The wine thread

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Green Tabasco, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Your favorite Wine? (AKA, the Wine? thread, part 2)

This thread should complement the "Wine?" thread. It´s gotten a little long.

What´s your favorite type of wine? Why?

I tend to buy more red wine from the La Rioja region in Spain then any other red. Marquez de Cáceres or Marquez de Arienzo, some crianza but mostly reserves. Pretty decenty priced.

I stay away from the white wines, mostly because I like full flavor. But there are excellent full flavored white wines out there. I keep a couple bottles of Chardonay in the fridge for guests.

Your thoughts.

2. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Your favorite Wine?

I enjoy rieslings. They're pretty reasonable in price and are more fruity than those awful paint thinner wines people sip on and pretend to enjoy.

Schmitt Söhne wines can be found anywhere.

But, hey, I'm lowbrow. ;)

3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001

Love the full-bodied Australian reds like Shiraz. McLaren Vale always catches my attention on a label.

4. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003

I like shiraz too. I find it spicy, and that for me, goes well with almost everything I cook. It´s certainly one of my favorite reds.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

I don't have a favorite wine. Choosing one is far too limiting.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "full flavor." Care to explain?

There's a lot more to white wine than chardonay kept in the fridge.

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Teldeschi Zinfandel. I just love old-vine Zins.

7. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are so many D.O.'s in Spain that don't get the recognition that Rioja carries.

One of the best "hidden" regions that produces some fantastic wines is Bierzo. If you can find bottles for under $15, I'd recommend a purchase.

Another hidden D.O. is Ribera Sacra. It's a relatively new one located in the southwestern part of Galicia, but I still have great memories of the bottles I tried when I was there. Good luck trying to find bottles in the US.

Navarra wines are typically good. Geographically near to La Rioja accross the Ebro River, so the climate is almost the same.

As it is, currently the highest rated wines are out of Ribera del Duero. Finding a bottle under $20 is rare, but it's worth it for a special occasion.

Of course I'm only talking of reds. Most white wines are best served for scrubbing floors. :p

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whites: Kabinett

Red: Burgundy - too bad I can't afford to buy it that often :(

9. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium

Red Bourgone Wines are my favorite. I little pricy, though, for my civil servant salary.

For everyday, I usually buy red Portuguese wines such as Terra de Lobos or Monte Velho.

10. webster

webster New Member

May 18, 2002
    NYC

A good Cabernet or a Zinfandel

The best wine which I have ever had which I certainly can't afford -- Stag's Leap Cask 23 Cabernet.

The splurge wine which I usually can't afford -- Jordan Cabernet.

The nice wine which I will have on weekends with a steak -- Ravenswood Zinfandel, one of the single vineyard blends. The Monte Rosso was my favorite, but I don't think that they make it any more.

My favorite inexpensive wine -- Escudo Rojo, a Chilean blend, mostly cabernet. It's about $12 or so.

11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ravenswood still does a bottling for Teldeschi, and I think they still do the Monte Rosso. The Old Hill bottling they do is the shiz-nit, but a little pricey compared to the others ($60, I think).

EDIT: oops, just checked the Ravenswood web site and no, they don't do the Monte Rosso anymore.

12. RedTommo

RedTommo New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Sydney

My favourite wine?

[​IMG]

Anything from the goon bag!

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

A red Médoc in the winter and (yes you may laugh at me) a proper Rosé in the summer.

On that note can I just rant about the fascists who think it's improper to have red with fish and white with meat. I'll drink what I'll bloody well like thanks very much.

14. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

I love Zinfandels...... My favorite is one My parents picked up when they were in Napa its from Elyse vineyards absolutely delicious.....

Also love Italian reds...

Brunello di Montalcino
    Amarone
    Barolo....

15. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN

My wine snob friends give me endless grief for it, but my favorite wine is Manischewitz Concord Grape, by a MILE above anything else.

[​IMG]

Why? Because it tastes GREAT (basically it's alcoholic grape juice) and it's the only wine I've ever heard of that's actually good on ice!

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Food Pairing: Pork Rinds, Nachos, late night runs to 7-11 for burritos. :D

17. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003

Too true. Over the years, I´ve developed a particular taste for specific styles. But there is sooooo much good stuff out there.....

Very hard to explain. But you made me think about it. I think what I´m looking for is plum. a red that fills my palate and almost makes me pucker. wierd. I hope that clears it up for ya.

It´s the easiest used to please. 99% of my guests don´t have a clue. So I keep the red for myself, and serve good old chardy for the non enthusiasts. That or a bud. :) Other wines that are good for everyone are Zindfandel and Merlot. I keep a big Gallon of Gallo Merlot, just in case a party starts. Everyone likes Merlot.

18. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003

Yup. La Rioja and adjacent regions don´t get enough attention, Spain in general for that matter. But that´s cool in my book, more for me and it keeps the wine relatively cheap!

Montecillo is a wine that I buy alot, about 6 bucks a bottle at any SM in the states. It´s good and reliable.

I drank a bottle of Ribera del Duero Reserva a few weeks back. Awesome stuff. Not too expensive, about 35 bucks. But certainly nothin to buy daily on my budget.

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Literally thousands of different things to choose.

I think I get you, but you really should open up your horizons a bit. The only way to do that is to drink a lot of wine. Which is not a bad thing, AFAIC. :)

There are a lot better alternatives to Gallo Merlot out there for about the same price.

I know it's a big thread, but read some of the stuff in the wine thread. There are some great recommendations in there.

20. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003

I´ll do that. cya @.

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Right now I'm drinking a rose from Provence. Chateau grande Cassagne, from costieres de Nimes, 2004 vintage.

Good stuff!

22. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right now, I'm drinking a Yuengling that I found in the bottom shelf of my fridge door. God only knows how long it's been there but hey, the wife's in Dallas all week and the little one just went to bed - parrrrr-tay!!

It's rather sad to be 40 and alone for the week, isn't it?

23. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN

LOL... I'll actually drink the stuff with anything if I've got it... but normally I drink it by itself, out of whatever cup is handy, no less :D

24. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion

If you like rieslings, yoou should try Alsacian wines.

[​IMG]

25. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but Magpie didn't specify the style of Riesling he liked.

Dry Alsatian Rieslings are great, but I've never been impressed by a German trocken or halb-trocken.