The Wire

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by israbeckham, Dec 20, 2010.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that we have sold it so much that it was somewhat expected and not as dynamic.

2. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, I didnt know Lehane had a hand in this show. That explains a lot.

3. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the best season of this show. I am 2 episodes into season 2 now. I wasnt expecting a complete change in plot like that but I like it.

4. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Wire fans are generally split between Seasons 2 and 4. I prefer 4 myself, but I understand the criticism Season 2 people raise.

5. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Really? I hear more love for season 3 than 2.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 is my fav, but then I have worked in that environment so I am biased.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Season 4. But I liked the change in focus in each season. I loved that the show was willing to move to the docks in season 2, but I liked McNulty less in that season. I also like season 5, mostly because I so loved the editor. But season 5 is shorter and the whole Jayson Blair angle is truncated, which robbed the show of its subtlety.

8. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he probably had a lot to do with shaping some of the characters and their arcs, like McNulty.

Omar Little is all Pelecanos, though. He's a lot like one of the guys in King Suckerman.

9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1

In Season 4, the Prez/school storyline, The Snoop/Chris reign of terror, the Omar / Marlo / Prop Jo / The Greek dynamics -- all great plots, great suspense, great action.

But the emotion in this season was perhaps unparalleled. I think it's why folks say it's the best thing ever on TV. I'm a late comer, having just watched them all last year. But I can still literally feel that season.

Specifically, the personal stories of Randy and Bubbles/Sherrod were so heavy and true and powerful--I'm not sure what can compare.

I loved all the other seasons, but that season was such masterful culmination of the previous back-stories and emotional investment from Seasons 1-3, they really created something amazing.

10. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still trying to figure out who Omar is and what his goals are. I have a feeling he is one of the more interesting storylines of the show, am I right?

Also, what kind of prison is Avon, DeAngelo and Wee-Bay in? That's like a really nice country jail, not a prison. Also, why are they all together? That's not realistic and I thought DeAngelo flipped on Avon. I guess he doesnt realize it yet?

11. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D'Angelo never flipped at the end of Season 1.

He was going to at the end of Season 1, but his mother came in and talked him out of it. So at the beginning of Season 2 he's doing his time for 'the family.'

He continues to struggle with this, though.

12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC D'angelo isn't on the same cell block as Wee Bay and Avon. They probably all were separated at first but Avon has enough pull to get him and Wee Bay in the same spot. We can assume that he tried to do the same for D'Angelo and he said no thanks.

I can't remember for sure but I think Avon did pull the strings to get D'angelo the library job.

13. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. Season 4 was my fave.

Closest I've heard to universal agreement is that 5 was the worst. But that's only relative to the others, it's still better than just about any other show out there. And my brother works in the newspaper industry and he absolutely loved that season.

14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I loved every season -- the Hamsterdam storyline in Season 3 (I believe) was the biggest stretch for me.

I loved the whole "bottle in a paper bag" line of reasoning, and I've been well-versed in the futility of the War on Drugs -- but the idea of a high-level police official engaging in a rogue project on that scale was a bit much.

But that is the very definition of a quibble. Still an excellent season.

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's going to be a class taught on The Wire Season 4 and what it says about education here at U Mich-Ann Arbor next term.

That season hit me the hardest, because of the kids in it, I'm sure.

---------------------

My least favorite season might have been the docks, but that's not to say I didn't like it. It just seemed to start slowly and that one guy (the actor later went on to do a wonderful job in Generation Kill) could be annoying. Eventually, I was just as wrapped up in that season as the others, though.

16. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea for Hamsterdam came from the story of real life former mayor of Baltimore Kurt Schmoke.

The Hamsterdam and Jayson Blair parts are the two things that most viewers had the hardest time swallowing which is probably why Seasons 3 and 5 are usually not considered favorites. Although there were some viewers who didn't like Season 4 because that's when the show completely stopped being a police procedural.

17. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, I missed that at the end of the season I guess. I remember his Mom visiting him but dont remember him telling the cops no. I thought he signed something.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory is that he did agree to something, but then backed out. Morality v. Family.

Personally, I loved the scene in season 1 when he had to take care of the fishes. I had a sadness all through that scene until the lights were turned on. What a relief.

As a side note, was talking to one of my teachers. He was trying to teach some of the students chess. As he was saying this, we were reminded of D teaching Bodie how to play chess. He is gonna find that and teach the kids.

19. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [​IMG]
    This is great stuff for The Wire nerds: http://periscopestudio.com/category/the-wire/

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't show a scene where he backs out, but it's obvious when he shows up in court with Levy as his attorney (after having fired him in the "Where's Wallace" scene the previous episode) and he gets a the maximum sentence, 20 years, instead of the plea bargain and witness protection that Pearlman was working on. Basically his mom told him that his son and baby mama would get cut off from the Barksdale money if he testified.

21. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mayor Schmoke cameoed (is that a word?) in Season 3 several times as an advisor to the mayor. Once I recognized him, I knew the Hamsterdam project was going through on the show.

22. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually liked the first season better than the second. I just found the Barksdale cast to be more interesting to follow than the guys from the docks. I am watching the Season 3 premiere now.

I am guessing this season focuses on politics?

23. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the 1st season on HBO OnDemand, I got hooked rather quickly, due to friends of mine who worship the show, and having seen bits and pieces of the first 2 seasons here and there.

So currently, I'm up to S2E4. Sure the plot surround the Pit and all that was great, and how the Polish-Am cop finds his niche and kicks ass, but the dock stuff is really enlightening.

24. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There's also another scene before the court room where Ronda calls up to the jail where he's being held and she expecting to deal with the push over public defender and instead finds a cocky Levy on the phone.

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Season two get's a lot of hate from people, I don't understand why though. Aside from Ziggy's annoying self it's a fantastic season that lays the groundwork for so many things.