The wine thread

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Green Tabasco, Jul 11, 2005.

1. 4086adrian

4086adrian New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Charleston
    I'm not saying that I don't try other wines as well. If a friend recommends one I'll try it for sure but it's good to know that I can always rely on my Bordeaux.

2. sportsfanphilly

sportsfanphilly New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Re: Your favorite Wine?

My favorite is riesling.

3. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

This budget-range Syrah went very well with beef.

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can highly recommend this book.

[​IMG]

5. CrimsonChin00

CrimsonChin00 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

German?

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Basic Red table wines are where I'm at right now; I seem to have OD'd on old vine Zins.

Just had a bottle of this over the weekend:

[​IMG]

It's a nice little blend for about $8 a bottle, and it isn't overly sweet like most table reds.

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Does it come with the extra woman?:D

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Where are you finding it for $8? I'm seeing it for about $14.

Thx,

Jay!

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I picked it up a Wegman's in Sterling

10. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Ahh, Virginia prices.

Thx,

Jay!

11. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I haven't seen it in the states, but this was the best sparkling wine I ever had:

[​IMG]

low quality image, but it's Cricova- it's from Moldova and is made using the traditional champagne method. In addition to be really good, it usually cost about 170 CzK in Brno.

other than that, usually like Cote-du-Rhone reds, and I like the Czech and Austria whites which tend to be very dry and acidic tasting (not at all like German wines which are usually lower in alcohol and sweet).

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

An extra man.

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

You must have been one of those bra-burning gals:p:D

Lately I keep returning to Bodega Norton Reserva 2006 Malbec. The wine buyers guide has continuously rated it at a 90 plus it's less than $20 a bottle. I also recently purchased a bottle of 2007 Kaiken Mendoza Malbec which also scored a 90. I looked at some other pubs and sites to see where it was ranked and found it received mixed reviews but none were bad. Interestingly this is a Chilean wine made in Mendoza of Argentine grapes. Definitely worth checking out.

[​IMG]

14. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    [​IMG]
    Chilean wine and a woman of dubious moral standing, makes for a much agreeable time.

15. CrimsonChin00

CrimsonChin00 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a wine sample at a local wine shop(that is now going out of business), and sampled River Bluff Charbono, De Valier Pinot grigio, Viridian Oregonian Pinot Noir, and Malvasia Rose. Excellent line-up I must say.

16. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Having a bad allergy day. Made chicken soup from scratch, with 17 cloves of garlic, and .....

[​IMG]

Not to be taken with antihistamines. :)

17. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    [​IMG]

very mediocre, but some of the nices labels in wine. Also the cellars, and apparantly the town of Cejkovice itself, were founded by the Templars which is kind of interesting.

Still it would be nice to find a decent Vetlenske Zelene... not even sure what that vareital is called in English "green... "

* according to Wikipedia you use the German name "Gruner Vetliner"

18. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sorry to go (a little bit) off topic but I didn't want to post a new thread. The thing is some relatives of mine are planning to go into the wine shop/wine bar business in the near future and I wanted to know whether any of the regular contributors to this thread had any experience on this that would like to share. I honestly don't know the slightest thing about the business apart from some practical knowledge on the differences between several grapes and limited wine tasting experience.

When asked about what I thought about the idea, my first thought was to define whether it should be a wine bar, a wine shop or probably a bit of both. Obviously, it depends on what you expect your average customer to be like and that surely differs between places. In my neck of the woods, most people I know don't go to wine bars because of the wines but rather because they want to be seen socializing in those places. It's (was?) more of a passing fad than anything else. Do they really care about the wine? If you are aiming to the upper end of the market and you get these type of customers, then you are screwed. On the other hand, what if you decide to offer your customers something on the side to go along with the wine? I am not a big fan of the "cheese & wine" or "ham & wine" bars, simply because it may take the focus away from the wine which is the main business. But that may appeal more to middle-income families which may be keen on having a decent wine alongside a fine cheese board. In the end, I think it just comes down to personal taste and that's why it may be crucial to identify your potential customers.

As I said earlier, I have no direct experience on the issue, just my experience as a customer so I may be way off the mark with my thoughts. I would appreciate if anyone has any thoughts to offer either from your experiences as a customer or from being in direct relation with the business.

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Is it like a Gewurztraminer?

20. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    not really; I think the Gerwurztraminer grape is red even though the wine isn't; Gewurztraminer is called "Cerveny Tramin" (Cerveny means "red" in Czech) or just "Tramin"in the Czech Republic and from what I recall it tasted a bit sweeter.

The Veltlinske Zelene appears to only be grown in Austria and Moravia. If I had to compare it's taste to a more established grape, probably Savignon Blanc but with a slightly more acidic or citrus taste.

21. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z6UyKzNrr8"]YouTube - The Best Cheap Wine: Beaujolais - CHOW.com[/ame]

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a tremendous amount of good, cheap wine out there. A local, up-scale grocery near where I live has a nice wine selection, good, knowledgeable staff, and always has a decent selection of stuff well under $10. Is it all good? Of course not. But on occasion they'll have a $7 bottle of something (often from South America) that is absolutely delicious. Not spectacularly complex, hinting of old leather, hibiscus and wet stones. Just nice fruit, well balanced, a touch of tannins. Stock up, get a case discount, and enjoy.

23. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I ordered this to go alongside a cheese & ham board:

[​IMG]

Good solid wine, if a little suave for my taste.

24. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

this is a very enjoyable, if simple, Zin and priced at $8/bottle. I liked that it is only 12.5% alcohol, so it is very drinkable.