Thiago Motta sub with over 33 minutes left?

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by football_world, Jul 2, 2012.

1. football_world

Jun 13, 2006
    Hi, I'm not a coach so I am not an expert on substitution patterns. Anyways, coach Cesare Prandelli decided to sub Thiago Motta in for Montolivo at the 57 minute mark. This was Italy's final substitution. I understand that Italy is down 2-0 at that point and Cesare Prandelli needed to take a risk. I also understand that if you're only down by 1 goal, you can defer your last substituion until later.

My question is, does Cesare Prandelli need to take a risk this soon in the match though, with over 33 minutes left, not even including injury time? For example, could Cesare Prandelli have waited until the 70 minute mark to make a substituion - I would think 20 minutes is still plenty of time to score 2 goals? Then wouldn't he have been able to hold his 3rd substitution in case of an injury?

Is it common for coaches to use all 3 substitutions at the 57 minute mark in pro football when they are down by 2 goals? Was Cesare Prandelli forced to use the last substituion earlier because Spain controlled the flow of the game at the start of the second half and it was getting worse for Italy?

Again, I'm new to coaching so any help is appreciated. I'm sure some of you who understand coaching from a higher level understand what Cesare Prandelli was thinking. Thanks!

2. Mario Balotelli's Belly

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It's hard because Chiellini went off injured early, and Italy had to make changes to change the game. I wouldnt have subbed off Cassano tho. Could have really waited for the last 20 like you said. very rare tho 2 players come off injured around the hour mark.

3. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Prandelli is an idiot! He felt sorry for that bum Cassano just b/c he had a heart attack and took him along, even giving him a starting role, even though he hadn't played a game all season. Who the ef does he think he is, Paolo Rossi? So Prandelli sells this crap about doing what is right, even though for all we know Cassano was probably busting rails of cocaine of the plane. Plus he did not have the courage to recall some better players b/c the federation had problems with them. People will say that he led this team to the finals and that he is smart, but he was totally exposed in the final where his terrible tactical changes led to Italy getting the worst embarrassment in a major soccer final ever. If Cassano can't last 90 minutes, don't start him in a final. Wasted sub in my opinion. Thiago Motta was the icing on the cake of Prandelli's stupidity. Did he really think that sub was going to change anything? Did he really think Montolivo was better? Motta played great against Spain in the first game... Montolivo has been a huge disappointment his whole national team career and is only playing b/c he is on of Prandelli's favorites from fiorentina.

[​IMG]

This is the closest Prandelli has come to a winner.

Prandelli is just a tool though. The real problem is the corrupt federation though. God willing, they would all be booked on the Superga II and spare us from having another terrible tournament.