The Wire

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by israbeckham, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YMMV and all that, but I think you're alone in the wilderness on this one.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In my mind, the season I remember the most is the 4th. For true originality, the second season may offer more, having the courage to take a very successful first season in a completely different direction.

4. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season 4 is when you figure out you're watching a true masterpiece.

5. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's probably the main reason I'm watching. I've had enough people ask me about it (the 4th season specifically) and then, when they find out I haven't seen it, tell me how I simply HAVE TO WATCH IT.

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I'm with him in a sense. I don't think it's weak sauce I like it a lot, but having been somewhat involved in the drug trade earlier, knowing people still in it, and knowing very bad addicts the 3rd season for me was the best.

It was a utopian idea in a sense but it provided better insight into the life of addicts, addiction overall, and what can be done about it more than anything else I've ever seen from a fictional TV story.

7. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    That's pretty much how I feel. I recognize that the 4th season is the best, but I think my favorite may be the second. Though if I can complain about something, it's the awful Greek those guys spoke. Truly nails-on-chalkboard type stuff.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll get hooked long before that.

Agreed. And my wife is always like that about the Spanish on TV - Mexican playing somebody from Argentina; Argentinean playing somebody from Columbia, etc.

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    "F'k, f'k, motherf'ker." That is the guaranteed point where, if the addiction has not started yet, it will have after.

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's when I knew I was hooked, but I was on board 100% at "Got to. This America, man."

I have to agree with the chorus and say Season 4 is the best, but I really love Season 3, because that's when Omar really goes off and that's when we meet Marlo. It's also McNulty at rock bottom.

11. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That badge-flashing hood-of-the-car scene is classic.

12. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was season 5. Or maybe there was another similar scene.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Maybe it is just preferences

But for me the later seasons suffer the usual derivative problems

Key protagonists get less interesting the more we get to know them (e.g. Stringer, Bodie, Omar, McNulty).

Other story lines and characters are just reskins e.g. Marlo, Snoop, Chris, The Greek

I say this as someone who watched the whole thing back to back on DVD.

So it is criticising greatness.

But for me the mood of season 1 is never really recaptured.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Omar - he was probably the one character that they really could have done more with. But the rest is just the natural flow. Bodie never wanted to rise up, so his character became stagnate. Stringer died. McNulty, actually, I found to be interesting and really didn't like, in the comfort sense, when he went on his serious bender.

I think the problem with what you are suggesting is that there were so many good characters that the writers had to limit what was possible in a one hour show.

Of course. When somebody goes away, a new person will appear in that position. That is life, and one thing that the show got rigth. Specially Marlo's street savy business sense.

It is that. :)

To me, season 1 was great because it was something new to US TV. That said, I watched the origional Traffik about a year before I watched The Wire and found many similarities in the story telling. So I saw the similarities in the different season. To me, though, the most similar were seasons 1 and 3 (or what ever was the City Hall season).

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah. This.

The original Traffik - do you mean the hamburg/london one?

That was brilliant.

16. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    See, I haven't gotten back and watched the earlier seasons, I thought Stringer, Bodie and Omar were more interesting in later seasons. Though I concede that might have more to do with familiarity than how they were written, but at least in Bodie's case, I enjoyed his evolution from just another street level dealer to lone wolf in Marloland.

Marlo, I thought, was intriguing and unique for is complete lack of conscience or sense of humor, and his crippling insecurity.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife never really got into Season 1; she thought it was decent but it was a chore getting her to stick with it. We didn't get around to Season 2 for awhile because she wasn't sure she wanted to bother.

Halfway through Season 2, she was hooked--so much so that from that point on it was usually her pushing to watch "just one more episode" before we went to bed.

For me, I was hooked right away. For her, it took a little time to click, but when it did she ended up thinking it was the best TV show she'd ever seen.

19. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finished up Season 1, and am 2 episodes into season 2.

The good:
    • The theme is unmissable, consistent, and rings true
    • The rising action of the overall plot is engaging
    • Omar's mere existence is a subversion of black male stereotypes in mainstream media
    • Larry Gilliard is an awesome actor
    The bad:
    • The characters are generally cardboard cut-outs
    • McNulty's family issues (I don't care!)
    • McNulty's accent
    The ugly:
    • Certain scenes are extraneous
    • Characters going temporarily "dumb" to advance the plot

Overall I can see why people love this show, and its strengths far outweigh its weaknesses. The production isn't particularly slick, but I'm not even sure that's a fault.

The best part of it, though, is that it's so thoughtful. And by that I don't mean "Oh wow, look at how delicately they handled sensitive subject matter."

I mean "These guys really thought long and hard about what they want the show to say, where they want it to go, and what they want it to mean." It's like the anti-Lost or Battlestar Galactica.

I really appreciate that. I'm willing to overlook "little" inconsistencies (Why'd Omar switch from shotgun to pistol when he was trying to assassinate Avon?) because the rest of it is done with such care.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true.
    Don't you know. I actually saw him as Stringer's eventual consiglieri, but man he played the role with such introspection.

I saw that as trying to make him multidimensional. How many cop shows have you seen where all they ever show is the guy being a cop as if he has no other life.

Some of that, I saw, as people having brain farts. Specially McNulty with his drinking.

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically it just makes them one-dimensional. I've started calling McNulty "Riggs."

The drinking is forgivable because it's consistent. I'm talking about legitimate out-of-character stuff that occasionally gets used as a plot lever.

"In this scene, we need a drug dealer who is usually perceptive, clever and intelligent to throw all that shit out the window because the plot demands it."

Usually that makes me flip the channel. But The Wire is so good I stick with it and accept it.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only watched the series once through, so it's very possible that there were some such scenes I've forgot about, but one thing I certainly remember about the first couple of seasons was how there were moments, even entire scenes, which made no sense at the time, but a later episode--sometimes even from a subsequent season--cleared it up. If memory serves me right, you may end up very surprised at how many odd asides and brief moments from the first couple of seasons will ultimately make sense in the context of seasons 3 and 4.

Like I said, though, I only watched the series once, so I'm struggling to remember actual examples. But I clearly remember moments in, say, Season 4, where something from an earlier episode suddenly clicked or made sense. If somebody with a better memory or more thorough recollection of the series can help me out with specifics, that would be awesome.

23. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what, I think you're right, it was during the relapse.

24. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished season 2. Colossally depressing.

My complaints from the first season still stand, though. A lot of the direction is clumsy and ham-handed - the montage at the end of the finale while Nick stands against the fence in the rain is a good example - and characters play "dumb" when it's convenient. It's not as slick or tight as something like The Sopranos.

But while those aspects can occasionally suffer, the theme and plot are so consistent, so smart that it's almost ridiculous. I also appreciate the fact that they've gotten better about revealing character traits through scenes that move the plot forward, like when we learn that Lt. Daniels and his wife now have separate beds. That's good story-telling.

25. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    not sure remember that. Could you give an example of scenes you think are extraneous and examples of characters "going dumb to advance the plot."

i don't think a choice of weapon is an "inconsistency." He uses a pistol often to kill and rob people often. I think he has a pistol under his blanket the first scene he's in with the wheelchair. There are several scenes i can think of off the top of my head too where he's using only a pistol. Including arguably the best scene in the series in Season 3. "I see you favor a 45." lol. But i won't spoil it because i can see you aren't that far yet.