The Young Socceroos U-20s Thread[R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Hachiko, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah my bad. Costa Rica are a pretty good side actually. They were the runners up of 2011 CONCACAF U-20 championship (which is really really recent) and won the the thing in 2009. A young striker named Joel Campbell is the star of this current Costa Rica U-20 team and is the one to watch out for this upcoming tourney.
    So yeah...I take that back. Costa Rica might actually be a scary side.

2. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I have yet to see an Australian side get an easy WC group stage draw.

3. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    i'm really looking foward to this... There is a genuine reason to hope that this age group are going to be far better than those at olyroos age/2008 olympics age, at least in an attacking sense. I hope they can build on what were some promising performances at the u20 asian cup...

4. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A lot of the Central American teams tend to have pretty decent youth teams so it'll be a tough gig. As for Ecuador they're always a bit hit or miss. We have the job ahead of us that's for sure. But we welcome the challenge. You're not going to find anything out about yourself by continually playing average teams.

5. Sarmao's

Sarmao's New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Former Australia U'16's Slobodan Vulin and Milos Degenek were called up to the Serbia U17's today, are these kids talents or just randoms?

6. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Really? I'd be really surprised if they committed themselves with Serbia, especially Degeneck who should be going to the U-17 World Cup with Australia. Vulin is a decent player also.

We've had a few players recently get call-ups to other national teams but most of them have rejected them so i'd be surprised if Degeneck who is a key player would do otherwise.

Anyways, Young Socceroos are going to Europe to play Germany in a friendly and then compete in a Tournament in Holland against sub club sides on the 24th

Squad:

Goalkeepers:
    Mark Birighitti (Adelaide United), Matt Acton (Brisbane Roar)

Defenders:
    Jason Davidson (Pacos de Ferreira, Portugal), Petar Franjic (Melbourne Victory), Sam Gallagher (Central Coast Mariners), Brendan Hamill (Melbourne Heart), Dylan McGowan (Hearts, Scotland), Trent Sainsbury (Central Coast Mariners), Marc Warren (Sheffield United, England)

Midfielders:
    Mustafa Amini (Central Coast Mariners), Terry Antonis (Sydney FC), Jake Barker-Daish (Gold Coast United), Jason Geria (Brisbane Roar), Rhyan Grant (Sydney FC), Josip Konyit (Dinamo Zagreb), George Lambadaridis (Club Brugge, Belgium), Massimo Luongo (Tottenham Hotspur, England), Steven Lustica (Hadjuk Split, Croatia)

Forwards:
    Kofi Danning (Free Agent), Matthew Fletcher (Sunderland, England), Corey Gameiro (Fulham, England), Bernie Ibini-Isei (Central Coast Mariners)

7. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    YS beat Germany 1-0, Danning scored the goal towards the end of the first half. Report says it was a decent game. Nice result for us leading up to the Teaborg(sp) tournament directly after.

Interesting that Versleijen only used one of the uncapped foreign based players in this match(Gameiro) but left the rest on the bench. I hope he's actually going to use them and not just leave them on the bench for the entire tournament leading to the U20 World Cup as what would of been the point of bringing them in, in the first place?

Disappointingly he also started Marc Warren ahead of Jason Davidson again. Davidson's been playing regularly and always has looked a class apart whenever he's played but Warren still seems to be getting picked

8. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...-mexico-steps-up/story-e6frf423-1226075219057

Joeys cruise past Canada 2-1 in a pre-tournament friendly in Mexico, they play Uruguay within the next few days and then they play their group stage matches.

Judging by Versleijen's comments, he didn't rate Canada much and didn't think they were good enough to challenge us sufficiently in terms of judging were our own team is at, at the moment, so the Uruguay game will be a better barometer.

Olyroos also flogged Singapore today, 6-0. Scorers included Amini and Danning who only arrived back in Sydney this week from Europe and i guess again proving that the U-20's should really be taking those U-23 spots by the throat.

9. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Team was: Dean Bouzanis; Matthew Foschini, Sebastian Ryall, Matthew Jurman, Aziz Behich; Kofi Danning, Oliver Bozanic (c), Aaron Mooy, Marko Jesic, Jason Hoffman, Rocco Visconte.

10. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Amini's goal is on Kevin Air's twitter also, i'll try and find it again. Great build up to it and then boom! Back of the net

11. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Very attacking lineup, I'm guessing something like:

-----------Bouzanis
    Foschini--Ryall--Jurman---Behich
    ------------Jesic
    -------Mooy------Bozanic
    Danning-----Hoffman----Visconte

12. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Mmm, Jesic is a striker/ winger lol, so i'd assume Bozanic would of anchored the midfield like he did against Japan and Visconte would of played slightly infront of him in the midfield triangle with Mooy, Jesic would of been at left wing like he did against Japan too

13. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Gah, somehow I fused the two into Jesic: LW/CM and Bozanic: LW

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1078191/A-League-players-dominate-Young-Socceroos

Full squad: Nicholas Ansell (Melbourne Victory), Terry Antonis (Sydney FC), Jake Barker-Daish (Gold Coast United), Josh Brilliante (Gold Coast United), Corey Brown (Brisbane Roar), Reece Caira (Aston Villa, England), Connor Chapman (AIS), James Donachie (Brisbane Roar), Jack Duncan (GK – Newcastle Jets), Ryan Edwards (Reading FC, England), Jason Geria (Brisbane Roar), Curtis Good (Melbourne Heart), Paul Izzo (GK – AIS), Tom King (Liverpool FC, England), Jamie Maclaren (Blackburn Rovers, England), Jesse Makarounas (Perth Glory), Nick Munro (Adelaide United), Daniel Petkovski (Sydney FC), Anthony Proia (AIS), Paulo Retre (Melbourne Victory), Adam Taggart (Perth Glory), Allan Welsh (Adelaide United), Liam Wooding (Adelaide United).

15. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  16. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Simply misunderstood was old Jan.

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    After qualifying for the next World Cup, we lost to our bogey side, Iraq in the semis. :(

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1128815/Iraq-knocks-out-Young-Socceroos

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1153158/Netherlands-too-good-for-Young-Socceroos

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia's FIFA U-20 World Cup 2013 match schedule is:

[​IMG]

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This is not the squad for the WC- its just the training squad which is playing these games:

[​IMG]

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Drew with Germany:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/australia/news/1154206/Young-Roos-draw-with-Germany

22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well! :eek:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1155885/Amini-not-buying-Okon's-reasons-for-omission

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Antonis is out as well:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1155673/Injury-rules-Antonis-out-of-U-20-Word-Cup

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So the Squad is:

Young Socceroos Squad: Anthony BOUZANIS (gk), Joshua BRILLANTE, Reece CAIRA, Connor CHAPMAN, Daniel De SILVA, James DONACHIE, Jack DUNCAN (gk) ,Ryan EDWARDS, Scott GALLOWAY, Corey GAMEIRO, Jason GERIA, Curtis GOOD, Hagi GLIGOR, Andrew HOOLE, Jackson IRVINE, Paul IZZO (gk), Jamie MACLAREN, Connor PAIN, Adam TAGGART, David VRANKOVIC, Ryan WILLIAMS

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1154723/A-League-tyros-fill-Young-Roos-squad

25. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I love it how Amini just automatically assumes it's a personal vendetta behind his nonselection. It is a surprise though. Where's our firepower? To those following the "wunderkids" closer than me, who is doing well and stepping up? Who should we look out for?