beasley that night, and Freddy), and the :D only gets bigger when I realise Freddy is an entire year younger than Beasley at his debut.

Hey, anyone know what happened to that Beasley kid?

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next to Christian Gomez, Adu has been the most impressive DC United player this year.

Nowak needs to figure out a way he can utilize Gomez and Freddy as starters, rather than go back to his "start Gomez, then sub him out and put in Adu in the 70th minute" strategy he's been using.

3. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Agreed..Adu was amazing to watch. Without him I would have turned off the game before halftime. Some of his moves you would be thinking, he didn't mean to do that. But each time they worked and each time he did another amazing thing. His crossing is great and I loved the backheel as well. I will be so pissed if Nowak doesn't start him. VW is right about Adu and Gomez being DC's best players. I think Freddie should start on the left. He was drifting out there more than in the middle and maybe that's his natural position. Although he's been great, you can't put him at attacking midfielder, unless you start two.

4. emailryoung

emailryoung Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California
    This thread is consistent with the conversation at my house. Tonight, Freddy looked like the best player on United. And he was one of those that picked it up a notch -- he was intense as well as naturally talented. Just ask Frankie.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Just think, Freddy is a year younger than Beasley was when he debuted.

6. Kaos XIII

Kaos XIII Red Card

Mar 28, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I thought Adu showed great poise and composure when that Crystal Meth addict confronted him.

I hope that hack has made it on Dema's hit list. NOBODY should dare threaten the future of American soccer.

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Freddy's starting to arrive. But in this game he had Szetela marking him. Put Mulrooney, Mastroeni, Zavagnin, or Shalrie Joseph on him and I don't think he does as well. But against half the league he's probably already ready to start playing. I wouldn't have guess this a year ago. But he's still not nearly the player Gomez is IMO so DC might have to adjust the lineup for him. Maybe consider 1 winger and 2 AM's. Guppy might as well have not been out there. Let Gros switch from side to side. I'm almost tempted to say play 2 in the back instead of starting Stokes :) I won't say 3-6-1. Injuries and call-ups should open things up.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    :confused:

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    yes, you are absolutely right. let's let 'the future' dive all over the place and mouth off to refs for a few more years. and nobody confront him. let's baby him. that will prepare him for the big time.

10. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    C'mon you know where Beasley plays at. PSV. Or maybe you were asking about Jamar. Hey what part of Orlando are you from?

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I don't think Dema's yet up to putting teammates on his list. Though if he can't get playing time when coming back healthy, who knows.

The shoving by Adu was immature. He'd get sent off during an international match for that. He clearly dived.

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    You should look at the tape again. Frankie clearly pushed him, but he kept his balance. Now, he did go down a couple seconds later on a weaker challenge, but there was a(n) original foul there.

Hedjuk was acting like a jerk-off. He jawed and approached Freddy. Freddy stood him ground, and Frankie was going to chest bump.

Good for the kid. He doesn't have to put up with any crap this year. He had to put up with crap all last year, and he did...He was the most fouled player on the pitch last night by far..

13. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    he was touched but it wasn't enough contact to do anything, I've watched the tape several times thank you very much

14. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    On the Hejduk-Adu conflict there was a bit of contact when Freddy fell, but it certainly wasn't a foul. It looked more like Freddy got a spike stuck or something and fell, but that horrible ref last night was the root of the problem. And as for Adu shoving Hejduk, if he had done nothing we would all be ripping into him for not standing up for himself.

15. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Exactly

16. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I repeat...look at when Adu first turned away. Hedjuk put both hands on his back and pushed. That is a foul. Now, Fred didn't go down, and he fell later (in delay reaction), but Frankie did foul him.

Frankie's jawed immediately after the call (with psycho intensity). He approached Freddy and bumped chest (initiated contact). So I agree with you- Fred had to stand up for himself.

This is funny stuff coming from one of our all-time best divers (US Nats/MLS)...Hedjuk. Talk about pot/kettle black..

Maybe its my axe, but I am sick of all the niggeling stuff defenders do to kill creative players. In fact, its one of my biggest complaints about soccer- they allow the most creative players to become stifled while allowing institutional thuggery. Better enforcement of pushes, early tackles etc. would open up the game, and force defenders to take the ball away w/skill vs. thuggery...

17. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    imagine if adu was playing for the U-17s

18. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Saw Beasley in Champions League semi. He looked lacking in confidence and conviction. I was not surprised to see him miss his penalty in the crucial shoot-out and judging by their faces neither were his teammates.

He was lucky it didn't cost PSV their first ever Champions League semi-final appearance.

19. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I thought the first day of trout season was yesterday.

20. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    Frankie was just jealous that, in one night, Freddy served up two crosses with more accuracy than Frankie has ever thought was possible.

"Wait, so the cross isn't supposed to be lofted high into the air and land out of play for a goal kick??"

21. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    No fishing here, just an accurate appraisal of Beasley's sub-standard performance.

22. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    I think most people would disagree with your "accurate appraisal"

23. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You might want to schedule a check-up with your optometrist.

24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

:confused:

The CHampions League Semifinals havent started.

25. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There seems to be a lot of stupidity in this thread.