The Wire

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by israbeckham, Dec 20, 2010.

1. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Fixed. ;)

2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I finally sat down to watch the first two episodes of The Wire last night.

Got to say, 1) it rings true, and 2) I'm glad I didn't watch it when I was living in New York.

During the show's run my girlfriend was a teacher in the lowest-of-the-low-income neighborhoods, my best friend worked for a nonprofit specializing in finding housing for people with mental disabilities, my cousin was a cop who got shifted from anti-drug to counterterrorism/cybercrime, another friend became a cop in inner-city Houston, and still another friend was a community activist who worked for the board of education.

In short, I knew all too much about institutional corruption, red tape, inner-city violence, racial tensions and the drug trade. Last thing I wanted to do was watch a show about all of the above for entertainment.

Now that I'm a little bit removed, I'm making it a point to watch the whole series.

So far, so good. Except for McNulty's awful accent.

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it just gets worse. There is one memorable episode where McNulty has to "play" an Englishman trying to get a prostitute to proposition him. High comedy there....

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the actor was Irish. Anyway, that was actually one of my favorites in terms of humor. Lotta good laughs in that one.

7. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep us posted on your thoughts. I have seen the whole series twice, and probably won't do it again. Maybe when I get old and lose my mind, I'll do it again - cause I will have forgotten and it will be like the first time.

It's a damn masterpiece, and I am jealous you get to see it all for the first time. Just know that it develops arcs over multiple seasons, so while some of it seems slow and superfluous in the early going, it's actually quite economical and all in service of the story and the characters.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm definitely interested in hearing what you have to say.

+1 to all of the above.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just started season 5 and am getting kind of bummed that there's only 9 episodes left. So far it's one of the best tv series ever.

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Dominic West is English with Irish-Catholic parents, and he studied in Dublin. So yeah, it's kinda funny when he says "Snot Boogie".

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and just saw an episode of Body of Proof. Nice to see Sonja Sohn in a recurring role post Wire. She was my favorite in the first 2 seasons. Had the best closing of any episode. "Good night feind. Good night hopper..."

12. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Nope; he's English but he studied acting at Trinity College, Dublin. Aiden Gillen (Carcetti) is Irish, mind.

EDIT: PhatHat beat me to it. :eek:

13. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Forgive me for namedropping, but speaking of actors from the show, I got to work briefly with Frankie Faison (Commissioner Burrell) earlier today. About the most laid-back, friendliest, un-Burrell-like guy you'd ever meet.

Also, Dominic West is in BBC 2's The Hour, which is nothing like Mad Men, insists the execs at BBC, who think you might like the show if you enjoyed Mad Men:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InILSU-ZV9M"]YouTube - ‪The Hour Trailer - New Series - BBC Two‬‏[/ame]

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That episode was directed by Dominic West. :)

This isn't really a name drop, I don't think, but a couple weeks ago I went to see Erykah Badu give a short performance at the Roxy up on Sunset. Afterwards she had a DJ Set, then a few other DJ's joined her up on stage and they took turns putting on tracks to close out the night. Up on stage with them was a guy wearing shades who looked like a young Delroy Lindo. He eventually picked up a mic and started playing hype man, rapping along to 2Pac and Biggie songs, saying things like, "YEAH!" "IS DC IN DA HOUSE?!?" "IS NEW YORK IN DA HOUSE?!?" He was actually pretty funny to watch especially when he would reach over the DJ's shoulder to turn down the music so he could bleat, "UHH!" "ONE TWO ONE TWO!!" and what not. We were kind of having a laugh over him and then he took off his shades and we realized it was Idris Elba (Stringer Bell).:eek: Talk about not having the same personality as the person you played on TV.

Apparently he DJ's around LA sometimes.

15. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have tried twice to watch it but cant get past the first three episodes. I just need to take the leap I guess. I might do that tonight as I have the entire first season on my PC.

16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am also (finally) watching the first season, and I have to say that it's worth it -- so far. I had a little trouble getting into it at first too.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If nothing else, watching for the 4th season - the schools (and there are some pretty strong lead ins, so you'll have to watch it all the way through).

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Only the first series is a genuine classic

The others are just good entertainment

19. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    The 4th season (that's right, season :D) is the best season of any TV show. [Clough]Or at least in the top 1. [/Clough]

20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be ashamed to watch it with subtitles on.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, did I say that? Just went though most of the thread...I said elsewhere other characters were better. Just goes to show how good the show is that things like that change.

22. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? I'd call the first 4 seasons classic, and the 5th only suffers in comparison to what came before.

And from what I've seen it's very common that it takes several episodes to really get into it, I had the same reaction. I haven't rewatched it yet (just saw it for the first time during the past year), but I've heard those first few are a lot more enjoyable on rewatch because you're already immersed in the world.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    the 4th was poor i thought.

5th had that shark jumping story line.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    dude no way.

only 1 has the rawness and originality.

4th is weak sauce

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. As a teacher of those type of kids, many of the things they got spot on, if condensed. And Prezbo wanting to help out and figuring out how to, but seeing all many of his efforts got waste was about right.