The "What to do about Iran" Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jul 11, 2011.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about people who contribute financially to AQ? are they legit targets of extra judicial processes such as assassination as well?

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the technology gets there......

3. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you would be remiss if you think only the US would/could pull a wag the dog here. I have already posted where groups in iran would benefit and would be likely to pull this type of situation.

Not sure why people are so willing to put on blinders on this topic.

4. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting stuff - thanks RC.
    if it can be done in an environmentally friendly manner, I'm all for it.
    I hope it doesn't have the same kind of environmental effect as fracking in natural gas extraction.

5. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What part of legit targets such as leadership confuses you?
    And since when are enemy combatants required to go through judicial process? Maybe we shouldn't be allowed to kill anyone else in Afghanistan who are AQ or Taliban, instead we should just arrest them all....:rolleyes:

6. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get a chance to reply to that post yet, but yeah, I think that's a legit point, and those questions need to be asked as well - whether there would be groups in Iran that would benefit from escalating tensions with the US. still, it doesn't explain going about it in such a clumsy manner.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can all dream right? :)

8. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be better if we didn't waste the money on the technology and instead put it towards a more eco friendly fuel source.

Even if you don't believe in global warming, I fail to see how reducing pollution is a bad thing.

9. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's a difference between a combat theater and an otherwise peaceful sovereign country. I don't know if Awlaki would fit the bill of AQ leader either. I'm just saying, there's some hypocrisy going on between the assassination of Awlaki by the US on the one hand, and our apparent outrage of Iran's plot to do the same to the Saudi ambassador.

10. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey, if you can develop a car that runs on air and craps out air or water vapor and is reasonably cheap, I'm all for that too.

11. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I provided a link where it goes into some detail about that as well.
    Bottom line is in iran the US and Israel provide a very easy target to distract the masses from the internal issues they have there. This whole plot is really a sham put on by either an internal group in iran who want to sabotage any type of recourse with the west, some neo-con group in the US to drum up another war to build whatever profits they think they can get, or it is what it appears to be on the surface.

Either way I hope this does not start a shooting war with iran as I think that is the worst situation possible. Not just for the US, but also for iran. I would hope that this will help bring pressure upon the regime in iran and maybe allow for the world to help the people of Iran regain control of their Govt.

The US cannot intervene internally in iran in any way shape or form. Given our history there it would only backfire no matter how well intentioned. Hopefully someone the people of Iran support will help them.

12. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would prefer development of alternate fuel engines, and in lieu of that, better/more efficent internal combustion engines.

13. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree. An Ambassador is quite different in form and function from a leader of a group. Awlaki was in a leadership role and defined himself as such. Plus awlaki was a member of an outlaw terror group, not an Ambassador from a soverign nation. Plus I wouldn't call yemen peaceful by any stretch of the imagination. Lets not forget they have a history of being home to AQ who have launched attacks from there, ie; USS Cole.

14. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with anything you wrote here.

15. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I wasn't trying to say that Awlaki is the same kind of target that the Saudi ambassador was. still, the similarity is that in both cases a foreign country would be killing a person (whether your own citizen, or the citizen of a foreign country) in another country that they are not at war with.
    if anything, it would seem the assassination of one of your own citizens versus a foreign citizen would be more egregious.

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, that's what a hydrogen powered vehicle would do.

17. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iKuMVqht4U"]Bomb Iran (Paul Shanklin) - YouTube[/ame]

18. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree if the person were just an activist or a political opponent or something along those lines. I feel that with awlaki he stepped into the line of fire by appearing for AQ, calling for attacks on the US and being a de facto leader. His role with AQ makes him a legit target. And conversly, Obama is a legit target for AQ, just as any General, Admiral etc... in the US armed forces. Obama because he is the CinC.

Anyway back on topic, I have some ideas about what this may lead to in the ME, especially if you connect some dots with syria and the opposition council and their relationship with iran....

19. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the funny part being that if LENR, as it seems, is for real shale oil will soon go into oblivion.

20. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    As someone who follows the politics of Iran and the US closely I have to say that the whole assassination plot sounds like a story written by some think tank either in Washington or in Tehran in order to distract the people or establish grounds for future plans. Nothing about the story makes sense and it's obvious whoever came up with the plot has ulterior motives.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if hard-line groups inside Iran actually cooperated with hard-line groups in the US to come up with something like this. Iran's government has always benefited from quarrels with the US because it's a good distraction from legitimate internal problems, and I'm sure it's a neo-con/zionist's wet dream to start a war with Iran so both sides would benefit.

21. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That isn't really all that an outlandish idea given who we are talking about.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ecurity-irantre79a5e0-20111011,0,818528.story

22. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the current Iranian regime (which I despise) seems to be 'crazy' in many aspects. Unfortunately, many outside the US also mistrust CIA's credibility (after diverse dubious things that occured in the past) ... so there's a lot of reservation/scepticism concerning this weird story when it comes to reactions from Europe & other parts of the world.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this actually happened, it would mean war between the US and Iran. Some people are actually saying that the Iranians would think that the US would not respond, which is asinine.

24. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    In other news, Iraq has WMDs. And The North Vietnamese navy attacked an American ship.

Call me skeptical. Why not assassinate the Saudi Ambassador to Iran while he is..............in Iran. :rolleyes:

25. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's as implausible as some dude sewing chemical explosives into his underwear and then setting it on fire to try to blow up a passenger plane.