The World Cup

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Dmitriy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Russia with a group that resembles 2002 (at least geographically) and the U.S. with a toughy.

Imo the pundits, etc. overrating Portugal like always, U.S. has a way better chance than what people are giving them.

2. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    As a fan of direct attacking football I'm enthralled by a fast-paced match in which many chances are created ... while I usually get bored quickly when a 'controlled' one with minimal effort and exertion is going nowhere. During those few moments when everything comes together, great squads can display jaw dropping combinations and be unplayable ... but how often have you seen a team achieve little to nothing after 90 minutes of sterile possession? Our teams will face each other in Rio ... it's a good venue for a high intensity game ... do you feel the same?

Seeing that our possible R16 opponents from group G are in a GOD deadlock which could turn into a war of attrition + G has the smell of a Group Of Sweat too ... I'd like to know what Capello's vision is on energy conservation.

3. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Who are you talkiing about again?

4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    The Russian NT and Capello's vision for Brazil 2014 ... what kind of football are you expecting to see when Russia faces Belgium in Rio? What's Russian football culture/philosophy about and what has been the impact of Capello?

When Hiddink & Advocaat were the managers I saw where they were heading (even when their vision was less clear at times) ... now it's harder ... maybe because Russia is in a transitionning phase and laying the foundation for the Russia2018 squad? E.g. in France the need for change is being debated ... the old concepts could already be revised and you'll see aspects of a brand new France during Brazil2014 with the youngest players taking up new roles.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most stats I've seen put the US even with Portugal. I'm not sure I buy that, but outside of Ronaldo Portugal are a fairly average team.

The US can beat both Ghana and Portugal but it's not going to be easy.

6. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Far more conservative minded football as you probably would have guessed with Fabio being the coach. On paper the team has fewer players in their prime, the fullback position while not horrible cannot provide a partnership to match Anyukov/Zhirkov (neither are in the NT picture right now, the latter mainly due to injury). The strikler sport, our traditional achilles heel, is even worse than before. In fact the earlier days with Pav/Kerzh/Pog seem very nostalgic now compared to what we have to work with in the present.

You're right about the transition phase but it's not a complete rebuild from scratch or anything. The team is younger now but far from inexperienced. That being said at the very best best three Russian players would get into the Belgian first 11 right now.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Belgium to meet Brazil in the final. :)

8. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    yasik, have you decided who you'll be supporting yet?

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Russia
    USA
    England
    Belgium
    In that order.

10. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I am supporting good football.

11. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Funny, considering if you deduct Ronaldo, Portugal is worth 192 million Euro, still the 9th most expensive team in the world, 150 million Euro more then the USA. Ronaldo is there only true goal scorer, but the defense and and midfield are still solid. The Ronaldo is everything to Portugal myth may work on the ignorant, but for those that know this game well know Pepe, Moutinho and Coentrao are also world class. Or maybe Portuguese agents are just magicians.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess they might not even bother showing up then. Glad you saved them the airfare.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knockout tournaments generally don't lend themselves to that.

14. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    RC I'm assuming you are going? How can I get a package to follow the U.S. around? Is there a discount if I become a member of some fan group? I'm not for sure I can get the first few weeks in June off but I'm definitely planning on going at some point. How hard is it right now to get tix for the knockout stage? For euro2012 the UEFA.com site had a ticketportal where you can buy tix that were resold. Any idea if they have that for the world cup??

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA is currently accepting applications for the ticket lottery. If you are a member of the US Soccer supporters, you can apply through them for US tickets. I'll be in Brazil from June 14 to July 7 and plan on hitting every possible US game from the group stage through the quarterfinals. That includes flying to goddamn Manaus for the US-Portugal game.

16. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It was not my intention to insult the U.S team, just saying the Ronaldo is everything for Portugal, is more myth then fact. I know full well how dangerous the USMT can be and how well they play when facing tougher opponents. No one is safe in this group, except maybe Germany, but even they will have to be on their game.

17. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Since I do not give a rat's ass for a single team at the World Cup next Summer that is the next best thing.

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    How do you not support Russia at or USA at all?

19. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    If you blame France ... you can always get behind their opponents.

20. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    #20 goliath74, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    How can I support either Russia or USA? They are not made of clubs I care about or players I care about and they do not represent federations I care about.

21. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I have no problem with France whatsoever. In fact, if you were to follow your way of thinking, one should support France and should France achieve success, I could later say - look, Ukraine lost to France (a WC winner, a WC finalist, a WC semi-finalist) in the play-offs. it worked for Ukraine twice already - we had once lost in the play-offs to Germany who took second place in 2002, and to Croatia who were third in 1998.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    It's simple. I chose Russia for my cultural past (I associate Russia with USSR) and I will cheer for USA because this is my country now (I could care less about the MLS or the clubs though I will start supporting the Quakes at some point in my life). Belgium and England are due to the players and clubs I support.

23. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    So, you support USA because of your current geographical location? Perhaps, it must just be a mirage when I attend Florida Panthers matches and feel like I am in the other club's arena?

I only support one club and one NT. And I will always support only one club and one NT. In my mind, that is the only way for a football fan to be.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's mostly because there are no Panther fans.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo is Portugal's main scoring threat. I know Postiga scored 6 goals in qualifying, but forgive me if I don't rate him too highly. Portugal have a very good defensive team, but if Ronaldo is not on the field I believe they will struggle to score or generate chances.