The World Cup

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Dmitriy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Well, except for me.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I support USA not b/c this is where I happen to currently reside, but b/c I'm now an American and I'm proud to be one.

I don't see anything wrong with supporting more than one club or country, given our immigration past. It would be completely logical to keep your roots, and yet to cherish your new life.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you say that yasik, my lady cheers against Russia, for Ukraine and depending on if she's angry or happy with me on a given game day, the US.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I have no beef with Russia. As I said many times on this board, I consider myself a sovok, not Ukrainian or Russian. Odessa was never a Ukrainian city, nor is it a Russian city. I cheer against US only in the Olympics and only in certain sports (hockey, gymnastics, tennis)

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WTF?

6. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Damn right.

7. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Differenc ebetween sympathizing and supporting. goliath you're a joke, so Russia cna be in the WC final (just hold the laughter for a bit) and you wouldn't give two shits? I call bullchit. :)

8. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    #33 goliath74, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    So, what? I am an American too. But I can't and I won't force myself to be a US supporter in any sport. I can not stand how American sports are organized and run. Besides, being a fan has no logic or reason. Thus the word "FAN"atic.

PS> I never associated Russian football with Soviet football. I grew up as a football fan in the early 80s and from that point until my immigration in 1991, Soviet football associated for me with Ukrainian clubs and players.

9. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    From your grammar-deficient rant I got one question: Am I a joke that I do not support Russia in football? or am I a joke because I support only Ukraine?

Now tell me why I should support Russian football after hating it every day of my life?

10. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Lol!!!! Wasn't expecting another g74 gem, its been a while since he went full retard

I mostly agree with yasik but I feel more cheering for U.S. than I do for Russia. I cheer for Russia just don't feel as heartbroken as when the U.S. lose.

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Sorry dude, I just can't.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Dude, you can't stand how US sports are organized, yet you're a die hard fan of DK......do you not see irony in that? I assume you know the history of Dinamo better than I do, so I'm not sure I have to explain the not so "proper" past of the club. I'm a die hard fan of Chelsea, but I'll admit that having Roman as an owner is not the brightest spot on the club.

13. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    You hate Russian football? Wtf.

You're a unique case ( I still 100% know that you're woofin' though, you'd die for Russia to win the WC final if we had the chance), every single Russophone and culturally Russian person would at the very least sympathize with Russia.

You're either one in a million or woofin', I think you're woofin'.

14. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Coentrao and Pepe are world class? Certainly not. Moutinho is a top midfielder and I've seen a decent amount of him and he's not world class for me.

15. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    First of all, I do not know what "woofing" means. You have to translate this from redneck to colloquial English. Second of all, I do not give a damn how Russia does in the WC. Thirdly, I am not a culturally Russian person (neither am I a culturally Ukrainian person, by the way).

And, finally, I do support Russian hockey team and sympathize with Russia in the Olympics and such. just not in football. Nothing ties me to Russia in a football sense

16. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    #41 goliath74, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    Yasik, you have no clue, do you?

I hate that youth sports in this country is married to the education institutions. I hate that pro leagues use a draft system and do not develop their own players. I hate that there is no promotion or relegation. I hate that North American pro leagues assume primacy over international competition. Do I need to continue?

17. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Yea, no shit.

What ties you to Russian hockey, etc.?

18. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    So you didn't grow up speaking Russian, eating Russians food, listening to Russian music, etc.?

I don't know about you sometimes.

19. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Soviet League, Soviet national team, even Sokil Kyiv's roster. Hockey was a predominantly Russian thing in USSR.

20. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    So, culture is language, food, and music?

And to answer your questions: Yes, I did speak Russian. No, most food I ate wasn't Russian (Jewish, Ukrainian, predominantly. Even my vodka is Ukrainian). No, I did not listen to Russian music (and I still don't).

21. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    lol, you are such a weirdo goliath.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Relax....you're entitled to your opinion. I don't judge.

But while DK had a great youth system, they also stole a ton of players. I don't see you bringing that up. I'm just bewildered that your reasons for not supporting the national team of the country that is your home is there's not relegation or promotion. It's just so bizarre.

23. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Let's delve deeper into this.

24. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Did Dynamo steal Rincon? Dudu? Vukojevic? Rebrov? Shevchenko? Who did they steal in the last 25 years? Who did they ever steal who was under a contract with another club? Yasik, you're obfuscating.

And let's discard a straw man argument, Yasik. You're better than this.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You best explain yourself right now.